Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: Took some real pictures of the damage, check them out here: http://kahmeal.com/poopra/blockdamage/

Basically the piece is about .5" tall (from top of block) and about .5" deep. It broke off at about halfway into the hole that is outlined... He claims this is simply an oil relief return and does not see any kind of pressure etc. He also says it is not a structural part of the block and shouldn't cause any kind of problem with sealing on the headgasket etc, but I want some second opinions... What can be done here? He doesn't want to weld it, proposed using some kind of pins and epoxy since the area will only see relief oil? I just want to know if it really isn't serious like he says :dunno:

·
I Didn't Do It!
1,030 Posts
I bet its a little more serious then hes letting on. But I've no idea on the seriousness of your problem. Goodluck.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hold this guy in pretty high regard so I doubt he's lying... I'm just looking for second opinions and possibly similar experiences? What's done is done, I now need to find the best solution.

·
JZA70 or go home!!
2,495 Posts
tell him to replace your block

Reactions: Travisimo

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
JDM KING said:
tell him to replace your block
Ding.

That is bullshit that he would do that and try to make you still use it. I sure hope he at least ended up doing the work for free.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I would if this was something that made the block useless, but I highly doubt its that serious. Please be constructive in your comments, telling me to have him replace the block is not the type of answer that will help me.

Edit: To clarify a bit, he was adament that they didn't know when the crack happened. The block was fine after boring, line honing etc and they only noticed the piece missing after the 2nd wash. He went back to the line honing machine where he had it set up to put the main caps on and check everything one more time and the piece was laying at the bottom of the machine. It could very well have already been fractured. Would I be right in asking him to replace the whole block because of this? It just doesn't seem rational, but heck maybe im just a softie?

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
IMO, someone dropped your block. Epoxy is not going to work on an engine block that is going to be exposed to thermal expansion. I would ask for a replacement block. I saw one in the for sale section for $50. Naturally, he'd have to re-do all of the machine work.

·
DO WORK!!
2,275 Posts
I donated a block to a freind (NA_MKIII) Mabey i could convince him to donate it to you.... I just talked to him and he said no problem.....

I am not sure of the shape its in but it came out of my 89 turbo. if anything it might have some rust on it.

If you are interested all I would ask is that you coveer shipping and I will get it out to you ASAP.

Let me know,

·
Registered
348 Posts
A good welder should be able to fix it, he probably doesn't want to do it because he will have to do some of the machine work over (decking the block for sure).
If it was fractured he should have found it when magnifluxing the block--he did magniflux before doing any machine work right?
So the crack happened while it was in his possesion, he owes you a new block or at least a severe dicount on all work and extended warranty on this block should you deside to keep it--SOFTY!
Have him find you a new/used block and redo the machine work at his expense--be up front and fair (you don't piss off the waiter and then wonder why your food tastes funny).
Matt

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gilsdorf said:
A good welder should be able to fix it, he probably doesn't want to do it because he will have to do some of the machine work over (decking the block for sure).
If it was fractured he should have found it when magnifluxing the block--he did magniflux before doing any machine work right?
So the crack happened while it was in his possesion, he owes you a new block or at least a severe dicount on all work and extended warranty on this block should you deside to keep it--SOFTY!
Have him find you a new/used block and redo the machine work at his expense--be up front and fair (you don't piss off the waiter and then wonder why your food tastes funny).
Matt
Thank you, this is the type of response I was looking for. Now, does anyone know what the purpose of this particular passage/area of the block serves? Is it actually an oil relief drain like he says or what?

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Dood thats bad......

Holy cow, i would have a ........cow

If he is not willing to compensate, threaten to take him to small claims court....friend just had to do the SAME THING becuase a machinest gave my buddy the wrong parts and wouldnt give him back his $500 bucks.....

-Jonathan

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
lagged said:
have him replace the block!
:stickpoke Or fix your constant oil leak for free for the life of the car :ugh2:

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,736 Posts
The proper response has been given a number of times. He broke it, he should replace it with good block. Why does that appear to be a solution you don't want to hear.

Is there more to this than you're not letting on?

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
I am guessing the hammer in the picture has some symbolic presence in this situation? ( X files crap)......looking for hints or clues LOL.... :wtflol:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I don't want to hear it because I don't want to complicate this thus far long process of getting my block machined and back in my hands so I can get started on putting it back together! Hehe... The hammer is not symbolic of anything, its just a picture I found on my hard drive that contained the area I needed to highlight. I'll take a good picture of it tomorrow when I swing by the machine shop again. Ugh, and everything was going so well :(

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
90Legend said:
Is there more to this than you're not letting on?
Not at all, the block was whole when I gave it to him and now has a cracked off piece where I showed you. It happened in his possession and thats it, theres nothing else to say really.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
cre3d said:
Not at all, the block was whole when I gave it to him and now has a cracked off piece where I showed you. It happened in his possession and thats it, theres nothing else to say really.

so are you getting it fixed or replaced?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats pretty much the purpose behind this thread -- I need to decide wether its practical to have it fixed or does a new block need to be sourced. This is also why I want to know what that particular passage is for, if its something that isn't going to see any kind of pressure or severe stress, it may be fixable. If its a pretty important area of the block then perhaps I need to convince my machinist a new block is needed. This block has already been bored, decked, line honed. Journals have all been machined, crank is perfectly matched, clevite bearings are in etc etc. Really the only thing now holding me back from putting my motor together is this problem and the fact that ARP is backordered for the next 2 weeks on main stud nuts. I have about $2500 in machine work & parts at this guys shop and pissing him off wouldn't be too bright right now I think :\

1 - 20 of 84 Posts