Votes: 36 61.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
M3 SMG Vs. MKIV TT

All street driving aspects concerned: Acceleration, looks, cornering, handling, comfort, driveability and cool factor. What would you pick as your daily driver, a mint M3 SMG or stock 6-speed Supra TT?

·
merrrrrrr
954 Posts
M3 anyday.........u shoudl of compared asupra to that coz they are in different ranges all together.....M3's should be compared to porsche,ferraris etc... supras should be compared to rx7's, skylines u know wat i mean

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
FcUk said:
M3 anyday.........u shoudl of compared asupra to that coz they are in different ranges all together.....M3's should be compared to porsche,ferraris etc... supras should be compared to rx7's, skylines u know wat i mean
No, nobody does unless you speak english.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Stock for stock, I'll take the M3 for my daily driver. But if you are ultimately looking for higher performance, give me the Supra.

. . . and an M3 is not exactly in Ferrari catagory.

BTW - my Supra is used as a high performance toy. I'm currently looking at a 2002 M3 or 540 for my daily driver.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
FcUk said:
:scratch: A M3 is inthe same class as a Ferrari? Not quite the same market there... Porsche yes, but not super exotics. The MKIV in all fairness is also in the Porsche catagory.

For a daily driver.. I think I'd take the Supra, the maintenance costs would be lower, the SMG would appeal to me, but I think i'd rather control the shifting.

·
Asian Sensation
1,209 Posts
my friend has an SMG bmw...

i must say if only supras had that padal shifter option...

soo fucking cool. Though i think you mite get bored of the horsepower of the M, but if its quality and engineering you like go for it.

friends M3 on 19' inch HRE's

·
3,148 Posts
I have both. If you leaving it stock I would go with the M3. If your going to modify it I would go with the Supra.

I would choose the 6 speed over the SMG any day and I did. If your not a very good driver, get the SMG. Otherwise choose the 6 speed. Your brain is better in all situations than the SMG.

Later, Steve

S

·
0 Posts
Steve Jarvis said:
I have both. If you leaving it stock I would go with the M3. If your going to modify it I would go with the Supra.

I would choose the 6 speed over the SMG any day and I did. If your not a very good driver, get the SMG. Otherwise choose the 6 speed. Your brain is better in all situations than the SMG.

Later, Steve
Agree except one... Not everyone’s brain works as fast as the SMG. Personally I take the 6spd. But the SMG will shift faster than any 6spd driver.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
Spanki said:
Agree except one... Not everyone’s brain works as fast as the SMG. Personally I take the 6spd. But the SMG will shift faster than any 6spd driver.
i dont really think hes talking about out-shifting (correct me if im wrong, steve) i believe hes saying the 6 speed is more about the driver in every aspect...slipping clutch, when to shift, and how hard...maybe launching...etc.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
i think hes playing around a little bit...and you have to think the average crank hp in the mkiv forum is probably about 400-450...lol everything is slow ;)

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts

·
3,148 Posts
LYTLdiablo,

Exactly.

Mapping on a G-Tech Pro showed I was off the power (positive G's when accelerating) for less than .3 seconds. The SMG is quicker, but not enough to give it a significant advantage. I can make up time on the SMG in every other area.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm surpised more of you guys aren't doing turbo Lexus coupes, it's having your cake and eating it too, luxury plus performance and daily-driveable, waste those M3's in comfort.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Anyone who thinks an M3 compares to a Ferrari is an idiot.
Anyone who thinks an M3 compares to a 911 and a Supra Turbo does not is an idiot.
Anyone who thinks a Supra Turbo doesnt' compare to an M3 is an idiot.

Supra's sold for just as much as M3s did when new, and even a decade later the M3 fails to surpass the stock Supra in any terms of performance. The Supra is LOT more reliable, has MUCH better build quality, and 100 times the potential of the E46 M3, period. The only thing the M3 has arguably more than the Supra is a sense of "class" associated with it. The M3 is a BMW, the Supra is a Toyota. That makes a difference, but if someone is going to come on here and say my car is inferior because it's a Toyota...

Don't get me wrong, the M3 by itself is a wonderful, great looking car with fantastic handling and good performance. I have many friends with them and I honestly do like the way they look - a lot. I'm just setting the record straight and stating facts.

-m (Former E46 M3 waiting list member...)

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
well on the fact that im lazy and like an auto in traffic sometimes.. M3 smg, oops i do own a supra TT but im lazy half of the time so that works out!

Brett

1 - 20 of 49 Posts