Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm know a number of you guys have had your LSD diffs burn out on you. I have seen mention of the TRD rebuild kit... but I am hoping there are alternative high performance kits available. Has anyone seen any other options out there?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks doc...

I am curious though, are you still running stock diff on your ride?

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
yessir. the diff is plenty strong. the prob is more retards that owned the car before those that cared ran the wrong oil in the diff and that ends up frying the clutch packs. rebuild it and run the correct oil and you'll be enjoying fat smokey burnouts all day long.

BTW- you should swing down some time....

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,259 Posts
Dr J any idea how mucha rebulid costs.. I wary of picking up a used LSD just to have burned out clutch packs again..
I'm using AMS oil 75w90

·
Fuzz E. Guy
853 Posts
I got a ballbark figure on rebuild parts for my LSD a while back. I think the clutch disks were $10-$12 a piece. Somehow I thought it would be about $150 total.

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,172 Posts
I just did mine over the summer. However, I didn't reset the pinion depth, I can't imagine the crush collar costing that much though. I remember all the plates/clutches ran me 167, I think theres 18 of them. Everything else was real cheap, like the little spring in the middle and the shims for backlash. I'd figure for around 200.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it possible for us to compile a list of the primary replacement components? joliroger4 do you have an invoice or anything of the parts you replaced?

Something like that could be of extreme value to those of us in need of a differential rebuild!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I was looking through the TSRM trying to determine exactly what I needed. I was having difficulty determining part numbers.

If he's got a consolidated parts invoice, thats makes it all that much easier...

PS... I am considering making a trip to Detroit sometime before the winter. I am seriously interested in taking a look at your setup. I'll shoot ya PM...

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
What is the right grease for the LSD Dr. J? I have Redline Grease left over would that do it? Thanks.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
ness- just call jeff watson @ whatever-the-heck-their-name-is-now toyo in TX....he'll hook you up.

87- you shouldn't have greases in your LSD. ;) you should have OIL. make sure it has a friction modifier....or else the clutch packs will be toasted.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
87Silver - GL-5 Hypoid Oil is specified in the TSRM

I used 75w90 sythetic valvoline with Ford Friction Modifer...work damn nice 'til I fried it.. :D

Just a coincidence I hope...

BTW... I'll dialing Jeff Watson right now....

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,259 Posts
I'll see if I can get a parts list from my TSRM... If someone gets it faster LMK please.. Since I have a guy that gets cost prices on the parts (toytoa mechanic) My brothers friend...

You wouldn't believe the mark up on some items.

Short speedo cable = 15 from him CAD 55 from dealer!

Thats just stupidness.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beautiful! :bigok:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
heh. you can't really "convert" the actual diff unit to a torsen....you have to swap the whole diff unit itself over.....kinda a pain, but depends on what you want.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts