Supra Forums banner

LSD recommendation?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Mr Ree NZ 
#1 ·
I have been out of the scene for 8 years or so, and my '95 MKIV has been in storage for the last 6 years or so, but I am getting ready to bust her back out and get the beast rolling again. That said, when I put it in storage I knew I needed a LSD due to the turbo upgrade I gave it... but now the TRD LSD is out of production.

I see several alternates out there but I can't really find much in the way of info on them or which one is best for which application.

Any thoughts or threads/sites anyone can point me to?

I really appreciate the help!

#8 ·
Plenty of V160 owners here have the SuperLock including me. Look on OSGUSA site Limited Slip Differential and you'll see they show both and the descriptions are different. The 6MT p/n is TY033-HA and the AT p/n is TY031-HA.

Reactions: Mr Ree NZ
#12 ·
Would also like to know, as I believe my wife's car has the small case as well, and the open diff is one of the worst aspects of the car to me.

I have the OS Giken diff in my Mk3. That and the suspension upgrades are by far my favorite aspects of that car. Very easy to control with the throttle when you get it sideways, tracks nicely if you don't want to be sideways, and generally very agreeable. I have experienced the occasional clunk, but only on fairly tight turns when pulling away from a stop. That hasn't happened in quite some time, so perhaps it is unrelated and may not even be the diff, now that I think on it...

Only other "issue" I've had is wheel spin at 50+ mph, the car kinda... wiggles. I have a good feeling that the stock diff would do the same, but rather than wiggle, it would swing out on me. Can't confirm, as the Mk3 is the only car I've had with that sort of power to do that.

Either way, I love the diff in my car, it's great. Fantastic for autocross and doesn't have any ill behavior on the street. I have close to 10k on mine so far. Oh, and the fluid is about the same consistency as frozen molasses, so you might wanna heat it up when you're putting it in the diff...

#13 ·
Wreckless Jeff probably knows so maybe he'll confirm. But based on what I read in his first post in his diff thread JZA80 Differential Info! it seems the AT diff as shown on OSGUSA site link above is for the small diff.

#14 ·
OSG Super Lock. Nothing better IMO. I have it in two of my MKIVs and the Super Lock TCD in my IS-F.

Ken.

Reactions: Mr Ree NZ
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.