Supra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys, here is a writeup for the MaftPro install w/speed density. instalation is easy and very similar to an safc install.

What you need:

1.MAFT Pro base unit

2.AIT sensor

3.Map Sensor

4.Speed Density Harness

Install instructions:

Unplug the Ecu connectors, and use the diagram below to guide you with the wiring. Both 89+ and pre 89 diagrams are pictured below.

89+ diagram:

Pre 89 diagram:

The install kit includes wire taps. Use these to tap the maftpro wires into the engine wiring harness. You must CUT the KS wire on the engine wiring harness, and the connect the GREEN wire from the Maftpro to the ECU SIDE of the wire. You can leave the other side of the KS wire unattached or you can connect it to the YELLOW wire on the maftpro harness(not pictured). This procedure for the KS wire is the same on a safc install. You will also notice that the speed density harness( #2 in my diagram) has its own loose purple wire. tap that into VF on the ecu pinout.

In addition the the wiring diagrms I made above here are additional instructions provided by full throttle tech. Also included below are all the settings you must adjust on the unit before using:

Once you have the maftpro wired up, its time to intall the AIT sensor and MAP sensor. The AIT sensor has 3/8 npt threads.

WHere you put the map sensor is up to you. I have mine on the driver side fender, pictured below, and run vacuum to it.

PIC of Map Sensor Location:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/heedah007/S3500166.jpg

**Edit: I have been informed that the map sensor should be mounted with the vacuum nipple facing downward in order to prevent moisture from building up inside over time. This will extend the life of the MAP sensor...

You will also need to mount the AIT sensor. You can tap the 3000 pipe and screw it in there like Milke Malloy did:

Pic of Mikes AIT sensor location:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/heedah007/Pdr_0299.jpg

I chose to install mine on the upper I/C next to the snorkel hole. I had to purchase a 3/8 npt female weld bung in order to do this.

Pic of MY AIT sensor location:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/heedah007/steveait.jpg

Once youve completed these steps, go ahead and program the Maftpro based on the instructions listed above, and your ready to Boost. Enjoy!

If I have made any errors, or if you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know. I know the wiring diagram is a little messy but hopefully it will help, thanks

- Steve

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
AFR TRACKING:

Here are the compatible wideband units currently being supported(PM me if more have been added):

-innovate LC-1
-innovate LM-1
-AEM
-tech edge
-zietronix ZT2
-dynojet WB commander
- PLX

I personally use a PLX M-300 and it works great with the maftpro.

Also here are some quotes from Dr. Jones that might help answer some of the questions regarding the AFR tracking:

DrJonez said:
AFR tracking allows you to specifiy a TPS and/or MAP value above which it starts working. you simply input desired AFR value and the MAFT pro makes whatever corrections necessary to achieve the desired AFR. parameters:

Min TPS - TPS above which the AFR tracking is enabled
Min RPM - RPM above which the AFR tracking is enabled
Min MAP - Manifold pressure above which AFR tracking is enabled
Lean Lim% - The maximum % that the system will lean out to maintain the desired A/F
Rich Lim% - The maximum % that the system will richen up to maintain the desired A/F
Gain - The speed that the system will try to maintain the desired A/F ratio
AFR 2000R ... AFR 8000R Desired A/F Ratio at each RPM from 2000 RPM to 8000

just a clairification- AFR tracking is not an autotune feature. AFR tracking merely corrects realtime, it DOES NOT apply anything that it does to any long standing tables, etc. you could easily datalog some runs when using AFR tracking and then apply the corrections it was making to the MAFT pro's settings. i hope that makes sense

AFR tracking is meant for open loop function only, not to fight the ECU closed loop.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey NJ, who supplies the maftpro? I have been looking through the local tuner shops to see if they supply them but they said that they don't. Is there anyone here on the net that sells them? let me know. I want to get it so once I get my next mk3, that will be the first thing I will install.

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drjonez said:
i am a MAFT pro distributor....
Yes you are! Btw Adam please feel free to post updates or info on this page. It would be much appreciated.

I bought my maftpro setup from Adam (Dr.Jonez). Fast shippiing and good service. I would definately reccommend buying through him.

- Steve

·
Registered
95 Posts
NJsupraA70 said:
AFR TRACKING:

Here are the compatible wideband units currently being supported(PM me if more have been added):

-innovate LC-1
-innovate LM-1
-AEM
-tech edge
-zietronix ZT2
-dynojet WB commander
- PLX
Is there a reason the FJO doesn't work? Im just confused on how you can use an AEM but not a FJO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, I want more info on how to reach the good DrJonez for a possible maftpro sale and info.
I looked on your website and couldnt find a number.
I have a 88 sp61gt tt haha.
How do I reach you?

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zdatsupra said:
Ok, I want more info on how to reach the good DrJonez for a possible maftpro sale and info.
How do I reach you?

Send Him a PM.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
zdatsupra said:
How do I reach you?
email

AIM

PM

·
Registered
95 Posts
drjonez said:
scaling factors not in the software.

check and see if the FJO's factors are similar to any of those listed....

The first gen FJO probly wont work since it uses a non-linear curve "Legacy FJO"(.81-3.10v)

The second gen(which I have) should work though because from what I found out is that I can use the "Legacy FJO" curve or change it to a 0-5v,5-0v, 4.5-0.5v ect... and if for some reason the Maftpro loads down the signal the second gen also allows you to add a correction factor. I'm sure I can get it to work :rockon:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Newb question....why does the MAP sensor not need to be installed inside the pipes? And does this mean you can rmove the AFM and run some fatass hardpipes to the intake manifold?

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
sweetlikechutny said:
Newb question....why does the MAP sensor not need to be installed inside the pipes? And does this mean you can rmove the AFM and run some fatass hardpipes to the intake manifold?
in essenece, the MAP sensor IS installed in one of the pipes- the line that connects to the MAP sensor comes from the intake manifold, allowing the sensor to measure what the intake manifold is seeing.

you want to make sure the MAP sensor is connected post-TB- you want to measure vac as well as boost.

yes, you can remove the AFM and run a large turbo inlet pipe.

·
Registered
222 Posts
hello supranuts! i too was wondering where to get a maft pro system, even though i just spent 300.00 on a mine,'s ecu. i am eventually going to go to a t-60 set up when my bottom end is finished. what is the price on the system and how to contact you???? thanxxxx.

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Bert can you please delete the other writeup thread thats in FAQ, there is no info in it. thanks

·
FMOS Racing
152 Posts
Hey there guys;
I was looking at the pictures of the install, and they look great. I had a question regarding the IAT sensor. It looks like the one pictured was mounted in the pressure pipe out of the turbo. Now, with this system that may be what is recommended, but on my Grand National, the IAT is mounted on the intake side of the turbo between the MAF and the turbo. Since it looks like this company has made a bunch of stuff for the GNs, I was wondering if that sensor should maybe be on the intake side instead of the pressure side. Dr. Jonez, any thoughts?

·
FMOS Racing
152 Posts
ok, understood. Most things that GM came up with were retarded, but I figured that it warranted a question.
Thanks

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
eh, most stock cars have the IAT pre-turbo....which is fine if things stay that way. but once you start messing with things you really need to watch the temp of the incoming air (turbo/IC efficiency)....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.