Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just installed head gasket (FelPro stocker) torqued to 60ft-lbs, anyway its using water and heating up, if it sits and idles its fine but when you take off the temp gauge starts heading up then falls back down it is using about 1 cup of water per 100 miles. What could be wrong with this thing? Also the turbo cuts off at 9psi, is that normal? This car is bone stock with a boost controller, turbo timer and aftermarket blowoff valve.

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
I believe the recommended torque is at least 72 ft/lbs minimum for the head gasket. More for cometic or other metal types. You may be losing water through it.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Check all of your coolant lines and be sure they aren't leaking. Especially those coming off of the heater core on the firewall. It's easy to bend the ports out of shape so that they don't seal correctly when the hoses are put back on. Other than that... it doesn't really make any sense that you'd be overheating when you're driving and not when at idle because at idle it's retaining the most heat and there is no cool outside air blowing on the radiator. Once all the leaks (if any) are found be sure to burp the system so there aren't any air pockets.

And now i'm out of ideas and out of brainergy... night night

·
Registered
520 Posts
burp the system and see what happens and 60 ft/lbs is pretty low for the head bolt torque should be about 72 for the stock gasket. is the boost controller set to 9psi? that is higher than the stock boost (~6-7 psi). so i would say that is normal. does it stay around 9psi all way to redline?

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
91supraT said:
burp the system and see what happens and 60 ft/lbs is pretty low for the head bolt torque should be about 72 for the stock gasket. is the boost controller set to 9psi? that is higher than the stock boost (~6-7 psi). so i would say that is normal. does it stay around 9psi all way to redline?
1st. Properly torque the head gasket down to 72lb ft.

2nd. Take the boost controller off.

3rd. Burp the system properly

Once you do this you should be running much better assuming the head gasket was done properly. Once you have things running right, then put the boost controller back on. Never do any mods before the car is running how it should. I'd return it as close to stock as possible and get the problems worked out before trying to modify further.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so the torque for a stock head gasket is 72ft lbs? wow I thought it was 58.(online tsrm anywhere on a 89turbo?) Will do it first the boost controller has been disabled as of 1hr ago when I busted one of the vacumn lines.

·
Registered
454 Posts
vbpowerhost said:
Ok so the torque for a stock head gasket is 72ft lbs? wow I thought it was 58.(online tsrm anywhere on a 89turbo?) Will do it first the boost controller has been disabled as of 1hr ago when I busted one of the vacumn lines.
It was 58ft/lbs from the factory and the predominant reason that headgaskets go out on these vehicles. Like everyone said, retorque and check for leaks. Did you clean up the head/deck surface really well before the headgasket install?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
everything cleaned real good and head and block both decked.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just took off a felpro, they suck. I had it on for 12000 miles. The first torque was 65 and the second was 72. When I took it off, it was leaking between 5 and 6 and between 3 and 4. It did not blow all of the way, but I wasn't taking any chance. I put a cometic back in, everything seems fine, so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts