Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...after several, several weeks - my brand spankin' new TRD LSD and 3.27 gears are in!

It all stared in Oct 03 when against my better judgement (matt, tony don't hit me...) I went to the track just to "tune" meth...I went on drag radials...HOP, HOP, HOP - boom - rear end ka-boom.

Long story, short - I got Elmhurst on the phone, Dan specifically and got a TRD LSD ordered and shiped to World-Racing (Rado's shop)...soon after that I find out I need new ring & pinion too. Back on the phone with Dan...one set of 3.27 gears please - shipped ASAP.

NOTE: Just plain crazy deals on that stuff...AND all in stock. To top it off, Dan even put up with my /ranting PM's as my project drug on! -I owe you beers man...

Coincidently, this past week - I learn that Jeff Watson is the resident guru of rear ends...TRD's and jap spec gears. Just in time for WORLD to get it wrapped up! Jeff - thanks for the help, I'll keep your number handy going forward.

I doubt Bullish reads this - but thanks to Kevin and Burt for doing some investigation work on my behalf here as well! I'm pretty sure I owe Bullish my first born for their help over the years.

Bottom line?

-Rear end done with killer parts and deals from Elmhurst. My butt dyno says the 3.27s make the car much more "snappy" - perhaps it's all in my head though.

-Jay gets lots of free dyno time from Rado for how long it took and paid *very* little in labor...thanks guys.

-Just a few more things to get done before Texas...watch out! :D

Here are a few very short vid clips...sorry for the shitty quality - I'm still learning this new D-snap...had it on the wrong setting!

A few quick rev's for the people: www.t72supra.com/Rev.ASF

HKS 4" exhaust: www.t72supra.com/HKS_Ti_Exhaust.ASF

Jay

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Glad I could help, bro.

Benny at World Racing still has to pay me for all those diff shims I sent him on the cuff. ;)

You owe me one Treasures lapdance, two Coronas, and three full-throttle passes around Houston. :D

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha..thanks guys!

Dan - He didn't send back / pay for the extra shims! Bastards, I'll phone him today! NOTE: Dan send a ton of shims to us, so we could choose what was needed - to save time - what a sweetheart! hahaha ...

Ryan - you're a funny man - I was thinking of you and the "deal" the entire ride home...car went directly into the garage!

Jay

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2slow - I think the ring/pinion ran... ~$350 or so...get ahold of Elmhurst, they usually stock them! :D

Kevin - I'll phone you this week, it's been crazy at work - I'll swing by over the weekend.

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Eh Jay!

Your car sounds amazing man. Very crisp! Can't wait to see REAL videos!! ;)

-Olivier

·
Registered
356 Posts
Philly Single-

glad you got the rear end back together and running.. your car sounds amazing!!

i'm in the same boat - my rear bit the dust last weekend, from extended exposure to hoppity-hop-hop.. :( i plan on throwing the TRD LSD in, but i'm unsure about the ring & pinion gear set (which is what i'm sure bit the dust).. i'm debating the stock 3.13's or going with the 3.27's, like yourself.. does the car feel that much snappier? do you notice much of a decrease in mph while winding out each gear?

finances are a bit low at the moment, and with the 3.27's being a bit cheaper, they sure are looking good.. haha!

any advice from ya would be much appreciated! thanks

-jim

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whoa...that entire rear has been out of my car for almost a year now! Auto now ;)

But, in the few months I did have - my butt dyno says it was quicker around town with no noticeable decrease in mph. 3.13 to 3.27 is a pretty small change and unless you're running flat out in 6th gear well....you get my point.

Without a doubt I'd say go with the 3.27's - they are cheaper and a bit more fun around town.

Jay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts