Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Springs

First, the car is a '94 J-spec 5-speed.

My car is on stock suspension since I've bought it, and with the current wheel setup (F 235/40/18, R 265/35/18 Rear offset +36), it looks like it's going to take off like a plane. I plan to lower the front a bit (see pic for tire/fender gap) to give it a nice stance, but I don't want to slam as it is my DD and as the rear tires would rub the fenders (not rolled). I plan to do something like a -10mm on the front and -5mm on the rear. Is there any alignment issue to be expected with those values? How should I correct them? Front tires wear really evenly, rear tires wear on the inside.
Any advice anyone? I was told that using only springs on the Supra NA would break the balance of the car, has anyone experienced something like this before?

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
I never tried lowering springs with any of the cars I've owned. However, I believe with the Supra, there is a problem particularly with the driver side if you plan to lower the car. The driver side tends to sag lower than the other areas if you decide to change the stock suspension.

I suspect you will have a problem the driver side sagging a little lower than the other corners if you just go with lowering springs. I purchased adjustable coilovers and I had to adjust the driver side a little higher to compensate for the sag.

I also heard that doing a combo with Eibach lowering springs and KYB shocks have the sagging driver side problem also.

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, you mean that your setting is assymetrical, right? Does it affect the handling in any way as the travel of the shocks is different from one side to another?

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
heavyfoot said:
So, you mean that your setting is assymetrical, right? Does it affect the handling in any way as the travel of the shocks is different from one side to another?
I forgot to mention, the sag is at the driver side front wheel (This is for US spec Supras, I don't know if JDM Supras have this same problem). The rears are fine.

Because I haven't taken my Supra with the different height stance, I can only speculate that normal driving handling wouldn't really be affected. On the roadcourse, I suspect there will be a slight difference in handling. However, I believe you may be able change the spring rate and dampening rate on more expensive coilovers if your really picky on having all 4 corneres to be in balance for the road courses.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The sagging issue has been discussed before, and that comes with or without lowering springs. Mine had it before, and then I swapped in Eibach's and KYB shocks and it maintained the same proportions, just lower. The Eibach springs lower 1.2" front, 1.0" in back. I'm NA as well, with 245/40/18 front and 275/35/18. I have NO rubbing issues whatsoever, and neither should anyone, as long they are wheels are the right offset.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts