Supra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
I had a boost leak on my 94 BPU for years and didnt notice it because I still got good boost. So I finally fixed it but forgot to turn my boost controller down. I hit 25 psi 2 or 3 pulls without realizing it. Since then it wont go much over 14 psi anymore.

I did a boost leak test for the sequential system and its completely tight. Did a leak test for the whole system (plugging in pressure at the intake manifold, blocking off the air filter) and I couldnt build up much pressure.

I couldnt find a boost leak anywhere, even with soap water, so I got a smoke generator and the smoke came out through the exhaust.

I then tried to spin the crank a bit (like some people say you should do if there is a leak during that test) and it never was air-tight. At some point, when spinning the crank slowly, it would build up more pressure than at other points, but it never was close to being tight.

I noticed my timing belt is 18 years/60k miles old (only driven in summer, though) and even before this, the car would jerk a bit when letting off the gas or in idle, or sometimes (rarely) would need a few more cranks to start and that has become worse since my boost problems. So my suspicion is that it jumped a teeth or two, and maybe one more during those pulls, and now the valves wont close properly anymore at any point of the crank position.

But I also fear that it could have blown something when I did those 25 psi pulls. Maybe a piston ring? A valve seal?
Thought about doing a cylinder leak down test, but that wont really tell me whats really going on, will it?

The car isnt smoking at all.
Any input is highly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check your plugs
Sounds like that would be my first place to diagnose.
Look at gap
If there is any build up on them
Or cracked porcelain

1 - 2 of 2 Posts