Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I took my 7m-gte to Toyota who did a compression check and two of the cylinders are a bit low, as far as I know my options are limited, they are 1: have the engine rebuilt or 2: Sell the car. Do I have any more options and is it safe to still drive the car? Thanks.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At Toyota they told me that 2 of the cylinders where damaged. I don't really know if there is a loss of power, i've been too afraid to get on it. The one thing that I do know is that it feels like the car is misfiring. The numbers are 130, 150, 160, 160, 155 and 145

· Banned
5,915 Posts
Well, if it feels like its misfiring, then you have a blown headgasket. Looks like it is in cyl #1 with the 130.

Now a blownhead gasket won't damage a cylinder.

Has the car been overheating?

· 7m love... dont hate.
2,728 Posts
based of comp test it looks more like a bhg. they usually blow more towards the back and often in the front.

3 and 4 look great, 5 looks good compared to 3&4, 2 is starting to fall, and 1 wow, 6 is getting close to 1....

id suggest running a block test to see if you have combustion gas in the cooling system. if it fails that test get ready for some work to be done.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I had the car at Toyota, a systems check was performed and they did not mention anything about the headgasket, and the tech said that the previous owner had it replaced. They said that the problems were oil in spark plug tubes and bad wires. They cleaned the tubs, changed the plugs and wires, the only problem now is that one cylinder. I know I will have to have work done to fix it, but is it ok to drive in that condition? If it is ok, would it be ok to drive it hard or would I have to baby it?

· Banned
5,915 Posts
I don't recommend driving the car like that.

I suggest selling it and buying something more reliable.

· Registered
472 Posts
When I had the car at Toyota, a systems check was performed and they did not mention anything about the headgasket, and the tech said that the previous owner had it replaced. They said that the problems were oil in spark plug tubes and bad wires. They cleaned the tubs, changed the plugs and wires, the only problem now is that one cylinder. I know I will have to have work done to fix it, but is it ok to drive in that condition? If it is ok, would it be ok to drive it hard or would I have to baby it?
Oil on the plugs is an indication of ring wear, you are in need of at least a re-ring, and given the age a full rebuild if you are going to keep it long term.

If you can't afford to fix it now or don't have another vehicle to use, you can continue to drive it until you have the money for repairs, providing it is just ring wear on Cyl. #1. In the short term you will be consuming more oil and gas, and coating the inside of the exhaust system w/oil only adding to the future expense of repairs. The harder you drive it the quicker the demise will be.

· Banned
5,915 Posts
Oil on the plugs is an indication of ring wear, you are in need of at least a re-ring, and given the age a full rebuild if you are going to keep it long term.

If you can't afford to fix it now or don't have another vehicle to use, you can continue to drive it until you have the money for repairs, providing it is just ring wear on Cyl. #1. In the short term you will be consuming more oil and gas, and coating the inside of the exhaust system w/oil only adding to the future expense of repairs. The harder you drive it the quicker the demise will be.
He ment oil in the spark plugs gallery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.