Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the Supra dynoed, mod's include:

RPS T72 turbo kit
Carbonetic triple plate carbon clutch, would highly recommend these, the twin plate takes 900bhp and is very very useable and will take a lot of abuse
Whifbitz solid gearshift bushes
HKS fuel rail/HKS 1000cc injectors
HKS Ti exhaust
Bosch 044 fuel pump
Whifbitc catch tank
Blitz FMIC
Whifbitz 25 row oil cooler kit
Whifbitz full race big valve head
Jun 272 camshafts
HKS cam pulleys
AEM EMS, 3.5 bar map sensor
AEM water injection kit
Blitz SBC-ID3 boost controller
Aeromotive FPR
HKS DLi

It's running 1.4/5 bar on 99ron fuel with water injection hooked up.

On the road AFR's are spot on at 11ish, on the dyno RWHP was 476. :nervous:

Seems pretty low, also the AFR's were jumping to 13 at the top end!

Could this be that the car was strapped in too hard and as a result the ECU was seeing different load points on the map?..

The tuner and myself were expecting at least 550rwhp at that sort of boost.

Has anyone else seen this on Dyno Dynamics dyno's? or any other explanation for the AFR's jumping as they did?..

· Banned
862 Posts
Just had the Supra dynoed, mod's include:

RPS T72 turbo kit
Carbonetic triple plate carbon clutch, would highly recommend these, the twin plate takes 900bhp and is very very useable and will take a lot of abuse
Whifbitz solid gearshift bushes
HKS fuel rail/HKS 1000cc injectors
HKS Ti exhaust
Bosch 044 fuel pump
Whifbitc catch tank
Blitz FMIC
Whifbitz 25 row oil cooler kit
Whifbitz full race big valve head
Jun 272 camshafts
HKS cam pulleys
AEM EMS, 3.5 bar map sensor
AEM water injection kit
Blitz SBC-ID3 boost controller
Aeromotive FPR
HKS DLi

It's running 1.4/5 bar on 99ron fuel with water injection hooked up.

On the road AFR's are spot on at 11ish, on the dyno RWHP was 476. :nervous:

Seems pretty low, also the AFR's were jumping to 13 at the top end!

Could this be that the car was strapped in too hard and as a result the ECU was seeing different load points on the map?..

The tuner and myself were expecting at least 550rwhp at that sort of boost.

Has anyone else seen this on Dyno Dynamics dyno's? or any other explanation for the AFR's jumping as they did?..
I have heard that Dyno Dynamics usually show 10-12% less than a Dynojet. I have experienced this with my CL65. It is consistent on a Dynojet @690 RWHP and went to 630 RWHP on a Dyno Dynamics.

· Registered
1,064 Posts
Dyno dynamics read low compared to a Dynojet. I believe that a dyno dynamics is load bearing and has resistance that supposedly mimics the true load your car would have if you were on the street. Im not 100% on this though.

Those #'s do seem a tad low for what you have done to the car.

· Registered
538 Posts
if its hitting really different load point on the street (obviously you have to allow for different gear selection hitting different load sites), then tell him to change the ramp rate to reflaect something your more likely to see on the street.

· Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

Well performance on the road definitely does NOT reflect those figures.

It pulls like a train and is around 5+ lengths faster than another 550 atf Supra.

Also ran it against a T51R RX7 and it was very close.

I'm going to try and get the cams dialled in manually and see if it makes any difference. Also going to try a different dyno and see if there is any other discrepencies.

That dyno does show low figures for Jap car's in general though, not sure if the run rates need looking at or if their cooling isn't adequate, but either way that graph does not represent the way it performs.

What would normal numbers be for that sort of setup?

· Registered
294 Posts
I have a dynamics in my garden, as a hobby.

Recently been dynoing my own BMW M3 with twin 66 mm turbochargers.

The strapping makes a little difference.
If too tight, you will loose %3-7 power.

What was the tire pressure?
Sorry but up to 500-600 whp, the tire pressure makes a small effect.

How many straps were used?

How strong was the fan blowing?

Did they put the tire chocks in front of the front tires?

Was the Supra moving slightly onto the top of the roller?

Which turbo are you running?

Engine specs?

I dyno almost each day on DD and may aid.

Very important note: ARE YOU 100 % SURE THAT THE CLUTCH IS NOT SLIPPING? I had a slipping clutch and that was the limiting factor once upon a time.

Go to the road and make sure the clutch holds. Sometimes we think the clutch is fine, but it may not be.

Can you post the F2 page details, where I can comment more. F2 page details are on Dynamics menu, where we can see the rpm vs intake temps vs tractive effort vs power....

· Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a dynamics in my garden, as a hobby.

Recently been dynoing my own BMW M3 with twin 66 mm turbochargers.

The strapping makes a little difference.
If too tight, you will loose %3-7 power.

What was the tire pressure?
Sorry but up to 500-600 whp, the tire pressure makes a small effect.

How many straps were used?

How strong was the fan blowing?

Did they put the tire chocks in front of the front tires?

Was the Supra moving slightly onto the top of the roller?

Which turbo are you running?

Engine specs?

I dyno almost each day on DD and may aid.

Very important note: ARE YOU 100 % SURE THAT THE CLUTCH IS NOT SLIPPING? I had a slipping clutch and that was the limiting factor once upon a time.

Go to the road and make sure the clutch holds. Sometimes we think the clutch is fine, but it may not be.

Can you post the F2 page details, where I can comment more. F2 page details are on Dynamics menu, where we can see the rpm vs intake temps vs tractive effort vs power....

Thanks for the reply dude.

Initially the car was climbing the rollers, however the guy driving the car, asked for it to be strapped alot tighter.

There was a little movement but not enough for the front wheels to move onto the chocs in place.

They used the normal 2 at the back plus a limit strap as well as the front 2 straps.

The Fan was good, although there isn't an extraction fan.

Turbo as 1st post is a T72 turbo, stock short engine with race heads and Jun 272 cams.

I don't think the clutch was slipping as the graph didn't show any discrepencies that may indicate slippage.

In your experience would a slight slip show up on the graph?

I will try and get the other figures from the Dyno guys as well to post up....

Thanks again, all info is appreciated

· Registered
294 Posts
1- Lower tire pressure down to 5 psi. Strap the car very tight and THEN inflate to 50 psi.

2- You may not diagnose clutch slip.
We had a clutch slip issue last year.
Could not notice on the graph. As power built over 7000 rpm, and boost was kicking seriously, clutch was slipping. Noticed that on highway.

3- What is the brand/model of your clutch system?

4-Did you get a port and polish on your head? Larger valves?

5- Never ever use semi slicks or slicks on DD.
Harder compound tires M U S T be used. This means treadwear of 180 and upwards.

Did you see chunks of tire rubber inbetween the rollers or right at the back of the car? Meaning wheel spin?

· Time for change
14,584 Posts
DD dynos are the worst dynos to go to from operator to operator. I've seen such crazy swings from those things. I want to say the machine is a POS, but it probably isn't it's probably due to calibration...

With that said, Typically DD are the lowest reading dynos out there, much lower than mustang dynos...

The irony is that DD owners eat up the bait DD literature states by saying its the most accurate. Which is BS, because SAE engineers' power numbers most closely represent dynojet numbers. Take that for what it's worth.

Dynapak reads like 4-7% higher than dynojet. Dynojet, Mustang, Eddy Current dynos (read dyno dynamics).

ALL dynos are a great tool, you just have to use the same dyno to show your before and after. Unles you use dynojet, those f'ers seem to be spot on in the 8 different shops I have been to. They always seem to be consistant...

· Premium Member
6,420 Posts
The irony is that DD owners eat up the bait DD literature states by saying its the most accurate. Which is BS, because SAE engineers' power numbers most closely represent dynojet numbers. Take that for what it's worth.
Well what it's worth, it's a common knowledge in Europe that all Dynojets read very high numbers compared to the dynos in Europe. Dynojets dont have even brakes (to load the dyno) in them so you could actually tune the car in rear world road conditions. I dont understand why you US guys even use them? To get higher numbers so you can brag about them?

· Inline for the win
6,404 Posts
I don't recommend drag radials for continous pulls on a DD. During the tuning of a friend's car, I quickly experienced rubber debris being expelled from the rear tires after a couple pulls. Since this issue, I do recommend street tires at 32-35 psi during the used of this type of dyno.

DP

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.