Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering buying a Supra NA.
One in new condition with bout 80k miles on it.
one that has been very well maintained also for those 80k miles.
I am wondering what type of upkeep I woul dhave to do to a car with this type of high mileage.
I have always been taught that cars start going bad at bout 100k miles, then I turn around and see these supra stories on how they are such amaizingly dependable cars. I love supras.
I basically dont know much bout cars and how to fix them and so on by myself. I am basically wanting to know what type of things I should expect to break and to constantly upkeep on a supra with 80k miles.

Also, looking for some comparisons on say a supra witn 80k miles and a American truck with only 25k, and what the upkeep difference will be down the line.
THANKS

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Should prob have the timing belt changed if it hasn't already been. Otherwise, unless the car has been beaten mercilessly, you will jast have normal maintenance items like brakes, filters, ect. I doub't anything serious will break in a long time.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I just need to know, cause me and my dad kinda going in together on it, I pay him back and so on and trade in my truck.
But he thinks that supra wont last as long as my "new" truck.
from his experience as a mechanic and service station owner he is always seeing cars with 100k miles getting EXPENSIVE repairs done.
Correct me if I am wrong a supra is a different kind of car, people with supras usually preserve them better than the average day high mileage car right?
so if thats the case..then supra would last just as long as new car, if its been taken care of and so on...
RIGHT?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have a 94 na with 100K on it. I bought it with 50K. It has been one of the most reliable and dependable cars I have owned. ( I've owned probably 15 other cars). At 80K, I had the timing belt and drive belt replaced, new plugs and some filters. The only thing you have to replace more than some other cars are the rear tires. BUT having a MKIV Supra is 100 times better than having a newer, less milage truck. Just go and drive a Supra and you will see.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
basically, other than GAS.
how much possibly am I looking at per month to upkeep a supra with 80k miles on it.
Same amount as my truck? which has had no problems.
Or more than my truck...

THANKS

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought My Supra at 82K and I am now at 102K, and havent had any probs what so ever, I just Got the Timing belt changed at 101K,yea I know a bit late but the belt was still in good shape. The car still runs and feels as thought it were brand new, It does'nt show any age or wear at all mechanically. Other thant the Timing Belt and the synthetic oil every 2.5k there has been no problems what so ever or evidence of problems developing. The AC still blows cold, the Heat blows hot, the cruise works and every button on the dash is working. Most of those things were not working on my truck about 80K. I talked to the Mechanic that did my Timing belt change, he's worked at toyota for 10yrs and he says this is the first time he has ever had to work on a MKIV supra, they've sold several of them at the dealership but none of them ever came back for warrenty work.
I myself have owned a chevy s-10 before this, and believe me driving the supra and the truck are worlds apart. I really dont believe I can ever go back now. As for upkeep per month = nothing but gas. I got 23 MPG out of my last tank and average about 21-22 mpg. The oil is just as often as the truck except I opt to use full synthetic in the supra, and as for the dependibility of the engine and drive train, as long as you dont go mod crazy and keep the oil changed it should last another easy 100k at the least.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL thats what I own now is a 2000 Chevy S10 xtreme.
I can get bout 16.5k for it. So you think its worth gettng a NA supra for 16.5k with 80kmiles on it?!?!?
over my truck which has 25k??
HEHE if yes
Then I am getting supra.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just do it GenTarkin. Mine is now 15 years old, and until about 170K, there were no major problems. Obvious things such a brake pads and plugs need attendance. Keep up with the maintenance schedule and you'll be good to go for another 80K. Do change the timing belt if it has not been done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts