Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my friend are having a deate about Turbo and engines he owns a 2002 z/28 camaro and i have a 97 Supra TT he says a camaros enigne works with a turbo better than a Supras engine would work with one both of us really do not know alot about this topic so if some one couldd give us some info and tell us whos right that wuld really be helpfull.

Franky Marino
97 TT black Tan:D :cool:

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Wrong.

Camaro engines do not work better. Here is why.

Shitty factory internals
High compression

Supra engines work better. Here's why:

Great factory internals
Low compression

Anyone who argues otherwise is just blowing smoke.

That said, I've ridden in a twin turbo LS1 (built internals, stock head, mild cam, all other bolt-ons). It was fast as hell, especially on just 4psi of boost. I'd say it was about as fast as the fastest BPU 6 speed I've ridden in.

The main limiting factor in the particular car I rode in was the injectors; the guy (Cannon @ LS1.com) had stock fuel.

Planned upgrades on the TT LS1 were fuel and heads... I can only imagine the kind of power he'd be making after that. He'd probably have to get a new rear end and tires to hold the power.

Once you start building the motor and dumping TONS of money into a car, it doesn't really matter what you started with.

But the fact remains, for forced induction, the 2JZ as it comes from the factory is leaps and bounds ahead of the LS1.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think the biggest obstacle with Turbo LS1's was that at high boost they started to lift their heads. I'm not sure if anyone has made Head Gaskets to fix that yet though, I know ARE was working on it.

-Amir

·
Never fast enough
331 Posts
a camaros enigne works with a turbo better than a Supras engine would work with one
I'm confused about the question, what do you mean a Supra would work with one (turbo)? Doesn't a SupraTT already have two turbos?

What exactly do you mean by "works"? do you mean simply function? Or which would create more power with stock motors/with completly built motors?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To put a Turbo on a stock LS1 or LT1, it wont perform as well as a supra( atleast not for long) you have to lower the comprsseion and forged the internals and upgrade the fuel system. because these motors are 5.7's and supras are 3.0's these motors require less boost to make more power.. the same way you will make more hp on 15psi than a civic running on 15psi this guy http://www.teamnwfbody.org/TeamMembers/StevenBauman.html
is now boosting up to 25psi.. he cant past 10psi tho because he wont make a full pass down the track. the car fishtailes halfway down the track and when he hooks all he gets is low 11's

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
LS1 Camaros are superb automobiles...

I swear the next automobile I buy will be an LS1 Camaro. The LS1 engine is an unbelievably potent machine. I raced my brother in laws 98 Z28 three times so far and he beat me every time. I need to do some more modifications to my car. I just can't believe how fast his car is, its stock too and he only bought it for 16k. I know, maybe I could squeeze an LS1 into to the Supra!! :) I use to own a 94 Z28 and that thing hauled a*s. Then I got into an accident. R.I.P. :( I miss that car. So far I have raced five LS1 Camaros. Lost four times and I won once. I currently can't afford to mod my car. :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: LS1 Camaros are superb automobiles...

Tyrant said:
I swear the next automobile I buy will be an LS1 Camaro. The LS1 engine is an unbelievably potent machine. I raced my brother in laws 98 Z28 three times so far and he beat me every time. I need to do some more modifications to my car. I just can't believe how fast his car is, its stock too and he only bought it for 16k. I know, maybe I could squeeze an LS1 into to the Supra!! :) I use to own a 94 Z28 and that thing hauled a*s. Then I got into an accident. R.I.P. :( I miss that car. So far I have raced five LS1 Camaros. Lost four times and I won once. I currently can't afford to mod my car. :(
I'm sorry, but if your BPU Supra is getting beat by a stock LS1 you have some problems. Either your car has some serious problems or you can't drive.;) Are you sure he is stock??

-Amir

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He told me its stock and it sounds stock. I'm not a bad driver and my car doesn't have any problems. I could use a little work on my launches. You make it sound like I lost to a Honda Accord. Look at what the newer Camaros are running in the quater stock. I have only had the car for about eight months now. I have beaten my share of cars but I'm having trouble those LS1s.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Tyrant said:
He told me its stock and it sounds stock. I'm not a bad driver and my car doesn't have any problems. I could use a little work on my launches. You make it sound like I lost to a Honda Accord. Look at what the newer Camaros are running in the quater stock. I have only had the car for about eight months now. I have beaten my share of cars but I'm having trouble those LS1s.
Sorry if I came off as an ass. Thats why I put in a little smiley. My bad.

-Amir

1 - 10 of 10 Posts