Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man it sucks having an NA Supra in V8 country **AKA Alabama**. Like everyone and their brother down here have either a v8 200+ hp truck or a v8 mustang. Would a turbo kit actually help me out much or am i just screwed since its a v6? I found a turbo kit that says it will add around 100+ more hp at 15 psi. Would that give me more of an advantage or is it a waste? lmk thanks

Rob~

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
V-8 mustang...you should be able to handle GT's at least, I can, but as for the turbo kit it really depends on how you drive do you race every hillbilly with flowmasters, or do you only kick it when you see a mullet....well in alabama that IS every hillbilly with flowmasters....jk;) but seriously...for heavy use or heavy power in the future, and as for "screwed since its a V6, you are seriously mistaken its an inline 6 and can produce far more horsepower than most people can imagine for a lot less cash than almost anything out there, I would go for a turbo kit...if you just kick it occasionally a nitrous kit can deliver comporable power and it should only run you about half the price...this is the very delima I am deliberating on at the present. Keep in mind that the 2JZ is one of the stoutest most bulletproof platforms ever designed.

P.S. I feel your pain. I live 5 minutes from Alabama.

·
Senior
1,475 Posts
You got your intake/ exhaust on? This may be good against 95 unmodded "Stangs". Watch out for the 32 valve ones though. A turbo would put you in the majors but the tranny might not hold up to 5-600 hp. So far nobody has a all motor one so far.:wtf:Maybe the turbo just makes so much horsepower so easily.

·
Boosted NA
246 Posts
u have a V6 supra???

thats awesome what year did they make that??? haha
But yeah u can take some of them stangs if u are a good driver man.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vreaux728645 said:
You got your intake/ exhaust on? This may be good against 95 unmodded "Stangs". Watch out for the 32 valve ones though. A turbo would put you in the majors but the tranny might not hold up to 5-600 hp. So far nobody has a all motor one so far.:wtf:Maybe the turbo just makes so much horsepower so easily.
Well for one, I have never even heard of a turbo kit for an NA Supra that will give u 500-600 hp... I've even seen one guy with a suped up NA and it was only 450hp ALL RACE so I doubt I'd get it up that far, but...

Soupskees said:
thats awesome what year did they make that??? haha
But yeah u can take some of them stangs if u are a good driver man.
O come on, you know what I meant... I kept saying V8 all the time so I messed up and said v6 instead of 6 cylinder or inline 6... my bad my bad... also if anyone knows where I can find a turbo kit for cheap Please lmk. *NA Automatic MKIV 93 Supra* thanks.

RoB~

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
S_Flex said:
V-8 mustang...you should be able to handle GT's at least, I can, but as for the turbo kit it really depends on how you drive do you race every hillbilly with flowmasters, or do you only kick it when you see a mullet....well in alabama that IS every hillbilly with flowmasters....jk;) but seriously...for heavy use or heavy power in the future, and as for "screwed since its a V6, you are seriously mistaken its an inline 6 and can produce far more horsepower than most people can imagine for a lot less cash than almost anything out there, I would go for a turbo kit...if you just kick it occasionally a nitrous kit can deliver comporable power and it should only run you about half the price...this is the very delima I am deliberating on at the present. Keep in mind that the 2JZ is one of the stoutest most bulletproof platforms ever designed.

P.S. I feel your pain. I live 5 minutes from Alabama.
Also... produce far more horsepower??? Obviously you havent read some of the threads... NA Supras range around 170-190 hp after drivetrain loss and such... there was also a thread about how the new Toyota Avalons and such were keeping up with Supras... so I thought mustangs would be outta the question...
RoB~

Edited : Also I have like searched these threads forever and everywhere i look its always the same... "I couldnt find anything to give my supra enough horsepower... so I ended up having to get a turbo. So if this engine is soo great where are the parts to make it gooo? Everythings like 600$ for 5more rwhp *exhaust* and 300$+ for intake system 5more rwhp... a 1000$ for 10 more hp is a lotta cash so wherever these parts are that can make these cars go plz lmk.,.."

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
The way i see it all that money your sumping into the intake and exhaust and all that 4-5 RWHP stuff your going to have to get and some point or another anyway. So i put as many NA bolt ons as i can until its time for turbo. There is no miracle part for our NAs that will give us great horses unless you pack some NO2 or grab some forced induction. Its not like many cars can get that much horsepower difference with bolt on mods alone on an NA. I mean the FAST NAs are bored stroked, new heads, stuff like that that has had all sorts of research and development put into it. On the 2JZ-GE engine all the Research and Development has gone into turbos so thats what you gotta do. Our engines can hold extreme amounts of boost reliably and thats why.
Later

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
hey about the avalons keeping up....people underestimate that car. sure it cant turn for beans...but afterall its a toyota engine and they make em good. im sure its not as fast but i have an auto supra and its not much of a difference under 60...i dont speed often and dont take my cars up high where it would really show the power difference. keep in mind also...mustangs changed 3 years ago((maybe 4 now)) to 260HP and 2XX tq. before that the mustang GT had some rediculously low amount of power..like 225 hp and 250 tq...the torque is the only difference between you and the mustangs(except the newest)
short story: a 93 at the newest mustange wanted to race me the other day, and i was intimidated. i didnt race him
((DUE LARGELY TO THE FACT HE WAS IN A LEFT TURN LANE AND I WAS IN A RIGHT TURN ONLY LANE....)) but i went home and looked at his stats. in stock form...the Mustang COBRA had 225 hp and 260 tq or something. the next level down had like 205 hp and 235 tq. point being...unless its a brand new mustang....go open up some whoop @$$.
Bob
PS. ur wrong about those" 5 hp" i measure everything in BHP...b/c thats what factory stats are. with a good quality intake.((apexi or K&N in that order are my choices)) you should gain just under 10 BHP...on a MKIII turbo the apexi gave 14. so with less pressure cuz lack of turbo on MKIV na the hp is slightly less. so u figure 8-10 bhp there. a good exhaust..the MX(na specific) or superdrager(sounds kool) u should gain 10bhp easily. take a peek under your car at the stock exhaust system...yea...see all those bends in the pipe and extra pounds in material..? so it will evendtually add up. so your looking at your car now with an ESTIMATED 235-240 BHP against a ((new mustang of 260 BHP)) or a 3 yr- older mustang and you have right in it. ANOTHER THING....did you know z28 camaro's only have 270 BHP...COME GUYS LETS HOOK UP SOME NOS AND HAVE FUN!:cool:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone seen the issue of Turbo, i think it was 2 months ago, it had the Lexus IS300 on the cover, I think it had two IS300's with turbos the one was a just a basic bolt on kit with no engine fortification and It was throwing down around 450 HP to the rear wheels and the other was a fortified engine that was laying down a reliable 650 RWHP. Thats the kind of shit I am talking about, you want power it can be done.

p.s. in case your wondering, why is this dumbass babbling about a lexus, its because they have the exact same engine as us. 2jz-ge

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BlackSupra93 said:

PS. ur wrong about those" 5 hp" i measure everything in BHP...b/c thats what factory stats are. with a good quality intake.((apexi or K&N in that order are my choices)) you should gain just under 10 BHP...on a MKIII turbo the apexi gave 14. so with less pressure cuz lack of turbo on MKIV na the hp is slightly less. so u figure 8-10 bhp there. a good exhaust..the MX(na specific) or superdrager(sounds kool) u should gain 10bhp easily. take a peek under your car at the stock exhaust system...yea...see all those bends in the pipe and extra pounds in material..? so it will evendtually add up. so your looking at your car now with an ESTIMATED 235-240 BHP against a ((new mustang of 260 BHP)) or a 3 yr- older mustang and you have right in it. ANOTHER THING....did you know z28 camaro's only have 270 BHP...COME GUYS LETS HOOK UP SOME NOS AND HAVE FUN!:cool:
Ya exactly... 8-10 bhp but when u throw in Automatic and drive train loss the actual gain is only like 5 RWHP... so either way its not much. But still... 235-240 BHP against a new mustang of 260 BHP!!! Dude I'd get owned... their acceleration is wayyyyyy faster man. I was practically getting driven around by one today. We were turning on to get in I-565 , before i even get off the line hes about 2 cars ahead of me. I slam of the pedal and catch up going about 90 past him and then he just hits it and flys by , doubt it if he was even trying... o well...

Rob~

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
S_Flex said:
Has anyone seen the issue of Turbo, i think it was 2 months ago, it had the Lexus IS300 on the cover, I think it had two IS300's with turbos the one was a just a basic bolt on kit with no engine fortification and It was throwing down around 450 HP to the rear wheels and the other was a fortified engine that was laying down a reliable 650 RWHP. Thats the kind of shit I am talking about, you want power it can be done.

p.s. in case your wondering, why is this dumbass babbling about a lexus, its because they have the exact same engine as us. 2jz-ge
So you've done an NA Supra // Lexus engine swap? I've seen articles about it being done... but didnt think anyone would do it. cool if u got pics of it post em up here or if im wrong lmk

Rob~

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
just a quesiton...

i was just wondering...not trying to be rude.
but why does everyone dwell on how many RWHP you end up with. all stock specs are given in BHP((arent they??)) and unless the transmission is a really sh*tty one the general drivetrain loss remains at or around 15%. so why go thru all the trouble to convert it to rwhp and compare...when in most cases 240BHP is really close to 240 BHP on another car. am i right or overlooking something really obvious>?
Bob
PS. is your auto tranny really unwilling to downshift to 1st after youve been moving? in my avalon is i get down to like 25-30 mph it'll still shift into 1st to get going. my supra tends to stay in 2nd unless i practically pound on the pedal>?.
if your not willing to bolt on...either go turbo, or sell the car and buy TT...otherwise you probly wont be happy. but in the end....your still driving a better car overall.
LOOK AT IT THIS WAY: you'll be driving yourS slower to 200,000 miles and they'll be going a tiny bit faster to about 115,000.
:D look at the one guy that posts alot ((billy i htink...cant remember his post name. 190,000 on orig. engine and tranny. sounds good to me...

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
another thought...

what year was the mustang>? try and avoid the latest years...put on a few bolt ons and try some 70-97 stangs. just avoid cobras.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mustang GT vs NA Supra

I doubt very much if the NA (even with intake and exhaust) can take on the new Stang GT.

Has anyone encounter one?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
StaticX313 said:

So you've done an NA Supra // Lexus engine swap? I've seen articles about it being done... but didnt think anyone would do it. cool if u got pics of it post em up here or if im wrong lmk

Rob~
um...no...why would anyone swap one engine for another if they are the exact same engine? 2jz-ge.

and as for why people dwell on RWHP. its because thats how it comes out on dyno sheets and is an exact measurement, unlike trying to figure crank HP which is not measured on dyno sheets and can only be guestimated at.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I live in KY and I think that I have it as bad as you guys in Alabama. Everyone with their trucks. I am trying to start a import club. So far we have a 3kgt, 2 240sx, crx, 3 civics, and an a eclipse. Thats it in the whole county.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
S_Flex said:

um...no...why would anyone swap one engine for another if they are the exact same engine? 2jz-ge.

and as for why people dwell on RWHP. its because thats how it comes out on dyno sheets and is an exact measurement, unlike trying to figure crank HP which is not measured on dyno sheets and can only be guestimated at.
I know... I was just wondering... http://www.supraforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17315 ppl there were talking about how they were switching the engine of the 2jz-ge with the sc300... I thought u were talking about the same thing... sorry...

Rob~

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
supra4life said:
Just my opinion !

But it would be fun to sup up your car to take on those V8. If you have the money that is !!!
ya thats exactly what i'd like to do =), but my parents are never goin to let me get a turbo kit... so I dont know... might have to wait til im like 21 to save up for a TT or if my car has enough miles on it i might put a turbo on it then... but who knows

Rob~

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Hey guys
First off DAMN STRAIGHT on that Turbo magaizine a couple months back its sittin next to me like i could pass that issue up. Turbo Magaizine LIVES for the 2JZ-GE/2JZGTE model engines considering it is one of the better engines out there to run high boost on reliably. Anyway the guy with the 650 HP IS300 yeah thats nice but so was his other "toys".
Second i raced a newer Mustang GT a while back not knowing how fast he was this was with only my clutch and i did ok but he was in fact faster he was slowly pulling away from me bit by bit. I think i could take one with a few more bolt ons though. I now have the ingition and the intake. Im supposed to race my friend sometime in a 97 GT ill let you guys know how that race goes.
RWHP is the "true" horsepower put to the ground not a stock figure and thats why its used. Drivetrain loss in different makes and models can make a world of difference.
Finally Static all of the Toyota/Lexus line INLINE 6 cylinder engines are the 2JZ-GE so like the Lexus IS300, SC300, ES300 (i think thats it) and our Supras all have the model engine known as 2JZ-GE while the twin turbo model of our engines is the 2JG-GTE.
Later

1 - 20 of 40 Posts