Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any potential damage that can result from huge backfires? I was just playing around with my AEM... Normally I have it set so when I hold down the horn (I have 3-way switch to turn the actual horn off) the 2-step comes on, but instead, I set it to retard the timing 30 degrees. So if I rev up to 4000 rpm and press the horn it'll shoot out fireworks and sound like a driveby hehe. Is that a bad idea? I just wanted to check before I have too much fun with this. Didn't want to blow my turbo to bits or anything. How many degrees should I retard max?

-Paul

PS - Retarding the timing 20-25 degrees with the 2-step on did make an extra 1-3 psi, depending on the rpm.

·
Supraholic/Boostaholic
1,513 Posts
Thats a really cool idea you have about setting the 2 step. However, I don't know whether it can be bad or not. My guess is that if it sounds bad .....it mostly is. :)

Chris

·
Registered
523 Posts
It is very hard on the turbo, if you have a single it's more accepted, but if you have stock twins I wouldn't reccommend it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. That's what I figured. I don't really see how the turbine wheel could get damaged but I figured it might be hard on the bearings.

·
Registered
171 Posts
r u at 0 deg or after tdc with yr spark?

my understanding is that the combustion will continue after the exhaust valve has opened, so obviously yr egts go up, so thats a little harder on the turbo and exhaust valves (but no big deal). the banging and popping is the remaining unburnt fuel in the exhaust being ignited by the hot exhaust and flames exiting the manifold. i thought the bangs all happen after the turbo?

now true antilag is a different story where the exhaust gas temps r kept very very high, alot higher than u would see using ignition retard in this way

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, I wasn't really paying attention what the final timing degrees were... but I think they must be around 0 or a bit more, since my timing in that range is set to 25-32 degrees. Would it be bad to go < 0 degrees?

·
Registered
171 Posts
The Forbidden Supra said:
Would it be bad to go < 0 degrees?
i dont know, my ecu ignition time wont go past tdc [shrug] i reckon it would run really shit and probably stall much past tdc, the flames would b awesome tho :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, after a certain point the motor was trying to die all of a sudden, which makes sense. The flames were killer though, like nothing you've ever seen. It looked like the 4th of july grand finale. There was so much black smoke I couldn't even see out the rear view. God I'm such a ricer hehehe..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.