Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Wow. I mean it looks extremely clean and has low miles but still, wow. I'm actually really curious about the buyer and what the motivation is behind such a high purchase price.

·
Supraddict
1,156 Posts
Wow. I mean it looks extremely clean and has low miles but still, wow. I'm actually really curious about the buyer and what the motivation is behind such a high purchase price.
Answer is there in the comments:

"Thanks to all. Been following this car for years. Bought identically configured car in 1984 (with help of my dad) when I was awarded a 4 year ROTC scholarship. I thought a great deal. Awesome ride for a few years of service. Never regretted 25 years in Army but sure did selling my Supra years ago."

Nostalgia is a helluva drug...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well if the winner paid 37k, that means the second place bidder was likely at $36,900. So there is definitely demand for the car.

Reactions: jdm-rhd

·
...pop the hood!
1,075 Posts
great looking car.
nostalgia is strong with this one...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I knew prices have been increasing on these the last few years, but damn!!! Will be very interesting to see if there is any follow through with other clean MK2s.

·
Hardtop Crew
6,397 Posts
now i feel a little better about paying 18k for an 13 year old mkiv back in 2008,

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
Not just MKIIs

The rising tide of MKIV prices lifts all CLEAN Supra boats...... if you're in generations 1-4.

Ken.

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
155 Posts
Not just MKIIs

The rising tide of MKIV prices lifts all CLEAN Supra boats...... if you're in generations 1-4.

Ken.
Christ mk1s are not pretty

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Not just MKIIs

Ken.
Dang!!! What the heck is going on here (excuse my strong language......lol)!

Guess true auto enthusiasts and brand aficionados are becoming desensitized and frankly tired of the bland computer-centric, clean electric auto shifting (or no shifting) cars that are becoming our future. I'm in the same boat. Would much rather have a super clean older fun enthusiasts car instead of a high tech, electric people mover (700lb-ft of torque or not)!

Let's see if Ken is right......does anyone know of a clean MKIII commanding premium $$$ ? I think the MKIV record has already set with a 6 digit price tag recently.

·
...pop the hood!
1,075 Posts

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,390 Posts
Why not? People are sitting on tons of cash from being locked up for a year, and with our current government giving away more of it, inflation will eat up regular savings. Classic cars are solid investment. I mean, we have a fake meme dog currency worth 70b at this moment, folks are running away from $$$, I would rather bet on tangible item like a classic car vs some digital asset.

·
Old Fart Supra Lover
143 Posts
Not just MKIIs

Ken.
It came pretty close to the Mk II, and completely blew away the old sales record for Mk Is, but I have to wonder what the guy who sold the better condition one out of Washington state last December for $9k is thinking.
By the way, the factory CB was an option in place of the stereo upgrade equalizer that sat in that same cubby. Since the radio antenna for the stereo was in the windshield, so was the CB antenna and to say the least didn't work very well

Reactions: jdm-rhd

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I loved my Mk2, I don't know that I've owned a quieter car. Even the LS400 is probably louder than my old Mk2 was.

My Mk2 was also "molasses moving uphill in mid-March" slow, despite the 6M swap. Altitude did not do that car any favors. I finally decided to let it go in... 2013, I want to say, because I realized that building a Mk3 and a Mk2 just wasn't financially feasible. That Mk3 is still eating up my budget, and the Mk2, to become what I had envisioned, would have been a pretty significant investment.

Better to have loved and lost, as they say. :)

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
The look is a bit dated, especially inside. MKIII and MKIV Supras have a timeless quality.
nah, they are the products of the 80's and 90's and the interior show that. Time locked for sure, timeless. nope.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts