Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
From the land down under
3,877 Posts
I have never owned those Greddy gauges, but was always under the impression that the warning level was adjustable, as there is no way they could be sold with a one size fits all warning level for so many different platforms.

Can you see any way to adjust it?

Also, 2 bar doesnt seem like a low number at idle to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A fully warm engine at idle should be around 2bar from what I've read. Oil viscosity, GE or GTE, oil squirters, oil pump etc. all factor into it but I'd say you're fine where you are

·
Registered
161 Posts
30 psi at idle isn't that bad especially if you are running lightweight oil, the motor is warmed up, and idle is low... If it were down at 10-15 I would worry....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Honestly wouldn't worry about it unless you are seeing a steady decline.... It could idle at 30 psi for the life of the engine and never be an issue. If it bothers you that much just try some 10w40 or 15w40 at the next oil change and the pressure should come up some.

What your oil pressure does as the engine RPMs come up is exponentially more important.

·
Boost Junkie
12,455 Posts
#1 -what is your idle RPM? Most of us that are replying here are idling higher than a stock ECU will idle. My car idles around 900-1000rpms and I see 32-34 psi at idle on a built engine with 15/50 Amsoil race oil. On my stock engine it idled at 600-750rpm (stock ecu) and oil pressure was 18-21psi. That was a healthy oil pressure for a stock motor. The higher the idle, the higher the pressure obviously. You can adjust that gauge as well. There are directions on google.

Steve

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,294 Posts
I like to see 20psi per 1000 RPMs. 10psi per 1000 RPMs is a bare minimum.

·
Boost Junkie
12,455 Posts
I like to see 20psi per 1000 RPMs. 10psi per 1000 RPMs is a bare minimum.
20PSI per 1000 is fine for lower RPMs, but too high for higher RPMs. It's a measure of resistance in the motor. You don't need 140PSI of oil pressure for good lubrication and protection at 7000rpms.

Steve

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,294 Posts
20PSI per 1000 is fine for lower RPMs, but too high for higher RPMs. It's a measure of resistance in the motor. You don't need 140PSI of oil pressure for good lubrication and protection at 7000rpms.
Haha, good point...I didn't specify that I was refering to idle (which the OP was concerned about) and up to mid RPMs.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Haha, good point...I didn't specify that I was refering to idle (which the OP was concerned about) and up to mid RPMs.
You had me a little concerned there for a moment... I remember a particular 7m years ago that was blowing oil filters apart (perhaps just blowing out the gasket at the mounting surface?) because its idle pressure was something like 90, or 110 psi. It's been a long time, but it brought back a vague memory.

I can't say as though I've ever really paid much mind to the oil pressure at idle for my setup. I think it's around 45, 50 psi cold 1100+ rpm idle, maybe 30psi warm 1000 rpm idle? Not a stock engine though, so probably not much use here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts