Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is thier any reason why we can't use a maf off another car as long as it works on the same voltage scale?(0-5volts i believe) like a ls1 maf meter, i personnally know of quite a few ls1 cars making upwards of 700-800 hp at the wheels through after market maf meters... so my question is, is there any reason why we can't adapt them to be used on a supra?
i would like logical answers, with explainations... anyone with useful info, feel free to speak on this subject..:)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm not really sure but I'll take a stab at it. I'd assume that if a stock MAF capable of 500rwhp was at 100% then the ECU would get that 100% signal (whatever voltage it is) and run the injectors accordingly. I would then assume that a larger MAF capable of 1000rwhp would then show only 50% at the same flow and send that signal to the ECU causing the car to inject less fuel and run lean. This is just a guess so I could be wrong...

Would one of those MAF translators work to make a larger MAF work? Are any of the MAF translators programmable or do they come preprogrammed for specific cars?

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think they are programable.. but if i used a ls1 maf meter i would think the translator for a ls1 might still work.. i don't know, we'll see if any supra guru's will chime in.. jay

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
But if the translators were programmable I'm sure a simple table could be setup to calculate airflow from the given voltage and translate it to the proper ECU voltage.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
MK3's upgrade by using a 25% larger MAF sensor, we compensate for this by moving from 440's to 550 injectors....

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ckanderson said:
MK3's upgrade by using a 25% larger MAF sensor, we compensate for this by moving from 440's to 550 injectors....
this is why i wanted to know why no one does it on the mkiv... i thought the problem on our cars was the maf sensor can't flow enough air.. thats why some guys use 2 of them... i would think you could just use a larger maf sensor off another car and upgrade the injetors like the mk3 guys do.. jay

·
Registered
544 Posts
www.splitsec.com has maf translators. i would assume you could get pretty close to what you wanted. what the ecu might find out and how confused it might get, who knows

i don't know how much mafs that flow that well cost, but there might be a substantial power gain from getting rid of even a high flow one. if it is costly and the car will run well on speed density, why bother

G

·
0 Posts
I believe someone has already identified a compatable larger maf. I think most people that would have used it simply went with the AEM.

I also think what the other guy said was true. No linear output. So someone needs to know which one will match with our cars. I would be reluctant to use a translator, if it was too slow then it would give some weird drivability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts