Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i dunno if this can be done or not, but my buddy has cross drilled rotors on his car that are the same size as stock, i was wondering if i took his cross drilled brake and placed it over my stock one. could i just drill the same size holes and use the cross drilled brake as a guide?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
not so much balancing as much as HEAT TREATING (by heat treating i mean stress releif)! If you drilled the rotors by yourself, i can pretty much gaurantee you they will warp beyond the point of usefulness the first time you use them.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
the ONLY reason to cross drill your rotors.. for weight savings at the expense of the MUCH needed mass to absorb the heat and release it back.!!! It is a give and take balance along with everything else.

And who exactly uses crossdrilled rotors?. Hmm race cars as they chuck those after EVERY SINGLE RACE. For street. Absolutley pointless.

·
*I see you*
668 Posts
figgie said:
the ONLY reason to cross drill your rotors.. for weight savings at the expense of the MUCH needed mass to absorb the heat and release it back.!!!
I thought cross-drilled rotors had more bite than plain and suppodsedly cool faster than slotted, and slotted are to help expel hot gasses and keep the face of the rotor clean?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
slotted rotors are the ones that eat your pads, drilled just cool better.

As far as drilling them yourself you can do it, but they are likely to crack soon after.

FYI what do you think half of the "drilled brembos" on ebay are? Ive seen it first hand when i went to pick some up, the guy just sits there with a drill press and drills them, i opted for the full face ones needless to say.

Ang

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Slotted rotors do "wipe" the pad clean of debris every time, and they can help to vent any gas build up at the pad/rotor suface.

Even drilled and slotted rotors will fade from pad de-gassing however. (That is why you should bed in your pads, and use the right compound for the type of driving your doing.)

Either mod reduces the overall swept area, and the mass of the rotor. (Mass is important as your rotors are heat sinks, and swept area is important too. You have to clamp the pad to the rotor to stop the car, and if your clamping the pad to air, it's doing NOTHING to slow down the car at that moment.)

All your brakes do is convert kinetic energy into heat that is then dissapated into the surrounding environment. (Pads, rotors and even your wheels can radiate the heat into the air flowing over and around them.)

Larger brakes increase both the swept area, and mass that can absorb and radiate heat. (More fins, more heat radiated. The cross drilled rotors also add more radiation surface area, but the loss of swept area on a stock sized rotor is not worth it IMHO. If you went to larger rotors, possibly it might be worth the trade off. I went with slotted rotors to help minimize pad gas fade. But with 14x1.38" front, and 14x1.25" rear rotors, the mass and swept area increase could have allowed me to go cross drilled with no issues of lost swept area. (It's the cracking due to thermal fatigue I wanted to avoid.) Unless your rotors are cast to be drilled out, your going to have cracked rotors with hard use.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
67672924 said:
ok i dunno if this can be done or not, but my buddy has cross drilled rotors on his car that are the same size as stock, i was wondering if i took his cross drilled brake and placed it over my stock one. could i just drill the same size holes and use the cross drilled brake as a guide?
You so funny.
:hahano:

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
67672924 said:

^ Thanks for the good laugh!
~ mike

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
67672924 said:
Its sad what this community has turned into..:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts