Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This only happens occasionally, usually when I'm backing out of my driveway and I'm kinda manipulating the clutch, if you know what I mean, so the car won't stall. My driveway has a little hill to get up before the footpath so I have to go up slowly so I don't run anyone over, which means I can't fully release the clutch or I might stall. Anyway sometimes when I'm doing this I hear this really loud knocking noise, as soon as I hear this I always depress the clutch immediately which makes the knocking stop. It only happens when the clutch is like half way up and I'm accelerating. Sometimes happens in 1st when I'm taking off and slowly releasing the clutch. I'm thinking it could be a mount or a bearing or something?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I think I might know what it is.

Does it do it if for instance if you are creeping along, then press the clutch in real quick? How about if your just barely moving with your foot on the clutch pedal, then it happens when you press the clutch all the way in? Is it a knock that happens a few times each time, and gets quieter? (This ones hard to explain, keep reading)

If so, then its most likely your fly wheel making that noise. Supra stock flywheels are dual mass. Two pieces connected with rubber. When the clutch is engaged and there is a little load on the engine, the rubber stretches all the way to one side. The instant you presh the clutch pedal in, the rubber bounces back and forth and makes this kind of knocking sound. My car has done that with all my clutches. Even my C3500 chevy 1ton work truck does it.....because it also has a dual mass flywheel.

Hope this helps.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OVRBST said:
I think I might know what it is.

Does it do it if for instance if you are creeping along, then press the clutch in real quick? How about if your just barely moving with your foot on the clutch pedal, then it happens when you press the clutch all the way in? Is it a knock that happens a few times each time, and gets quieter? (This ones hard to explain, keep reading)

If so, then its most likely your fly wheel making that noise. Supra stock flywheels are dual mass. Two pieces connected with rubber. When the clutch is engaged and there is a little load on the engine, the rubber stretches all the way to one side. The instant you presh the clutch pedal in, the rubber bounces back and forth and makes this kind of knocking sound. My car has done that with all my clutches. Even my C3500 chevy 1ton work truck does it.....because it also has a dual mass flywheel.

Hope this helps.

I'm not too sure, I had the clutch replaced about 5 months ago but I don't know if they also replace the flywheel? It seems to make the noise if I accelerate too much without the clutch fully released so the engine is only like half engaged sorta thing.... it's hard to explain.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've heard this to be a common problem when the motor mounts go bad. I know someone who had a very loud "clunk" when he would backup. It really sounded like something in his suspension. It turned out that it was coming from the motormounts. He replaced them and the problem went away. (He has a 94 Supra Auto.)
Good Luck,

Shane

1 - 6 of 6 Posts