Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just trying to figure out if i can use GA70H Body parts on a MA70. being that I have never seen a GA70H model or a GA70(I know the difference of this model) for that matter. But i have a brother in Japan that could get me parts but I want to make sure what he is getting me will match up.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Our cars are widebody, so if you get GA70 widebody parts, they will fit the North American MK3.

Just cause I feel like it, I'm gonna throw out the engines that came in the GA70:

1G-E (SOHC, 12 valve, pre-89)
1G-FE (DOHC, 24 valve - economy head, 89+)
1G-GE (DOHC, 24 valve - performance head)
1G-GTE (DOHC, 24 valve, twin-turbocharged)

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
Jeff Lange said:
Our cars are widebody, so if you get GA70 widebody parts, they will fit the North American MK3.

Just cause I feel like it, I'm gonna throw out the engines that came in the GA70:

1G-E (SOHC, 12 valve, pre-89)
1G-FE (DOHC, 24 valve - economy head, 89+)
1G-GE (DOHC, 24 valve - performance head)
1G-GTE (DOHC, 24 valve, twin-turbocharged)

Wow never knew that. I thought the 1g-ge and 1g-gte were the only other too. Great info Jeff. So does that mean that there were a total of 7 different engine "packages" that were used in the mk3 supra worldwide?
Damn thats alot.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Yup, but I dont think the 1G-E or the 1G-FE were ever sold outside of Japan.

Here's another interesting point: the MA70 never came with the 7M-GE in Japan. They had no N/A love ;).

(They preferred the 1G-GTE because it had the same power but with a much lower displacement = less money in Japan. :))

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
In case anyone wants to see what the difference is:

Narrowbody GA70:

Notice the rounded/flat fender

Widebody A70:

Notice the slight bulge/crease in the front fender

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
2damaxsupra said:
i heard there are almost no difference in weight between widebody and narrow body.
I wouldn't think there would be, maybe at most 15-20lbs.

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
Jeff Lange said:
Yup, but I dont think the 1G-E or the 1G-FE were ever sold outside of Japan.

Here's another interesting point: the MA70 never came with the 7M-GE in Japan. They had no N/A love ;).

(They preferred the 1G-GTE because it had the same power but with a much lower displacement = less money in Japan. :))

Wow, makes sense Jeff, good stuff ;)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Is there any chance that the Turbo A was narrow body? I remember seeing pistures of the Turbo A car that was set up for racing w/ turns, and for some reason I am thinking it looked narrow.

would it be wrong if I thought I liked the narrow body?

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
i would say the 88 ones were narrowbody... here all a70's cept the 87 ma70 were narrowbody from 86-88

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
suprra_girl said:
i would say the 88 ones were narrowbody... here all a70's cept the 87 ma70 were narrowbody from 86-88
They only made the Turbo A for 1 month, and it was an 89 model, and it was not narrow body ever.

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
so what's the rally supra that was made in 87 and 88?

i know one of em came 3rd in an african rally against the audi 200 quattro which took 1st & 2nd

1 - 20 of 26 Posts