Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the last day before school starts again and I can't sleep. So I figured I'd for once somewhat attempt to document my swap to help others, keep myself on track and take advice from others when I run into snags!

I bought my 1989 7mge manual targa in 2012 when I was 18. Had it for two years before I swapped in the 7mgte. Two years later, I have a daily now, I last raced the supra at the strips during import alliance and got some juicy rod knock. Currently my mods are pretty basic, lex/550s albert ct26 and that's mostly it as far as performance other than running 12psi. So hey, what a better time to go 2jz!

My plans as far as my current information... Run on 7mgte electronics, this time get a wideband and a safc. Run the 550 and lex still. Already have a TT fuel pump. Assuming the 7mgte electrics can plug in and control the a340e on the sc I'm going to run that for now. With a shift kit maybe new clutches and a good cooler. I'd rather go built auto than r154 so I figure I'd save for now. Plan on getting mostly driftmotion stuff. Undecided on turbos, seeing about getting a hx35 or just get a ebay turbo and keep it at most 10psi until I get something. Figure hx35 would be my best route. My goal is to get this my daily driver again within a year and half when I finish college, so that I may sell my 2010 prius and go back to driving the supra full time. Currently funded by delivering pizzas. :'D

Things To Do:

2jzge Build
- Gaskets
- Arp head studs
- GTE gasket
a340e Build
Swap Running in Supra
Turbo install
DM FMIC install
IC piping?
Fuel Pump
Wideband install
SAFC install/tune
Engine Bay Clean or Paint
New wheel/tire setup
Fix PS rack leak issues
Rebuild a/c

Pics of my cars!
At Import Alliance Bowling Green, KY! on the left, that's my pal who drives a c10.
Met another guy after getting rod knock, hanging out with mk3 guys (VW ONES :D)

My lovely cars. I dont' care about prius hate it's literally the most perfect point A to B car especialyl for pizza delivery!
Another pic of the lovely garage I get to work in. Lights are tinted because the ones on my car were cracked and bent, those came off the original 7mgte donor car. :<

SC300 I picked up for 700$. 2jz runs just fine it seems, little miss on idle when warm but it didn't worry me.

Here is the most recent progress!
my friend and I are getting pretty good at this, only took us 4 hours from start to finish of pulling the motor, only bent the hell out of one PS line which I have to replace anyway with the 2jz.

Started unplugging lots of things with the sc300, next step is finishing that up and pulling it tomorrow when it's not so darn cold! :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'm not sure if the 7mgte computer can properly control a JZ A340E, but id looked into it before swapping! There's a ton of info on this forum and SM about the NA-T swap

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No one has much info about autos trans as most people get rid of them. I'll tell ya, toyota sure made getting a trans working difficult. I'll go r154 if I happen to find a great deal on one sometime. Ugh I hate trying to upload pics on an outdated site. And onedrive is going to make this as much of a pain in the ass as possible!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Just use flickr/photobucket/imageshack etc and post the IMG code into the thread.. Or just use the attach feature when you post.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Small update! Worked a little more on the sc300, it's definitely taking longer to pull th emotor than the 7m was. The body plugs are like welded in (Not really just a PIA) so I just cut them.

Also just browsing Craigs, I got this tonight!

Picked it up for 160, it's a 7 blade.

Also found another mk3 turbo manual on craigs with a BHG for 800.. Kind of want to get that steal the r154 put my w58 in it fix the gasket and sell it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Nice, what size turbo is it? You can do the dance of trying to fix a mkiii and sell them, I did it with three MKIIIs. Almost every single time I was lucky to break even(looking back I sold a hardtop shell WITH a r154 for $300). You can make a little bit of money if you have all the parts and just need labor, but with cars this old that are prone to so many serious issues you will very rarely make any money.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well would have to figure out if it is just a BHG. If that's really all it is, I can use the studs from my 7m, get a new headgasket and sell for 1500 or so. Might get my dad to buy it lol. Now I'm wishign I just bought a 2jzge motor alone for 400$ or so instead of the whole car. At most I'll just get my money back, the car is too rough to really part out much sadly. Only item that might be worth something off the car is the trans and the injen intake setup it had.

Oh and it's a HX35 off a 01 cummins.

Still need to aquire a bunch of turbo stuff from driftmotion which is easy. Finding an r154 will be a bit harder.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Well would have to figure out if it is just a BHG. If that's really all it is, I can use the studs from my 7m, get a new headgasket and sell for 1500 or so. Might get my dad to buy it lol. Now I'm wishign I just bought a 2jzge motor alone for 400$ or so instead of the whole car. At most I'll just get my money back, the car is too rough to really part out much sadly. Only item that might be worth something off the car is the trans and the injen intake setup it had.

Oh and it's a HX35 off a 01 cummins.
The issue is with a BHG coolant can get in the oil and eat the connecting rod bearings as well. Then you get into a full engine rebuild to make the car run properly and boom, you make no money.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Guess it depends. Could always start it up see if it runs at all with any knocks. I just feel bad if I bought a supra and parted another one out. I shouldn't have to kill like 3 supras to get my car going!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm trying to figure out what to do for transmission as r154s are just ridiculously expensive at the moment. Seems a basic a340e might work but I'll have to worry about it breaking, plus toyota made the electronics difficult. Lately I've been consider gm trans especially the 4l80e. With just a shiftkit I don't think I'll ever be able to break it. But I'm still figuring out costs for it, but maybe if I can get my chevy fanatic farther to get me one so he can say something Chevy is in my car. :"D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sc300 being a butt! :(

So far this one has been a bit harder to pull, driveshaft won't let go at the tail of the trains will have to pull the weird sealed cover off next time and see if we can unbolt it if it's a two piece. Althought it was very nice of toyota to put a hook on the front and rear of the motor for lifting it, makes that easy enough.

I noticed the plugs that go to the trans computer are different pinned from my mk3's harness, but maybe if the 7mgte auto harness directly plugs into the trans I can hook up the oem trans controller to it and my ecu.

·
greasemonkey
3,126 Posts
Yes the driveshaft is 2 piece. Unbolt it in the center and remove the driveshaft before pulling the engine and trans.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks we'll do that next time. I assumed they would have the same shafts but the sc300 has some plate cover over it. THe mk3 the shaft just fell right off probably due to the angle we had the motor at.

·
Registered
18 Posts
7m electronics will not run the 2j auto trans. I have this same swap in my 89 Targa. I have been held up on this wiring for months but am finally just biting the bullet and ordering a tweak harness specific to the swap.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
7m electronics will not run the 2j auto trans. I have this same swap in my 89 Targa. I have been held up on this wiring for months but am finally just biting the bullet and ordering a tweak harness specific to the swap.
Are you caught up on the transmission wiring or the engine wiring?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry I haven't updated this in awhile since it's still cold and I'm just selling things to make some money for my project. I've decided to skip the auto because all said and done will only be around 500-700 dollars off of a full r154 swap and lots more headache. Auto would have been great IF my car was auto to begin with. But I picked up a core with a supposed broken thrust washer for 700.

Lately I've taken apart the 7m, listed the head and block and headstuds and most all the parts. Plans are pretty much the same other than the transmission change. I figure I'll go GM 4l80e maybe one day once I get to the point where I NEED a twin disc clutch.

I've also considered with how much moeyn I have now I might upgrade to a 62mm hx35 with a BT Diesel exhaust housing that's 2 cm^3 smaller and gets rid of the internal wastegate setup! I'll probably go standalone someday once I sell my prius. But I think I'm going to hold onto that car until I'm done with my food delivery job and college.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you caught up on the transmission wiring or the engine wiring?
im caught up on the auto tranny wiring. ive been informed by a man who makes standalone harnesses and such that it will cost more to fix it than buy a new tweaked harness

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I figured out what to do for an auto in a manual car but I'm going with the manual anyways.

You can use SupraStick. It only works with throttle controlled line pressure though. So if you want the TT auto (Which is much much stronger) you have to swap in the valve body from an sc300 or na supra auto. Or if you want the electric line pressure go with PCS standalone. But that thing is like 900$ with the harness. :( TBH if you're spending that much mine as well go save and get a GM auto at that point.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New Tires ♥

Well just making slow progress. The engine is about torn apart, continued selling stuff. Might take the head off today.

Got new tires wheels and springs in the other day.

Front: 17x9 SC Style Replicas +20mm (Kind of wish I just got polished ones now, the polish looks good with a fatter tire than black with skinny tire.)
255/40/17 DWS06
Rear: 15x8 Nitro Wheels (Weld prostar knockoffs) also +25mm.
275/50/15 555r

Might plastidip both wheels black, or maybe white cause my car is a white package supra. :'D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts