Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well to night at the track I saw a mkIII line up but when it took off it sounded different. going down the track I could tell it was no inline-6, it was a v-8. Found the guy later and asked what he had in it, he said lt1. He let me look under the hood and I took a few pics. He ran [email protected] , quick car and sounds real good. He also has the 6-speed from an f-body in it also.

I like it but its not for me, my friend that has a LT1 f-body was with me , he thought it was cool. The guy said it pisses a lot of supra guys off when they see it. Dosnt piss me off, I think its neat and different but I would take the 7m any day over that.

From a performance point, there is no reason to swap in that motor. If you just like the v-8 sound and like the power band of the NA-v8 I guess I can see that though. I ran the same time when my car was nearly stock with 7m, just exhaust, filter, boost controler so there is no performance gain. I also bet the 7m with ct26 makes more torque than that Lt1. Still cool though and there is a lot that can be done to it, just not for me.

·
Not your average auto mk3
1,046 Posts
Is he sure its not the horrendous body kit that pisses off the other supra owners?? ;) :D

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
MattOneDime said:
+1 for the custom project to the guy.. But g'damn he could have at least used an LS1!!!
After all, its still a mk3, and mk3 owners are cheap... aight peace :chicken:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I give the guy credit for doing the swap and the LT1 is an ok motor. I dont consider it an upgrade compared to a turbo 7m though. The car was originaly a turbo 7m auto. He also says that its lighter than the 7m, I dont know but I wouldnt think so. The Lt1 also has a iron block, the 6-speed might be lighter than our r154 though.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
cjpp78 said:
I give the guy credit for doing the swap and the LT1 is an ok motor. I dont consider it an upgrade compared to a turbo 7m though. The car was originaly a turbo 7m auto. He also says that its lighter than the 7m, I dont know but I wouldnt think so. The Lt1 also has a iron block, the 6-speed might be lighter than our r154 though.
Well, did you line up with him and show him whats up?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wasnt runing my car tonight, but that would have been fun. It would not be fair for him though, I would think that I would destroy his 14.1 car, I hope.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
I've said for years that the ultimate engine swap for the MK3 chassis is the new LS3 based 7.0L engines. (Like the one used in the new Z06 that's rated at 500hp+)

There is tons of room in the engine bay for superchargers and/or turbo's on this car. And since we know a nice sized FMIC fits just fine, and there are bolt in larger radiators, the larger displacment engine would be no problem at all I think.

The best setup would keep AC, PS and other nice stuff like cruise control and ABS brakes. There are tons of clutch options for the GM based engines/transmissions, and parts are quite a bit less expensive. (OK, so for me to do this right, it would take about 25,000.00 for the ultimate twin turbo 7.0L LS3 engine making a nice easy 1200rwhp and 900lbs of tourqe...)

It might run better than a 14 in the quarter mile however... :)

With the engine set back as much as possible, the handling of the car would be improved too I'd wager. (More of a front mid-engine platform when it's done, look how far back that motor sits.)

Another fun swap would be the V10 FSI engine from the new Audi S8. Very cool engine, and it has tons of potential, yet is pretty compact and light weight all things considered.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey adjuster, I feel you on most all you said. If he had opened the hood and there was a LS7- 500hp, Z06 motor under there, I would have been floored. He would have also had to run like 11s instead of that low 14 though.

A twin turbo ls1, ls2, ls6 or ls7 would be cool and very fast.

·
slowest restoration ever
626 Posts
SykoCerebral said:
i dream of a chevy v8 under my hood..:(
I respect that... But I think old domestic cars are nice looking and are a better platform for big displacement pushrod blobs. ...BTW, don't use a car like that as a daily... nothing pisses me off more than an 8mpg car with no cats that takes a little 150lb person around town every day.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
adjuster said:
I've said for years that the ultimate engine swap for the MK3 chassis is the new LS3 based 7.0L engines. (Like the one used in the new Z06 that's rated at 500hp+)

There is tons of room in the engine bay for superchargers and/or turbo's on this car. And since we know a nice sized FMIC fits just fine, and there are bolt in larger radiators, the larger displacment engine would be no problem at all I think.

The best setup would keep AC, PS and other nice stuff like cruise control and ABS brakes. There are tons of clutch options for the GM based engines/transmissions, and parts are quite a bit less expensive. (OK, so for me to do this right, it would take about 25,000.00 for the ultimate twin turbo 7.0L LS3 engine making a nice easy 1200rwhp and 900lbs of tourqe...)

It might run better than a 14 in the quarter mile however... :)

With the engine set back as much as possible, the handling of the car would be improved too I'd wager. (More of a front mid-engine platform when it's done, look how far back that motor sits.)

Another fun swap would be the V10 FSI engine from the new Audi S8. Very cool engine, and it has tons of potential, yet is pretty compact and light weight all things considered.
that would be cool, but aren't the new vette motors like $20,000 new?!?!

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
My mom has one of those in her Buick Roadmaster! :lol:

1 - 20 of 112 Posts