Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have an oil pressure problem that I am very paranoid about. Here are some important facts to know. I have no loss of oil, my oil levels are full, there are no leaks, no oil is being burned up. This is on a 7mgte btw. Last night I drove about 160 miles in total and I've replaced the stock unit but oil pressure levels appeared quite low last night. I got a reading from about 20-25psi when I was doing 80-90 mph. Which is between 3k-3.2k rpm. I don't understand why oil pressure all of a sudden became so low considering I am not losing any oil and I am ful of oil. I was thinking maybe that over time oil loses its weight and pressures will decrease a little possibly. I am using 10w30 synthetic. The car runs fine though, no problem the way she starts up or rides. Just wondering why the lower oil pressure

·
Unlimited Time Attack A70
3,580 Posts
synthetic oil is generally thinner, also the 7mgte was not designed for synthetic oil. You may have worn bearings, causing oil to escape from the journals causing lower pressure. You know if your oil pump is worn out? theres many of possibilitys

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how. How can you tell if the pump is worn? And this isn't an occurring thing, this happened recently within the last week. Oil pressures were fine about a week ago. It's that all of a sudden they seemed to drop lower than usual. But I'm not losing any oil.

·
3,580 Posts
I'd hook a oil pressure gauge up to the block to get an idea of what pressure you're seeing at idle and throughout the rpm range. If you lose a bearing or something that has pressurized oil feeding to it it can drop oil pressure because there is excessive clearance. Are you using the stock oil pressure gauge? Have you verified that that's operating correctly? You gotta make sure things are working properly so you can properly diagnose an issue like that

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I am using the stock one. It was working fine last week, it showed consistent 35 psi pressures at 3k and then all of a sudden it just doesn't work correctly. Idle is about 10psi. 2k rpm it consistently jumps to 20. But anything above 2k it won't budge. So maybe the gauge is malfunctioning because if there's excessive clearance wouldn't oil be burning up and I'd see smoke from the exhaust pipe?

·
3,580 Posts
If you had excessive clearance in a bearing it would either spin, spit it out or chew it up, all of which would either make your motor knock, or cause serious damage depending on how bad. A different scenario for example would be where the cams rest in the head, excessive clearance can cause reduced oil pressure but you wouldn't spin a bearing Cuz there isn't cam bearings. All of these kinds of faults are internal to the oiling system so there will be no leak or loss of fluid. Like I said get a oil pressure gauge tool and screw it into a port on the block that's tapped into an oil passage so you know for certain what your blocks pressure truely is. This will rule out so many things and will point you towards the oil pressure diaphragm and or the gauge it's self.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Personally haven't looked into it much yet but all stock 7m-ge here with low oil pressure readings also, everything seems in order as well so I will do as suggested above at some point. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
synthetic oil is generally thinner, also the 7mgte was not designed for synthetic oil.
What kind of FUD is this?
The only way synthetic oil (or conventional oil for that matter) would be thinner is by the rating. 5w30 would be 'thinner' than 10w40 whether it be synthetic or conventional. 5w30 synthetic will be the same as 5w30 conventional. The only change is that synthetic will hold that 5w30 rating better than the conventional over the mileage driven. Synthetic oils by design provide better lubrication than conventional. Think of it as the difference in a prepped ice skating surface to an unprepared surface. Both are gonna be slick and you can bust your ass on either. The prepped surface is just that much more slick.
There is no such thing as 'designing an engine' for synthetic oil. Some manufacturers recommend synthetic oil over conventional for the better lubricity offered by the synthetic so they can get better fuel mileage ratings. In a nutshell that is all it is about. Here in the US the lower your EPA gas mileage rating the higher the 'tax' assessed to the entire brand line up.. This is why we now have Ram 1500 pick ups instead of Dodge Ram pickups.

·
3,580 Posts
What kind of FUD is this?
The only way synthetic oil (or conventional oil for that matter) would be thinner is by the rating. 5w30 would be 'thinner' than 10w40 whether it be synthetic or conventional. 5w30 synthetic will be the same as 5w30 conventional. The only change is that synthetic will hold that 5w30 rating better than the conventional over the mileage driven. Synthetic oils by design provide better lubrication than conventional. Think of it as the difference in a prepped ice skating surface to an unprepared surface. Both are gonna be slick and you can bust your ass on either. The prepped surface is just that much more slick.
There is no such thing as 'designing an engine' for synthetic oil. Some manufacturers recommend synthetic oil over conventional for the better lubricity offered by the synthetic so they can get better fuel mileage ratings. In a nutshell that is all it is about. Here in the US the lower your EPA gas mileage rating the higher the 'tax' assessed to the entire brand line up.. This is why we now have Ram 1500 pick ups instead of Dodge Ram pickups.
5w30 is 5w30 is 5w30, you're correct. What you're missing is synthetic oils by design have a smaller molecular structure. This with better lubricity like you stated could be viewed as something that could escape a seal better due to it being molecularly smaller and slipperier. Thats all I was saying. The 7mgte was not designed and built around synthetic oil. End of story. He's trying to figure out an oiling issue so I'd suggest putting the correct oil in to achieve proper readings and proper diagnosis

·
Registered
135 Posts
There is no motor designed around synthetic oil. Every motor will benefit the same from synthetic oil. There is no magical metal created for synthetic oil. That is the fallacy of your statement that I am trying to let everyone know about.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

·
3,580 Posts
There is no motor designed around synthetic oil. Every motor will benefit the same from synthetic oil. There is no magical metal created for synthetic oil. That is the fallacy of your statement that I am trying to let everyone know about.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
There's many motors designed to run synthetic oil. Say 0w20. It uses that thickness oil for many reasons. Try finding a non synthetic 0w20. You likely won't. It was DESIGNED with tighter tolerances due to the face that synthetic oil has smaller molecules and obviously is 0w20 .. No magic metal here sir........

·
4,932 Posts
There's many motors designed to run synthetic oil. Say 0w20. It uses that thickness oil for many reasons. Try finding a non synthetic 0w20. You likely won't. It was DESIGNED with tighter tolerances due to the face that synthetic oil has smaller molecules and obviously is 0w20 .. No magic metal here sir........
That's not designed around synthetic oil, that's designed around 0w20 oil and most of it happens to be synthetic. Again, it was not DESIGNED for synthetic oil it was DESIGNED for 0w20. That's not even an argument.

Synthetic will leak out of seals if your seals are crap.

Didn't someone just have a low oil pressure thread come up within the last month or two? They were low on oil a quart if I remember correctly.

·
3,580 Posts
Perhaps thinner was not the correct word to use. My intention is not to give out misinformation. Thanks for going out of your way to prove me wrong

·
4,932 Posts
Pretty sure we knew what you meant haha, half the stories about synthetic oil I hear are 'I used it in my (insert vehicle here) that I've had for 30 years and everything leaks now!'

·
3,580 Posts
That's not designed around synthetic oil, that's designed around 0w20 oil and most of it happens to be synthetic. Again, it was not DESIGNED for synthetic oil it was DESIGNED for 0w20. That's not even an argument.

Synthetic will leak out of seals if your seals are crap.

Didn't someone just have a low oil pressure thread come up within the last month or two? They were low on oil a quart if I remember correctly.
0w20 is synthetic oil..... So saying it was designed for 0w20 is the same thing and saying it was designed for synthetic oil.

·
3,580 Posts
Pretty sure we knew what you meant haha, half the stories about synthetic oil I hear are 'I used it in my (insert vehicle here) that I've had for 30 years and everything leaks now!'
Lolol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts