Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am new to this forum. in general i know how to properly use a forum, so plz dont flame lol. let me tell you my story:

i have been a huge fan of supras ever since i first seen an MKIV. thought i would never be able to get one because of their prices. so i never thought of buying one until i recently got in a car accident(the hunt for new car begins). so with a decent paying job i thought i might find an ok used one for around 15K. started searching Craigslist to see what i might find. found one rather easily. 97 MKIV TT limited edition. sounded good, and low mileage. the $5000 was the clincher. i was almost hooked but had to think about it. so i went to back to the posting to email the seller to only find the post expired/deleted. so i thought there might be others aroundin close vicinity. found one in battle creek MI. emailed and no reply for a few days. sent another and then got a reply quickly. saying this:

Hi,
My 1997 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Sport with 91xxx miles is in great shape,no engine problems,damages or hidden defects. It was always garaged. I'm a single mother with 2 children because I divorced my husband. After the divorce I got this beautiful car but I don`t need it and that's why i`m selling it so cheap. The total price is $4,900 including shipping and handling. I have recently moved to Canada after the divorce and I took the car with me, that is why i am sending it from here. The car still has US papers with a clear title so you will not have to pay any Customs taxes. The sale will be through eBay's Protection Program for our safety. Your money will be transferred to me from ebay only after you will drive, test the car and sign the contract.
Remember that time is an issue for me and I received many emails regarding the car, so please contact me to start transaction through ebay asap.

Here are some pictures from the car:

http://www.mypicx.com/10032010/STT/

Have a nice day!
Danielle

so yeah totally fishy. couldnt find on ebay(most likely will receive fake posting in an email soon) started researching on google and found many postings of the same supra for sale on CL, many with different descriptions. i was almost fooled because both CL postings used different pics. this is being spammed accross CL. beware!!!! but when i actually do get my supra i will definately need to be more active on this forum

·
King of Snark
1,521 Posts
Um why would a car whose book value is in the high 20's sell for 5k. Try looking on here in the for sale section if you are really serious to get a supra. It won't be in the 5k range but you know you are buying a car from a legit seller. I am sure you can find a high mileage tt or a nice na for around 15k

·
Registered
997 Posts
please dont fall for non sense, look on the for sale section if you want a genuine supra, no scams here.

·
The Funny Man
1,254 Posts
please dont fall for non sense, look on the for sale section if you want a genuine supra, no scams here.
Agreed! I have been searching for a year now, this place seems to be the best bet on finding what I want.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard neighbor :wavey:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Scam. My friend got scammed with this exact story except it was with an Iphone instead of a car. If you wanna be 5 grand down the drain then go for it! Paypal won't even back up the money either

·
Supra TT Coming Soon
902 Posts
dont get scmamed trust me lol this guy is full of it. And as Seattle Express said if its to good to be true. It probably is.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yup, definitely a scam. I've seen these types of posting on CL before.

The sad thing is that there are some people that will be caught by things like this.

You'll find that if you ask for follow up information you often get the same reply as previous e-mails, or they stop replying all together

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i didnt actually think it was true. i wanted to gather any info i could on it bfore i would make a purchase like that. as soon as i got the email i knew it was a scam. i know they blue book for way more than that. but it doesnt hurt to research. i only was seing one pic on the posting, so i had no clue on condition or anything. but the email came and i seen those pics many times before on other CL postings, so it was a dead giveaway for me. im not even remotely close to planning on wasting my money on scams(i think im a bit smarter than to fall for something i cant touch)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
there isnt even a way for me to pay for it. the ebay posting doesnt exist. i would have to wire transfer money through western union or some other company. and that in itself is a dumb idea for anything.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Stuff like that is obvious to me that it's fake.

I hope you are more careful in the future.

supraforums.com is the best place to find your dream supra. Right now there are plenty of supras for sale in the for sale section. Most people are asking crazy ridiculous prices for their 6 speed tt's so if you're on a budget, I would suggest looking for an auto tt or na supra at the moment till supply and demand finally get drilled into the brains of the sellers.

Good luck and welcome to Supraforums.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts