Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know for sure if the Supra comes with one stock or what? And what exactly is it's purpose, to make both wheels spin instead of just one right? Is there an upgrade that works good.
 

·
D u a l s t a r
Joined
·
534 Posts
ruup2it said:
TRD sells a Limited Slip Differential for the Supra. Costs around $800
I thought it came with a LSD, and the TRD LSD was an upgrade? Basacally if you are putting a whole lot of power down through the drivetrain, then you should get the TRD LSD. Is this correct? Or is the OE diff open type?
 

·
Old School
Joined
·
4,014 Posts
mkivcl94 said:
Anyone know for sure if the Supra comes with one stock or what? And what exactly is it's purpose, to make both wheels spin instead of just one right? Is there an upgrade that works good.
The TT models come stock with a Torsen gear-sensing LSD. Unlike thwe more conventional clutch or cone types prevalent in drag racing it uses a worm gear assembly to transmit torque from the spinning wheel to the one that isn't.

Very good for road course driving, but the TRD (clutch type LSD) is stronger and most likely superior for drag racing.
 

·
D u a l s t a r
Joined
·
534 Posts
Re: Re: LSD Limited Slip Differential for Supra

Lagtime said:


The TT models come stock with a Torsen gear-sensing LSD. Unlike thwe more conventional clutch or cone types prevalent in drag racing it uses a worm gear assembly to transmit torque from the spinning wheel to the one that isn't.

Very good for road course driving, but the TRD (clutch type LSD) is stronger and most likely superior for drag racing.
What about driving in the snow? Would the TRD diff help? It sounds like the stock LSD would be fine. Although I don't understand the differences that you are talking about. "Torsen vs cone type" is beyond my knowledge.
 

·
Old School
Joined
·
4,014 Posts
Re: Re: Re: LSD Limited Slip Differential for Supra

Mary-Kate Olsen said:


What about driving in the snow? Would the TRD diff help? It sounds like the stock LSD would be fine. Although I don't understand the differences that you are talking about. "Torsen vs cone type" is beyond my knowledge.
The difference are in the consruction, and the method each uses to distribute torque between the wheels.

As far as driving in snow is concerned neither LSD will help as much as a good AWD car/truck. And I really doubt either LSD has any advantage over the other in the snow.

Supra + Snow = Not Good
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking of getting TRD LSD, so would it be good investment?
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top