Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i made it to the dyno to get some numbers today on my setup.
It was on a rototest

Supra Mkiv TT
Aem ems
Its72mm turbo 0.96ar.
3.5 downpipe and exhaust.
1680cc injectors
hks 272s
And so on.

I got 537rwhp at 22-23psi on e85 seems abit low i think.

Also i thougt it was bulding boost pretty slow, felt like something was holding it back.

I checked the turbo when i got home, it spins very easy cold if you spin it by hand. but when hot it turns kinda hard, is this normal?
Also it had started to rubb alot against the compressorhousing.
So i know the turbo is starting to go but i was wondering if it could cause the low number.
i was thinking if it flows less air then it should but still holding 22psi off boost can that be possible?
Ore could it effect the engine beacause its hard to get it to spin and hold boost.

· DoRi?
1,064 Posts
Check for shaft plau. Reach in there and grab the nut on the comp wheel. Wiggle it up down side to side and in n out youll know if its too much. If it hittimg the comp cover it needs a rebuild unless your comp cover is loose

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its wearing alot on the compressor cover, thats why i was wondering if its possible it could be the turbo that was causing the low numbers.
If its holding 23 psi but maybe is flowing less then it should, should it be hard to turn when hot??

I offcores take the turbo as a option for the low numbers because it looks like its done.
I was just wondering if it could effect the dyno numbers evan if its holding the boost..

I will offcorse also check the engine, i went over fluids and sparkplugs today to see any signs of something wrong.
But i have a feeling about the turbo
Regards Anders

· Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Its wearing alot on the compressor cover, thats why i was wondering if its possible it could be the turbo that was causing the low numbers.
If its holding 23 psi but maybe is flowing less then it should, should it be hard to turn when hot??

I offcores take the turbo as a option for the low numbers because it looks like its done.
I was just wondering if it could effect the dyno numbers evan if its holding the boost..

I will offcorse also check the engine, i went over fluids and sparkplugs today to see any signs of something wrong.
But i have a feeling about the turbo
Regards Anders
How is the in/out play on the shaft? If the compressor wheel is scribing into the compressor cover it is hurt

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How is the in/out play on the shaft? If the compressor wheel is scribing into the compressor cover it is hurt
The in and out play isnt bad, but its scribing against the compressor cover so i think its hurt.
But could a turbo thats almost gone but still holding boost, flow less and give lower numbers? my English arent so good, im from sweden lol.
But what im wondering if is a turbo thats not well but still boosts lika 22psi can flow less then the same turbo in good condition that also boosts 22psi?
Also its hard to turn the shaft when its hot.

· Registered
4,623 Posts
Dude.. if your compressor wheel is rubbing on the compressor housing it is over due for a rebuild, and yes that will 100% for sure affect your dyno numbers.

Rebuild the turbo before you have a total failure.

· Premium Member
5,399 Posts
ITS turbos are known to fail quick anyhow. But as others have said if teh wheel is hitting the compressor housing, its time to rebuild or get another turbo....preferably not an ITS. They went out of business for a reason.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, i will do a compression test on the cylinders tonight just to be sure, but i havent seen any signs of bad compression.
Yeah the rotortest almost always give lower numbers, they say its more accurate.
but i will definitly not drive the car with that turbo.
Anyone have a turbo 72-76mm to sell ;) ?

· Registered
2,883 Posts
Does anyone know ho made the ITS turbochargers was it ITS themself ore a known manufacturer? and then ITS made some changes to it.
Was thinking if i will get it rebuilt.
Comp turbo can repair your turbo.. www.compturbo.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.