Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to beat a dead horse as of late (Exhaust Questions) but I am looking for some help on the Magnaflow exhaust. I am having a 3" cat back made, and im going to be putting on the magnaflow muffler. After cruising the Magnaflow website for a bit, I had some questions.

Question: I'm trying to make the exhaust look as stock as possible. What tips should I get to keep this look, also what size muffler? Also, since I will be having a 3" cat-back I need the muffler to have a 3" inlet, right? Also (heh) will the outlet size have a big difference?

Thanks in advance guys, hopefully someone that has done this setup will add some insight!

3,796 Posts
I have the 3" in 2 x 2.5" out with some no-name tips from farm and fleet. I do not know the exact dimensions of the muffler. Measure how much space you have and order one that fits.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
general rule of thumb on the muffler -- bigger is better?

Also, do you have the street or race series?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I've got the 3" in, 3" out version. Works pretty good so far, it's been on there almost two years. DamnifIknow whether it's a street or race series - whatever is cheaper, I expect.

For your reference, measurements for dual outlets are:
2 x 2.1 inches out = 3 inch inlet
2 x 2.5 inches out = 3.5 inch inlet
2 x 2.8 inches out = 4 inch inlet

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm going with the magnaflow because its not real loud. I know there is a difference between the race and street series so it would be real good to know!

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
The bigger the size of the muffler canister the quieter it will be. Magnaflow mufflers are very good quality for a good price. Yes definaltly get one with the 3" inlet. The sinlge 3" inlet with the dual outlets will be your best bet.

The race series has a different inside core design, the street series is a quieter and maybe a slightly less flowing muffler, but nothing to worry about. A single magna flow on a custom exhaust will be quite loud, without a resonator it will drone a bit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I do put a resonator on there (Yeah, i trying to keep it kinda quiet) is the flow im losing to it going to be significant?

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
If it is a straight through resonator you wont lose any flow. Vibrant performance makes some nice low profile straight through SS resonators.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I'm doing a 3" cat-back with a Magnaflow Muffler and a resonator... thanks for the help guys I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have the larger 3" in to dual 3" out, it's a very large muffler. I don't like all those fancy tips, I prefer a plain pipe look so I just polished the tips on the muffler itself and I love it, due to the heat of the exhaust the tips have aquired a bit of a bronze look... gives it some character...

Hope this attachment works, seems like every file I upload is to big.

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
Ganistari said:
Well I'm going with the magnaflow because its not real loud. I know there is a difference between the race and street series so it would be real good to know!
I had the same question. I wanted to get a "street" version assuming it would be a little quieter. Turns out the 3" inlet is only available in "race". Whatever.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
nur spec is probibly one of the loudest catback systems out there b.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just using the blitz as a reference point. Yeah I def. want it quieter than that.

What about without the resonator? Still quieter than the Blitz?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ganistari said:
Does yours have a resonator?
No resonator, just a high flow cat, I was tempted to buy a race bullet and run it after the cat but I grew accustomed to the sound... sounds pretty outrageous on full boost

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I'm the same type of setup, high flow cat, no resonator, just the muffler. It's about half the noise level of the Blitz. Very tolerable, IMO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts