Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like I said way back when, I finally removed it. I havent seent many people at all with this "mod", let alone front shots like this. I personally cant stand the horizontal and verticle lines like that, so I took off the whole grill. Now I'm thinking the best bet would be to leave it in and cut off all of the crosses to just leave the outline.

Overall, I like it a bit better. Showing off the stock crappy-as-fuck FMIC and the oil cooler (hard to see in the pic, but IRL its actually very noticeable), a free mod, and a different looking car. I'd like to get a custom 89+ bumper made actually, but not only do I not have the money yet, but I am still designing it. So whats everybody's thoughts?

·
Registered
343 Posts
To each his own. The lower grill did have a purpose though, it directs airflow up through the I/C as the veins are tilted slightly up and it also serves somewhat as a gaurd for your parts so they don't take direct hits from big objects while driving. If anything, I'd put some stainless steel mesh up there to protect your parts. Personally, I like the stock piece.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
clifftrail said:
If anything, I'd put some stainless steel mesh up there to protect your parts. Personally, I like the stock piece.
I actually had planned to replace both grills with ZO6 type mesh. Now I'm thinking the top one looks fine and great....dont know how I'd put the Toyota emblem there (looks GREAT stock) so I'd just do the lower one

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The oil cooler is more important than the stock IC IMO. If it goes, I could care less. Least efficient thing on the entire car, even more so than the stock side intake manifold thign

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
RTA Supra- u got pics of the mesh u have? i plan on removing my frill also on my 89...wanted to see how it looked

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have mine with the wire mesh as well... not sure if I like the looks so much of a bright silver mesh on the red car... I may paint the mesh black... ill get some pics up as soon as I can

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah...there are like 5 clips on the top and 4-5 screws on the bottom. The bottom phillips head has to be a bit short to fit between the IC and the screws, but most screw drivers will be fine. the top clips just need a bit of yanking...supposedly you need to unclip them somewhere, but I only had trouble with one and just ripped it all out with only a very small plastic piece broken off the grill piece

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Maybe it is the angle but the opening on your bumper looks bigger than mine :confused: Did you cut anything out?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
imo to pull off the cut stock bumper look you should have a huge fmic, just looks naked without it, like i said to the last thread about this a day ago, you need to take some touch up paint to place where it was cut

josh

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And like I said in this thread, nothing was cut :rolleyes:

I understand completly what you mean about the FMIC. Thats pretty high on my list of things to do, but not at the top. Its like when ricers get these huge ass 19"+ rims and still have the stock 7" brakes...looks like complete shit to me.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
either way cut or just removed if looks bad without something filling it in, its naked, so it is like your ricers rims comparison, big whole nothing filling it in

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dunno man...looking at it again looks like theres only a few inches on each side of the oil cooler/FMIC combo...covered up nicely I'd say :dunno:

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Smooth out the cuts and paint that fugger and it'll look alot better... I dont like the grill either, so on my last two Supras I put in mesh... That looked alot better IMO... I dunno if I'll do mesh over the grill in my new Supra because I dont want to hinder airflow to my spearco... But it does look alot better with out the "teeth" in the front, especially on those pre-89s...

ELI!!! You finally filled that big hole in the front :) Post up some pics brother....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts