Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 7mgte motor disassembled to my machine shop. Brought them the Block, crank, head, cams, valves and oilpump to check over all the clearances for oil passages and prep for a MLS head gasket.
Screenshot_20200725-000652.png

The quote came to 1500$ cad.
What kinda has me iffy is it seems they missed a lot. I'll have to ask them myself Monday but Theres no mention of any work to the head and even though I mentioned I wanted to keep it "stock" for now but will be building up the internals, forged rods and 20thou oversized pistons. There was no mention of any torque plate...maybe I didn't communicate well enough what i want. Any other opinions would be appreciated. First time at a machine shop so I take part of the blame suppose.
Located in Vancouver BC.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
870 Posts
there is head work on that list

labor to check valve guides, clean valves .........155
labor to clean and polish cam mains...........165

nothing about cutting valves / seats / new guide installation etc. just light head work

are you at a shop that specializes in imports or has ever rebuilt a toyota 7m engine ? odds are they don't have a torque plate. if you are just going to hone and these new forged pistons are in clearance spec with just that....you could get away with no plate. others may have a different opinion on that (I hand honed my cylinders but used new oem pistons)

·
Registered
870 Posts
a good test for this machine show would be to talk specifically about the head. do they understand what shim under bucket is (do they work with anything like that). as about the time involved to grind valves / assemble to check required shim / sourcing shims/ reassembly with correct shims is way more than a few hours. if they are lost in this conversation I prob wouldn't let them rebuild it....

·
Super Moderator
10,472 Posts
Member Captain may have a 7M-GTE torque plate you can rent. He also sells them, but I don't know if he has any in stock.

Ken.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts