Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the brake type that we have it'll screech sometimes cuase they are disc brake systems, but man it is getting annoying and loud!!! Anyone got a good brand that has good stopping power and yet will be silent. Drives me up the wall getting stuck in traffic and creeping every 5ft and screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech... well you guys get the point. Lmk ok!

Rob~

PS- Also if it could be something else please lmk of any other things that could be fixed to help stop this problem. Thanks!

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mine uses anti-squeal shims that are about $15 for a set from Toyota. If you leave them off (they rust out and you really can't reuse them) the brakes squeal like a banshee. Did you, or someone else, replace the pads recently? Lots of shops simply don't know about the shims, or leave them off.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm i dont think they do know about that. Im goin in today to NTB and getting the pads put on my back tires *had them put on the front earlier*. Im hoping it'll stop the screeching. Whats the part # for the shims? Thanks man

Rob~

·
MKIV TT Sell-OUT
176 Posts
i had that problem myself also. i had 80% of my brake pads left and i swapped them out because they were bothering me... just tell them to resurface the rotors, and get original toyota parts. i even made them show me the parts b4 putting it in so i can make sure that they were from toyota. thats wat did it for me. now the only sound i hear coming from my car is the exhaust note :D

·
stop pulling me over pigs
1,259 Posts
guys my mk3 does the same thing with aftermarket bendix carbon metallic pads....mad annoying. Once the rotors heat up they're pretty quiet, but still when you slow down reallly slow coming to a stop its just embarassing, makes your nice car sound like junk ya know>?

there also is this silicone stuff you put on teh back of the pads, so they dont vibrate and squeal - only thing is you have to let the silicone dry very well before putting them on, other wise you slide the calipers over them and the "brake quiet" stuff just rubs right off, then in another 2 months you're back taking your wheels off again....I'd really like to find a god set of those shims, I looked at the parts stores, and I couldnt find them anywhere

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stang2supra said:
i had that problem myself also. i had 80% of my brake pads left and i swapped them out because they were bothering me... just tell them to resurface the rotors, and get original toyota parts. i even made them show me the parts b4 putting it in so i can make sure that they were from toyota. thats wat did it for me. now the only sound i hear coming from my car is the exhaust note :D
So just get basic brake pads from toyota and resurface the rotors and that fixed it for u? Man I want to get this problem fixed SOON... the sound is driving me crazy!

Rob~

·
MKIV TT Sell-OUT
176 Posts
yup, thats it. nothing else i did, except replace the fluid but that shouldnt have much to do with it. the sound was driving me INSANE also. i loved driving it everywhere except parking lots when its full of people, haha. i bet you guys know exactly wat im talking about.

·
Registered
296 Posts
oem brake pad

oem brake pad should work best, don't ask why? Don't know. They must have something special in their pad or something. I have tried aftermarket pad before and had to change back to oem because of the squeeking brake noise.

·
MKIV TT Sell-OUT
176 Posts
its because of the type of metallic compound used in the aftermarket brake pads. rotors=metal, pads=metal, metal to metal=squeak. another thing, the cheaper the pads, the greater the squeak.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm using Beck-Arnley pads and good quality OEM rotors (not toyota) the part number begins with UBR... I've also got the silicon goo on the pads. No squeaks at all.

Also, make sure the slide pins are well lubed with caliper grease (its super high temp stuff) and make sure nothing else is binding, that should take care of any squeaks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the help... after it "snows" tomorrow I hope to take it in to NTB and get the rear control arm problem and this brake pad problem all fixed. Well im out

Rob~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts