Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, i am new to the forum. i got REALLY lucky and found a 87 supra in mint condition.
7MGE 3.0 AUTO NON-Turbo (yet)
40,000 miles. a interior intact no rust.
(already bought wheels/ coil overs being delivered)

Found off craigslist the guy said he bought it from an old lady who's husband had it garaged up. I'm currently working properly maintaining the car and giving it a good life.
2 days with it and its fine. it has no AC Freon recharge and i blasted it on a hot day thus overheating the engine and spitting out coolant.

i let it cool down, and was told by my best friend who owned an 85' and recommended i replace thermostat. i already planned to take it to a shop to a get proper diagnosis, i'm aware of head gasket, lubrication issues, etc on the 7MGTE.

I do not care i saved up money and now have the time to work on this car. I have spent the last week researching if i should just rebuild and maintain the 7MGTE or what i am reading is to replace for a 2JZ. I would like the 1JZ preferably but from what i'm aware i can only engine swap if same manufacturer same year or higher. so that means i can swap to 2JZ?

I've been informed that the JDM 2JZ-GTE (Aristo) motors have no EGR and that I will fail California emissions (SMOG) as a result.

I found a local JDM import shop that carries such engines but would like to learn more on the subject so I can start building a legal and reliable car.

i see a lot of misinformation regard the engines and which is better, as of right now i'm leaning towards JZ engines for reliability but then again i do have an almost new engine already.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Congrats on becoming a new owner of a nice clean Mk3 Supra.
I'm also in California and one of the main reasons I'm keeping my OEM 7M motor is the strict emissions testing.

My take is to not mod an original mint condition Supra. More than likely to have more value in the future, just something to consider.
Otherwise, check this out if you haven't already: Your 1JZ-GTE And 2JZ-GTE Swap Guide For Dummies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on becoming a new owner of a nice clean Mk3 Supra.
I'm also in California and one of the main reasons I'm keeping my OEM 7M motor is the strict emissions testing.

My take is to not mod an original mint condition Supra. More than likely to have more value in the future, just something to consider.
Otherwise, check this out if you haven't already: Your 1JZ-GTE And 2JZ-GTE Swap Guide For Dummies
Thank You. i might just leave the engine as is then, do you think i should get the OEM turbo?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank You. i might just leave the engine as is then, do you think i should get the OEM turbo?
I thought the non turbo na was a bad idea to turbo up? I been reading a lot but my rentention sucks so I could be wrong but I’m interested in what you are going to do if you make it turbo I just bought a 87 Supra as my first project car and my engine and motor is great so keep us posted!

·
Registered
144 Posts
You're welcome.
And on getting the OEM turbo, I would say to go for it. I could be wrong but CA Smog test technician are still looking at a factory Toyota engine after turbo conversion (assuming OEM parts are used).
Maybe others with more knowledge and experience can give some insight.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I thought the non turbo na was a bad idea to turbo up? I been reading a lot but my rentention sucks so I could be wrong but I’m interested in what you are going to do if you make it turbo I just bought a 87 Supra as my first project car and my engine and motor is great so keep us posted!
There's existing discussions on this, here's one: The Big QUESTION for the 7m
Or look for a 7MGTE motor :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is like the 3rd thread in recent history(last week) on both forums a new member got a low mileage, old person's Supra; that on subsequent drives have had it throw up coolant and overheat, with all 3 thinking its something simple and nbd. You guys may have missed the number 1 hit for the 7M... Take care of that head gasket! These cars are over 30 years for the love of god please don't go out for rides BEFORE getting all of the maintenance up to date. Otherwise, something will break or blow and then ANOTHA ONE, in the scrap yard..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts