Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a small town with a bunch of rednecks that drive either a Camaro, Mustang, or a Civic. Every idiot has their own idea of what i should do to my car first. I own 1994 z28 6spd. I know, I know LT1= crap but i picked it up for 3500 bucks and it was well cared for. So here i am on a low budget of about 800$. I need some help.
I know for sure that I want to buy a set of headers, but i don't know what kind to go with and what i need to do to the exhaust after that. Then after I purchase the headers what about an O2 sensor will I need to replace it with a different one? After i get the headers i was planning on getting an intake. If i purchase this do i need to make any changes to the MAF ? Do I need a different one? What about chipping and gears ? I was told to go with 3.73's to keep somewhat of a decent gas mileage.
After I install these mods I was told that Dyno Tuning can be very benaficial for the LT1? is this true, would it be worth my time and $. I'm very new to all this. so i would appreciate any input and advice you may have to offer.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
Header: Hooker Long tubes, they have been out the longest and make good power throughout the rpm band. 94s only have 2 02 sensors before the cat.

Gears: get 4.10s, the difference is very small between 3.73 and 4.10s and you won't suffer that much of a drop in gas mileage cause the T56 has 2 overdrives.

Chip- dont waste your time

MAF - just descreen it, no need for a new one.

Dyno Tuning- not needed on a near stock car

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
G said:
MAF - just descreen it, no need for a new one.
don't descreen your MAF - that screen is not for trapping shit, its to straighten out the airflow before the air crosses by the wires for the MAF. The sharp bend in the intake of the Camaro will not allow the air to straighten itself out before crossing the MAF wires. I have seen a direct correlation between taking the screen out of the them and lower times because the MAF can not read the air properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MarcSMT said:
Wrong forums. However, those engines DO have potential. There are dozens of 10 second local ones around here.

I posted on other forums as well and the reason i chose these forums is because the people on suprafourms in general tend to be the most knowledgable from my experience.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
Mr. Wob said:
don't descreen your MAF - that screen is not for trapping shit, its to straighten out the airflow before the air crosses by the wires for the MAF. The sharp bend in the intake of the Camaro will not allow the air to straighten itself out before crossing the MAF wires. I have seen a direct correlation between taking the screen out of the them and lower times because the MAF can not read the air properly.
Then there are other problems with the car. I run a descreened MAF and just about everyone else I know that has a aftermarket MAF housing have no screens in them and they run fine. The MAFs on the LT1s and LS1 are big enough to where most people won't pick up any power from it. There is really no magic in it.

·
Zoom-Zoom
617 Posts
My friend is building a single turbo LT1 with a PTK Turbo kit. He'll be using a 76GTS turbo. 800rwhp on pump...

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
G said:
Then there are other problems with the car. I run a descreened MAF and just about everyone else I know that has a aftermarket MAF housing have no screens in them and they run fine. The MAFs on the LT1s and LS1 are big enough to where most people won't pick up any power from it. There is really no magic in it.

we have tested this on a 4 different Camaros/FB/TA's all realtively stock, all the same issue. The LT1 Vettes didnt respond the same, but we only tested two.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
Mr. Wob said:
we have tested this on a 4 different Camaros/FB/TA's all realtively stock, all the same issue. The LT1 Vettes didnt respond the same, but we only tested two.
Must be the gas or air up there. Back when I use to work on them all the time, I sold countless MAF ends and never had a problem with them. People would have problems with the Granatelli more so then anything else. Then you have others that have problems with their MAFs after hooking up the stupid MAF translator up to it.

·
!black
4,625 Posts

That is my old TA.

396" bottom end from MTI
LPE heads
LT4 intake manifold
LPE cams
P600B ATI procharger (one of the first!!)
Sheetmetal IC

All sorts of other shit, it's been a long time since I've even though about it :lol:

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
MadMaxx said:
That is my old TA.

396" bottom end from MTI
LPE heads
LT4 intake manifold
LPE cams
P600B ATI procharger (one of the first!!)
Sheetmetal IC

All sorts of other shit, it's been a long time since I've even though about it :lol:
So it had 2 cams and ran on a FMU WTF???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts