Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how different the LS7 is from the LS1 in regards to external sizing? I've seen a handful of z32 LS1 swaps and im just throwing around ideas for a couple years down the road here and wondering if there would be any problems fitting a LS7 in there.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
There should be little to no difference in width wise in the 2 motors. Overall height might be a tad different due to the intake manifolds.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
Just the sump is not there anymore. But it still mounts at the same points or close to it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
you need somewhere to mount the oil tank also. Katech put a LS7 in a 00 Camaro and it fit just fine. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Isn't the ls7 a dry sump though? Meaning the oil pan is a good bit shorter?
I'm not 100% positive, but the ls7 oil pan is not as small as you would think. It's smaller than the C6 pan because of the lack of sump, but not as non-existant as some might imagine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, and I suppose for the price of a ls7, i could build a vg30dett or ls1 to be faster.....I don't know, just a thought.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It depends how radical you want to go. The LS7 intake and heads flow really really well; the stock LS7 intake flows better than a ported FAST, fyi. You would have to get some really good heads to make the LS1 a competitor, and then you would be spending quite a bit of money. Like I said, it depends on your goals. The LS7 is a lot of money upfront, but you get what you pay for. A great intake/ heads, and displacement? You're only a cam swap away from 540+. It's a hell of a deal; most people just don't need that (or a dry sump system for that matter).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd be looking to be in the range of 550-600whp on the street, regardless of what engine I'm using. My old TTZ was running at low 400 whp with a small turbo upgrade, and I'm sure I could maintain or improve that spool capability with headwork and manifolds with turbos capable of that 550-600 goal. That said, I didn't have a problem with lag at that level, very quick to build boost. So I'd probably be happy with the response regardless of what engine I chose, just a matter of if I want to get kicked in the chest or not when I go WOT. Guess I'll just have to add up all the costs for each setup and decide what kind of steps I want to do the project in in order to decide on what platform to use.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you want 550-600rwhp NA, a 346 ls1 isn't going to cut it. Texas Speed sells a really cheap forged 346 though, so if you want to spray the car or something, you could look into that. A realistic 346 probably won't break 500rwhp.

I would say a 383 would be the minimum of what you would want to use. You could also do a cheap 408, but it would be an iron block. I don't know if weight is an issue to you. Tony Mamo from AFR has a pretty well-known Z06 with a solid-roller 383 making 540/480 at the wheels.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
There are plenty of NA 346(non-forged) LS6's with over 500rwhp these days. Why not go that route?
If you want 550-600rwhp NA, a 346 ls1 isn't going to cut it. Texas Speed sells a really cheap forged 346 though, so if you want to spray the car or something, you could look into that. A realistic 346 probably won't break 500rwhp.

I would say a 383 would be the minimum of what you would want to use. You could also do a cheap 408, but it would be an iron block. I don't know if weight is an issue to you. Tony Mamo from AFR has a pretty well-known Z06 with a solid-roller 383 making 540/480 at the wheels.

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
2,778 Posts
There are plenty of NA 346(non-forged) LS6's with over 500rwhp these days. Why not go that route?
Or a 402 LS2 for half the price of a stock LS7 with much more nitrous potential.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I haven't seen any at that level. Do you have any specs? I would think you'd need a pretty radical setup to hit 500 to the wheels. There are a few Cartek C5's (among a few other cars) that have barely made over 500rwhp. It's possible, but neither cheap nor easy, and even then you'll have to consider the power band.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts