Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys new to this fourm but not new to supras, right now i own a 91 jza70. just after i completed my 1j swap into my 90 this super clean rolling jz chassy came up for sale.so for 900$ i couldnt pass it up. anyway ive put my motor in and it now finished. im getting it ready for an upcoming drift even in my area. i have megan coils, some advan wheels good rubber. i no a downfall with drifting these cars is there lack of steering angle. i want HUGE steering angle ive found spacers but i want to know what other people have used and what they would recomened.

thanks, eric

·
Registered
434 Posts
there was a thread about a year ago on this , although it would probably be hard as hell to find. someone modified there steering.

·
Super Moderator
10,898 Posts
Don't take a super clean JZA70 chassis to get beaten around at drift events. If you want to drift a MK3, get a beater old MK3 and do the following:

Weld the Diff
Cut/drill/reweld the steering knuckles - if you want fat angle, that's how it's done.
Gut the whole thing, cage it, fixed bucket seat, dished steering wheel, etc.

Basic maintenance at the same time. A grippy clutch is a good idea in general and especially for clutch-kick initiations.
Don't initiate with an Ebrake on the MK3 - the Ebrake pads are expensive and a PITA to fix since they are drums that are inside the rear disc. If you have trouble initiating with a clutch kick or just raw power/angle, bump the pressure up in your rear tires or go to a smaller/narrower rear tire.

Buy a bunch of spare sawblades, etc as drift spares. Get *good* tires for your front wheels - Advan Neovas, Dunlop Star Specs, etc. Rears you can run whatever.

Then put whatever engine you want or have in it, and just focus on cooling and reliability mods. The most important thing is to keep it running well at events so you can get better at driving.

But seriously. If it's a clean JZA70, keep it clean. There's plenty of shitty beat up MK3's to turn into drift cars - cause there's no such thing as a drift car that never hits a wall.

Look up posts by tErbo b00st if you'd like to see a nicely done A70 drift car.

Jeff

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know ive drifted mk3's before , and have hundreds of hours of work into them. ive done bolth 1j and 2j swaps. i know i hear the same thing from my father everyday about sliding a nice car, but now that im back in college and not working full time i dont have the funds for a nice clean dd and a track missle, i plan on sliding it for 6 months then im going to get an s13 to slide and then keep my jz for a nice car.still slide once an awhile. thanks for your input tho ill look into the steering knuckles

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol do you daily drive on a welded diff
?

·
Super Moderator
10,898 Posts
Drifting a nice JZA70 for 6 months then getting a 240 as a drift toy?

Why not just leave the JZA70 nice, keep it nice, don't fuck it up with drift oriented mods, and get some S13 as a track toy when you've got the money for it?

Seems retarded as hell to chop up and beat up a clean JZA70 for a 6 month drift career.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chop and beat?? hmmm thats not the plan. some more steering angle on any mk3 would be nice, plus the coarse i drift at there are know walls, 1js are quite bulletproof,i dont mind replace a few things hear and there from drifting

·
Registered
894 Posts
make sure you have oil squirters.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya oil is normaly a good thing lol , and wats someones opinion on daily driving on a welded diff. Rain ect.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You can drive with a welded diff if you don't mind your rear wheels hopping while going around corners.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
i know ive drifted mk3's before , and have hundreds of hours of work into them. ive done bolth 1j and 2j swaps. i know i hear the same thing from my father everyday about sliding a nice car, but now that im back in college and not working full time i dont have the funds for a nice clean dd and a track missle, i plan on sliding it for 6 months then im going to get an s13 to slide and then keep my jz for a nice car.still slide once an awhile. thanks for your input tho ill look into the steering knuckles
Let me summarize what you've told us so far:

You've worked on Mk3's extensively and have experience drifting.

You plan on building an S13 drift car in 6 months.

You're tight on money.

You want to know how to further modify the car that you want to keep "nice" in order to drift it, since you're low on funds.

Why the hell do you want to mess with it? Just wait 6 months and have a purpose-built drift car. I swear Canadians give Canadians a bad name most of the time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no what i have told you is i have worked extensivly on swaps. ive messed with drifting them before not alot. i was asking for some advice on steering angle to see what ppl have done. then the welded diff topic came up, i havent drivin on one before so im asking ppls advice from what they have experianced. yes im in school i dont have a shit load of money because of that. enough to finish off the last few events. i dont understand why your such an asshole does everyone on this forum just pick apart threads so they can have more posts or something or do you just have the need to make yourself feel better. like if you have a valid opinion state it if not stop bashing you ignorant fuck. thanks to everyone that isnt an asshole tho.

·
Memento Mori
647 Posts
well my experience with a welded diff isnt that bad
yea its annoying when your turning your wheels hopp and you might go thew tires quicker
as long as you have thread on your tires and you drive like a regular person the rain shouldnt be a problem
it not as bad as people say it is but if you want to drift it is worth it makes a huge difference
takes some time to get use to thou
i got mine welded for free so ii cant complain, better than paying 1grand for a 2way
your stock lsd is good to drift also but eventually it will open up and wont lock with your trying to drift which almost ran me into a lake one time hahah

·
Registered
585 Posts
well my experience with a welded diff isnt that bad
yea its annoying when your turning your wheels hopp and you might go thew tires quicker
as long as you have thread on your tires and you drive like a regular person the rain shouldnt be a problem
it not as bad as people say it is but if you want to drift it is worth it makes a huge difference
takes some time to get use to thou
i got mine welded for free so ii cant complain, better than paying 1grand for a 2way
your stock lsd is good to drift also but eventually it will open up and wont lock with your trying to drift which almost ran me into a lake one time hahah
tell em DK:idhitit:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol droping the fast and the furious quotes now hah.thanks man i think i might try it out.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
no what i have told you is i have worked extensivly on swaps. ive messed with drifting them before not alot. i was asking for some advice on steering angle to see what ppl have done. then the welded diff topic came up, i havent drivin on one before so im asking ppls advice from what they have experianced. yes im in school i dont have a shit load of money because of that. enough to finish off the last few events. i dont understand why your such an asshole does everyone on this forum just pick apart threads so they can have more posts or something or do you just have the need to make yourself feel better. like if you have a valid opinion state it if not stop bashing you ignorant fuck. thanks to everyone that isnt an asshole tho.
I just can't understand the following:

1. Building a nice car, just to tear it up at a drift event.

2. Why you'd continue to do drift events instead of saving that money for your S13 build.

3. Why you wouldn't google steering angle and welded diff and get your own answers.

If you want spoon feeding, you're not going to like what's on the menu. The drifting section may have been a better place to start.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts