Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Search
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With search only searching for one word its going to take me a VERY long time to try and find the threads i'm sure are already floating around...

I'm going to be buying some 18 inch wheels from a buddy and putting 40 or 45 series tires on... my car is definatly going to need to be lowered.

just from a glance it would seem i would want to drop the car more than 1.5 inches or so, but that seems to be the max any springs drop it down...

here's the redundant question.... which springs would be the best to go with? please post reasons and pictures!

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
i got the arospeed springs and tokico blue shocks and i like it. i dont love it but i like it. If i had to do it all over again tho....i would wait and save a little more and get coilovers.

i believe it gave a 1.5 inch drop all the way around and this is on 17 inch IS300 wheels with 45 or 50 series tires.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Justin, by chance do you have the TEMS system in your car? if you do, best thing to do if you want to keep that is to get the tokiko illumina II shocks (TEMS compatible) with a set of H&R springs. That is what I had in my previous supra and it did justice and not just that, the car sat at a really nice height. I saved the suspension from that supra after I sold her however i am gonna keep them since I am about to get a hold of another one. I would have to say that they have been in use for about 8,000 miles and the last time they where in use, they held up well and the response of the car was still preety quick as it is suppose to be when you lower her. That to me was a good shock and spring combo i have ever had.

·
Registered
671 Posts
While I agree with getting full coilovers (I have full tein and megan coilovers on my wrx and my wife's wrx), if you have good stock shocks, the eibach prokit works well. I have them on my 91 turbo and the ride is excellent.

as a daily driver, I am going to stick with the eibachs. Driving the WRX daily with the Tein Flex and Megans are a pain. The ride is jarring and the upper mounts clank all the time. It makes the car feel cheap... and the Flex makes loud "whooshing" noises when going over bumps (the wrx model does, I don't know about the ones for a supra). Handles damn good though, it just depends on what your priorities are. Do you want just looks, or are you really going to drive the car hard?

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368541

·
Registered
596 Posts
on 18's lowering springs might look good.. but on 17's IMO there is too much gap.. i hate gap its ugly

^^Mattjk where in oc do you live.. that picture looks somewhere right near my house

·
Registered
671 Posts
I live in Huntington Beach, and I took that picture on Hoover Ave, in West Minster.

·
Registered
671 Posts
a_zepeda9236 said:
on 18's lowering springs might look good.. but on 17's IMO there is too much gap.. i hate gap its ugly
yeah, I think the front is perfect, but I'd like to lower the back a bit.

·
Search
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
unfortunatly i cannot justify spending 1000 dollars on coilovers... I don't have that kind of cash :)

I don't have TEMS, so I'm clear in that way... what I'm looking to achieve is a look similar to this:

(these are the wheels i'm getting too...)

there's no rubbing on that car at all, and you can barely fit your finger between the fender and wheell... that's my ideal look :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
you can go with ground-control coilovers. just have them piece together a softer spring rate for the stock shocks. They are around $350 I believe.

But, if you go that low with the stock shocks, you're going to be riding on the bump stops and your shocks will only last around 1000 miles.

·
Search
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mattjk said:
you can go with ground-control coilovers. just have them piece together a softer spring rate for the stock shocks. They are around $350 I believe.

But, if you go that low with the stock shocks, you're going to be riding on the bump stops and your shocks will only last around 1000 miles.
is ground control the brand? if not i don't konw what that means :) I don't know much about suspension.

I'm going to go with new shocks too... which ones i have no idea, but i'm going to do springs and shocks at the same time :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Justin said:
is ground control the brand? if not i don't konw what that means :) I don't know much about suspension.

I'm going to go with new shocks too... which ones i have no idea, but i'm going to do springs and shocks at the same time :)
http://www.ground-control.com/

It's not a matter of new shocks... stock length shocks are too long too be lowered much. They are designed to be at a certain ride height. The lower you go, the less shock travel you'll have before it hits the bump stops. When that happens, you'll start damaging the shocks.

With full coilovers, they are usually shorter and you can also adjust ride height by altering the overall length of the shock.

Here is a picture of the Megan oilcovers on my wife's wrx. See the difference in overall length? They are also double adjustable for ride height and pre-load on the springs.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
i also have those arospeed lowering springs with monroe sensatracs... i'm satisfied with my suspension.. i was hoping the front would be slightly lower... but for the price i got the springs i can't complain... car rides slightly better than stock btw

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I had Bilstiens + Eibach's... The Bilstiens have 3 different height settings, might be what your looking for. I've sold them for complete adjustablity, I went with D2 36 way adjustable coilovers.

·
DON'T BLAME ME!!!
826 Posts
Get lowered

H&R...That is all you need to know, if you just want to get it down there! They are the most agressive drop for any lowering springs. If you put new springs over worn-out stock struts though, you are asking for trouble. Just buy some new Illumina's, with your springs, and you will be good to go! Or, plunk down the big $$$ for some real coil-overs, like the high end Teins, or Cusco's, and rock your kidneys right out of the normal locale! :bigthumb:

·
Search
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
91T "Sun Snail" said:
H&R...That is all you need to know, if you just want to get it down there! They are the most agressive drop for any lowering springs. If you put new springs over worn-out stock struts though, you are asking for trouble. Just buy some new Illumina's, with your springs, and you will be good to go! Or, plunk down the big $$$ for some real coil-overs, like the high end Teins, or Cusco's, and rock your kidneys right out of the normal locale! :bigthumb:

H&R's and Illuminas.... sounds like a combo I'll go price out right now.

I CANNOT justify spending that kind of money on coilovers when I don't care that much... Its for looks, that's all... the only racing I ever do is down the strip, and its just to beat the car next to me... i'm not hardcore into racing like that :)

edit: HPF says Illuminas are 97.97 front, and same for rear... is that each, or is that for both front, and both rear?

also, would there be any difference going down one level? I don't need adjustability....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts