Supra Forums banner

421 - 440 of 525 Posts

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Yessir, I made a pattern of the front windshield out of construction paper and had the windshield made at a local shop. I brought the side glass with and just had them make copies of those. I still need to get the hatch piece made.

Marc-P said:
Dave, you don't happen to have some polycarbonate action going on there? Where could one procure such a thing?

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
im gonna read this thread after because like steve the op, i aswell am very interested in dropping weight. i want to post this before i see what everyone else said to possibly make my response biased.

my reason is simple. i put my 2 12" subs in a big sealed MDF wood box and the results were amazing... amazingly bad.

the sub+box combo prolly weighed 50-75 lbs and i noticed it huge. accelerating in 1st gear was slightly noticeable. but 2nd gear was horrible 75-100% throttle i could easily feel added weight and i pretty much couldnt spin the tires like i could before in 2nd. 60-140km/h was the biggest loss in speed that i noticed.

the only good thing about the lead weights (aka subs) in there was that it made my suspension spongier with my EDFC set to hardest, the car was noticeably smoother over potholes, etc (especially at lower speeds like 50km/h or less)

with that said my car weighs 1530kg (3373 lbs) with no driver
18x9 advan rg1 rims (light, forged aluminum)
hardtop
spare tire removed
driver seat is a recaro bucket, passanger is stock, rear seats still exist in the car(for now)
[edit after reading thread] pardon me i should add that my car is bpu+fmic and has 357.5rwhp @ 1.1bar
when i weighed my car i had over 3/4 tank gas. and my car is also jspec so i dont have airbag or egr/MAF
with 360hp you will garaunteed notice 50 lbs. im obsessed with sound systems in my cars, and my supra will have none of it. that should say alot about what 50-75lb subs do.

i took my subs out because even though i LOVE quality music.... i hate driving around knowing i could accelerate faster with 2 minutes of effort (removal time of sub box)

my car also decelerates downhill easier with the subs out
i have a feeling the clutch engages easier and quicker now aswell with the subs out (especially when starting on a hill.... and dont even think about TTC mode with subs in)
clutch is noisier with the weight removed
car brakes faster and easier with the subs removed (this is key)

im sure theres other things aswell, but those are the things that instantly come to mind when i think about what happened when i added weight.

---------
if you want to weigh your car, go on the highway and find a truck scale
the scale should be on 24/7 and you can just drive into the 'truck stop' and drive onto the scale and see what the digital readout says on the pole nearby. then just drive away.
it will take you like 1 minute entry to exit.
dont be scared, no one will yell at you
---------

heres my car last week at a truck scale :)

i also found out that i weigh 70kg. my car weighs 1600kg with me in it. lol (im skinny, 6'3". lucky for me when it comes to driving... my lankyness comes in handy)

[bonus edit] nice thread, some amazing curb weights exist in here. im envious :)
oh and also rofl, sorry to bump this 1800 year old thread.. dunno how i managed to do that.

·
Administrator
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
Hey Adam,

Thanks for your contribution to this thread. After reading about your own experiences I couldn't help but think that the reason that you're not getting wheelspin in second gear anymore with the sub box in is due to the added weight over the rear tires. A simple experiment would be to try the same kind of test with your fuel tank empty and full. That could help explain the traction differences at least. :)

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,587 Posts
to reduce the heat from inside the car

·
Registered
233 Posts
when i bought my car it was weighed during emission testing with a guy in it at 3600 pounds im bpu, downpipe but stock midpipe with the cats and exhaust is stock as well i have 17 rims momos i think.
soz for bump

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Hey Adam,

Thanks for your contribution to this thread. After reading about your own experiences I couldn't help but think that the reason that you're not getting wheelspin in second gear anymore with the sub box in is due to the added weight over the rear tires. A simple experiment would be to try the same kind of test with your fuel tank empty and full. That could help explain the traction differences at least. :)
oops didnt see this til now. i cant really test those traction issues i noticed, anymore. but i truely noticed that the seat of the pants feeling was faster spool and less traction in 2nd gear with the sub box out. (by faster spool i mean the car went from like 2k rpm to 5k rpm faster)
nowadays my car probably weighs similar, full stereo included, and im running about double the power so its hard to notice wheelspin changes. especially 2nd gear. its pretty much useless now at WOT. (but the car feels more nimble with low fuel and/or zero passangers)

i would LOVE to see how my car drives at 3100 or 3200 lbs. she would freakin rip around town.

i feel a bit out of place in this thread though. my 1500kg car is something like 3375lbs so im doing good weight wise but im definitely not in the same league as most of you guys. i just cranked up the power to offset the piggish frame :) albeit i cranked up the power a bit too much for a street car. she really scares me now.
ive always felt my car was light though. with a lightweight flywheel and laggy turbo i cant say that i have any complaints about her bottom end power.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Bump this back up, I don't know how more supra guys aren't into serious "dieting"

I'm pretty certain mine is one of the lightest in the county, I'll post weight in a few weeks when it's driveable, over the first 2 years I had it I took out weight when I could but this winter, with alot less work to do to the car, I took out another 100 pounds or so. My goal is have one of the lightest supras in the country, while still having "full interior" by full interior I mean both front seats, dash, door cards, carpet, my titan rear seat delete (which is a great piece) and everything in the trunk. I want to hide it's true colors, which is cut up tin can! All of the interior from the front seats back including the rear seat delete weighs under 10 pounds combined.

Some of the stuff I've done so far (not listing all the normal stuff that goes along with a built like this):

CF Hatch
shine ridox front bumper (a HELL of alot lighter than stock)
ABS/trac is completely gone
PC680 mounted behind the rear bumper (great way to not have to use a battery box ;))
All airbags, airbag wiring
ABS TRAC ECU, Airbag ecu, fuel pump ecu, cruise control unit, antenna or antenna wiring
No wipers or wiper motor
only one front tow hook
between the porting on my head and the shimless buckets there is a little weight lost there
running black cloth NA non power front seats.
I took out the dash and removed EVERYTHING behind it, the entire hvac assembly, which only weighs 20ish pounds, but gives you a TON of room, so much rom to work with now :)
All sound deadning in the trunk and behind the dash, I haven't done the stuff on the floor yet.
I have 2 exhaust setups, one being a typical dp,mp HKS Ti. And the other which is new or this season a nice fender exit, less than 3 feet of piping directly off the turbo which is really light.
I went as far this year as cutting down brackets that I saw as excessive and cutting the bottom half of my fuel pump hanger off (up to the point where the level sensor bolts on) being that I'm using a 2345 "sumped" from the bottom of the tank.

The car does still have a radio (one without a cd drive for the minimal weight savings ;)) and 4 speakers, This will probably stay. It also has a stock flywheel in it still which is of course massive. The coming tilton will drop alot of weight. Next is all the under carpet sound deadning, the clutch and more anal stuff like cutting down brackets and saving a few ounces here and there :)

·
Administrator
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
LeeC,

Looking forward to hearing about your confirmed weight and some pictures of your Supra. Sounds like a job well done sir! :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I know this is a bump from the dead, but just wanted to let everyone know the factory rear bumper support weighs right at 15lbs. I looked all over the forums earlier today and couldn't find anyone stating a weight on it, so figured this may help someone!

·
Administrator
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
I just wanted to express my excitement that people are keeping this alive! I've turned my weight reduction ways over to the Subaru and GT-R platforms but the Supra was the first platform where I sweat these kinds of details.

Ironically, I just ordered a set of lightweight bumper beams for my 2007 STi! :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just wanted to express my excitement that people are keeping this alive! I've turned my weight reduction ways over to the Subaru and GT-R platforms but the Supra was the first platform where I sweat these kinds of details.

Ironically, I just ordered a set of lightweight bumper beams for my 2007 STi! :)
Nice! I'm building a set of beams for a NSX currently and looking to do some weight reduction to a 04 Forester xt in the near future.

·
Car guy
803 Posts
My '95 hardtop weighs in at 3300 without me in it, single turbo, 6-speed. I haven't tried to lighten it up.

·
IG UPDATES @ #BADMTHRFUKR
1,936 Posts
Thats one thing on the list when i get the car back is to see what she weighs

·
Game Over
1,209 Posts
My 93 Hardtop 6spd Supra weighs 3,227 without me in it. Half tank of fuel. Single turbo, with full interior, A/C, and PS still intact. I've been seeing people post about using the aluminum front bumper beam for the rear, and could not find any write-ups. Does anyone one know what kind of modifications for that to work, or how the rear bumper foam fit up against it afterwards?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've been meaning to check mine again. I weighted it when I bought the car at around 3,400 lbs. stock twins, targa top, 6 speed. Ultimately I would like to get it down to 3,200ish without doing anything that I can't reverse later down the road. Important to keep it fully streetable still IMO, regardless of weight saving mods.

421 - 440 of 525 Posts