Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am under full boost it sounds like my car is drawing air in through the passenger vents..? Is this normal?

·
666 Posts
Well, that's where the Turbos are so I'd say yes... The K&N amplifys
the sound of the turbos boosting

463supra said:
When I am under full boost it sounds like my car is drawing air in through the passenger vents..? Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know I have had the [email protected] for about 3 years. I do not remember it being so loud. It only starts the loud (like you are blowing through all your teeth with your teeth together) sound when Im full throttle over 4K RPM. I just put in a hard pipe and HKS SS BOV on the upper stock intercooler pipe. I do not feel slower and I am getting full boost just fine, so I dont really think I have a leak, but I could be wrong.

Jeff

·
just an old toyota
128 Posts
i don't have a mkiv, but for my mkiii, i raised my boost it seems like everything is louder: intake, bov, turbo.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know this might sound a little weird but your down pipe off the turbo set up is right by the glove box side of you rcar and you might have an exhaust leak from the turbo manafold to the down pi;e check it out at any exhaust shop good luck

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks speed 101 I am going to have that checked out on Friday.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been paying more attention to this. I checked out the DP and its not leaking there. It starts to make the sound as soon as I get positive boost on my boost guage, I had said WOT earlier but after 4K when both are on line it is just much louder. WTF is it? Is there anything else that can make such a noise? can the MAF make this if its leaking? How do I check it?

Has anybody else had this happen to them?

Jeff

·
Registered
240 Posts
check for a leaking hoses or pipes not connected on all the way... u are still getting the full boost but over spooling the turbos... sounds like a loud air sucking but its air leaking.... thats how my first set of turbo were blown due to loose intercooler hoses and not finding it till its too late.... later...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BlitzTT That makes sense because I just put a hardpipe on the upper intake hose with the HKS SS BOV on it. I must be leaking from there. How does this make you overspool??

Jeff

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Overspool..

You're still making full boost but the turbos have to work twice as hard in order to make the number. They could be screaming their guts out. Look at it this way - if the wastegate were setup for 10lbs but you didn't have th eturbos hooked up to anything and were running N/A th eturbos could NEVER hit 10lbs of boost and would simply blow themselves apart trying. Is that making any sense? Boost leaks are BAD (tm).

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dang this sucks. I looked and it seems to me that it is leaking on the lower end of the hardpipe. I can see some "oil" coming from it. I only had some tiewraps to do this side. I need to find another one of those metal screw type connectors to tighten it down. Looks like I have a project for tomorrow:(

Jeff

How will I know if I screwed up my turbo's?

A

·
0 Posts
blitz tt how did you mount it on the upper intake pipe? I have one but still havent mounted it yet(hks sqv) and I am still trying to figure out where to put it any input would help

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The leaking makes sense because on top of the sucking sound I have (on occasion) heard a farting sound and I figured it was leaking around this pipe. I cut off sections of the stock pipe to make the fittings for the 2 ends of the hardpipe. Does the fact that the hardpipe has blunt ends affect airflow much? It seems like a rounded inside edge would flow air better to me. I make take it off and dremmel it out some on both sides.

Jeff

·
Registered
240 Posts
463supra.... blkmgk's explaining is correct of overspooling....I'm gonna say the first piping is your problem since u are only using tiewrap... I dont care how big the tie wrap is it just doesnt give you a good seal.... been there done that.... its a temporary fix if you were on the road or something to use tie wrap but shouldnt get into boost if your using that... it will cause your turbo to overspool so get a metal clamp and clamp it down... good luck..

amo78.... physically put that first piping on.... then get your flange to the ssbov and put it there of course not sitting on top due to it'll prolly not clear the hood.... but kinda on the side of the piping when the piping is connected.... so basically find room to put it there.... assuming u are welding the bov on there.... just make sure that flange is mounted on the side of the piping I guess thats how I would explain it... mine is about half way on the first piping.... good luck....

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BlitzTT Thank you. I did have a BIG boost leak. I bought some metal hose clamps and no more wierd sounds:rolleyes: :D ;)

Woo Hoo..back to normal

Jeff

·
Registered
240 Posts
anytime that I can help with a problem lemme know.... I probably been there and done that.... have fun with the new found power or so.... later.....

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I was only leaking for a few days. It sounded bad. I still had most of my power ( I think) at least within 50 rwhp of it:D

Jeff

·
Registered
240 Posts
yuh it is almost that much difference.... I had a boost leak before and dynoes and we heard it and then fixed it.... it would get up to 18# and drop to like 14 by redline and my rwhp was at 372 and fix it held 18# and drop to about 17 or so by redline when dyno again and I got 410 out of it and the car pulled strong after that... just simple boost leak simple same boost yet lotta power difference... glad u found it... later..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts