Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE ON PAGE 7

Hey yall, im making a custom intake for my NA-T car. Im purposely making a "budget" intake, seeing as how the lex has been sucking up most of my cash in other areas. I cant stand the stock intake anymore, and honestly, even if the car lost power id still be happy(and would just trun up the boost to compensate). The plenum material is roughly 5in in diameter, and was cut on an angle to clear the brake booster. This will be a true bolt up affair, similar to the greddy intake for the gte. The stock gaskets will be retained and so far, I think its gonna work out really well.

Lol, this intake is so inexpensive, the throttle body will cost more than the unit itself! I had my buddy hit it on the bridgeport to make some clean cuts, and as of right now we are thinking studs and nylocks to fasten it. If this works out well, this will be a good option for budget na-t guys. I will be more than likely making a "nicer" one at some point, but this should do just fine for now. Im no master fabricator, but have thought this out well, so any comments/criticism are quite welcome....

Josh
Ill keep this updated, and should hopefully have her done quite soon.

Ps: This is a premade "D" shaped tube, which isnt really pricey at all, and polishes up well.

·
TT This
917 Posts
I tried a similar setup almost exactly like yours. If you plan on just bolting that to the lower runners be sure to use a large enough TB to allow your arm to reach all the way back to the last bolt. Don't ask how I know that :sadance: Where did you score that "D" pipe? Looks good so far!

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hehe, im gonna bolt it all up before we weld on the tbody flage, although I can probably still squeek in there with it on. How did yours work out, if you dont mind me asking?

The plenum is from a local place that makes DIY intake parts, and is pretty reasonable(55$ per foot).

·
TT This
917 Posts
Mines in the garbage :( I finally just bought Dave H's. Good luck to you though.
I remember having to cut that angle in the back there too, to clear the brake booster. Definitey keep us posted. ANy more info on the "local place" do they have a website? I was looking for some when I started my project.

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
<mr. burns voice> excellent smithers, excelllleeennntt. :naughty:

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
looks good, its an interesting project

·
NA-T member
455 Posts
Are you going to put velocity stacks inside the D tubing? Bolting or welding to the lower intake runners?

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
what kind of throttlebody are you using, and how will you extend the cable? most importantly though, how will the new TPS sensor work with the stock ecu?

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
supraswap said:
wont it run into the power steering pump?
Just the resovoir(whixh can easily be relocated), or so I hope!

Dj_Diablo said:
what kind of throttlebody are you using, and how will you extend the cable? most importantly though, how will the new TPS sensor work with the stock ecu?
Im leaning towards the wilson 90mm right now. I will be using the 86-93 mustang tps and gm IAC. My car has always used the AEM EMS, and it can easily recognize both of those sensors. Ive heard rumors the landcruiser cable works quite nicely, so i may order one and try it out.

NCSUpra said:
Are you going to put velocity stacks inside the D tubing? Bolting or welding to the lower intake runners?
Perhaps in the future, but for now im keeping it strictly budget(Velocity Stacks cost around 30-40 each!). bolting to the lowers is my plan, but if need be, Ill weld it. Bolting it sounds alluring, using the sotck gasket, easy install, etc....

Couple pics of the car:

·
TT This
917 Posts
The Quickness said:
Ive heard rumors the landcruiser cable works quite nicely, so i may order one and try it out.
The land cruiser cable is like 2 feet to long, I do not recommend that at all. If you want to go that route I have a brand new one I'll sell cheap. I moved to a Lokar universal cable because you can trim it shorter to custom fit any application very easily. Plus they have a stainless braided covering so they look good.

$.02

Here you go, found it. I posted a few pics of how looooonnnnggg the land cruiser's is and the trimmed Lokar.

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367145&highlight=throttle+cable

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The Quickness said:
Hey yall, im making a custom intake for my NA-T car. Im purposely making a "budget" intake, seeing as how the lex has been sucking up most of my cash in other areas. I cant stand the stock intake anymore, and honestly, even if the car lost power id still be happy(and would just trun up the boost to compensate). The plenum material is roughly 5in in diameter, and was cut on an angle to clear the brake booster. This will be a true bolt up affair, similar to the greddy intake for the gte. The stock gaskets will be retained and so far, I think its gonna work out really well.

Lol, this intake is so inexpensive, the throttle body will cost more than the unit itself! I had my buddy hit it on the bridgeport to make some clean cuts, and as of right now we are thinking studs and nylocks to fasten it. If this works out well, this will be a good option for budget na-t guys. I will be more than likely making a "nicer" one at some point, but this should do just fine for now. Im no master fabricator, but have thought this out well, so any comments/criticism are quite welcome....

Josh
Ill keep this updated, and should hopefully have her done quite soon.

Ps: This is a premade "D" shaped tube, which isnt really pricey at all, and polishes up well.
Are you planning to cut the intake in a half and work the joint between runners?
Looking good!
JPI

·
turbo lexus pile
488 Posts
looks identical to the intake mani im making! i even have the same "D" pipe, and its going into my recetnyl NA-T'd SC 300. ill get some pics of mine up sometime.

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
NinetyFiveNA said:
The land cruiser cable is like 2 feet to long, I do not recommend that at all. If you want to go that route I have a brand new one I'll sell cheap. I moved to a Lokar universal cable because you can trim it shorter to custom fit any application very easily. Plus they have a stainless braided covering so they look good.

$.02

Here you go, found it. I posted a few pics of how looooonnnnggg the land cruiser's is and the trimmed Lokar.

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367145&highlight=throttle+cable
I have the land cruiser cable (came with my manifold) and what I did was buy a throttle cable from Auto Zone which came with strainless braided line and used that + its fittings on the 4 runner cable after I cut down the cable to the size that I needed. I only did it because the 4 runner cable bolted up like stock on the pedal side.

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kdirty- Looking nice! Shame the IAC is so bulky on there.

JP- Im just keeping it ultra simple, and pretty much just welding on the endcap and tbody flange at this point. I am however, going to radius the edges on the inside if the plenum.

ninetyfiveNA-Good info on the throttle cable. May I ask, what made you give up on your intake?

Has anyone used the GM IAC, and if so, how does it act with the AEM?

·
Banned
224 Posts
dude thats sweet as hell how much in all did it cost you? like making the plemium. and will u consider making another one to sell to me?

1 - 20 of 224 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.