Supra Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this week a brand new B&M New Volt was delivered to my house. I just got it installed tonite and did some testing. I had installed a set of iridiums last week with the gap as they came out of the box (~.028"). My car misfired terribly with them(20psi), even with the updated dwell settings (4 ms). I adjusted the dwell settings back to the original 3ms dwell, and with the New Volt putting 18v to the coils, my car now runs cleany to 7400 rpms. I raised the boost to 24 psi and same thing. My car pulls so hard on top end now!

Of course, there is always a downside. The New Volt can be set to output either 20v or 18v. I started out with 20v and the 20A fuse in the New Volt blew as soon as I got the car into the upper rpm range. I put in another 20A fuse and reduced the output to 18v. The car ran longer but still blew the fuse. Against my better judgement, I put a 25A fuse in the New Volt, and then the 25A fuse in the LS1 harness blew. At this point I called it a night. The car runs good, I just can't stay on the throttle longer than a pull through one gear. Looks like I might need 2 seperate New Volt units (or maybe just a different unit with more capacity. Anyway, tomorrow I'll try opening up the gap and see what happens.

Any ideas on how much coil life will be shortened?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts