Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raced my buddies VR4 last night. I have a 99' Camaro LS1 6 speed, stock except for cat back exhaust (not sure what kind) and K&N drop in filter. His VR4 a 92' with full turbo back exhaust, intake, and an electronic boost controller. It is set at 14 lbs but spikes and drops to 12psi and then 10.

We never went from a stop, but went from slow rolls...every race we were about even from the start but then I would start to very slowly pull away. If he can hold 14lbs and from a stop I know he would smoke me!
Either way it was a fun race and thought I would share. Any one have any idea why he's not able to hold boost and it's dropping? Is that common in VR4's?

Tyler

·
!black
4,625 Posts
His 9b's are frigging tiny. Seriously, they suck. As for the bleed, that is what my originals did as well, although there was a few tweaks for the gen1 cars to help them hold pressure.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
on 1st gen they have free boost mod that boost up the turbos from 9 psi to 11.5psi. (like from 94 and up). that doesn't help to hold the boost to the red line. the only way to hold boost to red line is to get bigger turbos. you have no idea how much difference it makes to get an even slightly bigger turbo than 9bs. some thing like 15gs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, they certaintly are small turbos! He is thinking the boost used to not drop that low though? His car does have 165k miles so I'm sure the turbos are getting tired. Sure is a fun car though. Traction in that car is unreal....but getting sideways is a lot of fun too!

·
Hardtopper
2,473 Posts
Nice runs; sounds about right. The stock 9b's are good for 12-13psi to redline at best. He should be able to get a solid 15psi to around 5k RPM and then it will bleed down from there.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Impressive from the VR4 even with issues... I would expect him to get you from a dig..didn't think it would be very close from a roll on though. Nice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I was actually expecting him to be slightly faster? I would imagine that car with those mods would be 375ish hp? But I do realize they are heavier and have a lot of drivetrain loss. We are also almost at 4,000 feet elevation too so he has the advantage there too.

Can't wait until I can get a 300zx tt and do some light mods and race him again!

·
Registered
303 Posts
wow nice kill on that vr4. I almost bought one 3 yrs ago, a black/black 97 with bolt-ons. But the sales manager was a dick so i ended up not buying it. nice kill either way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts