Supra Forums banner

Mannually shifting auto

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  jimmyrose 
#1 ·
Just curious,

My sup is an auto and was wondering if shifting it manually will damage the tranny. I know you are only supposed to do it in specific situations but if I decided to shift it manually all the time will it kill it.....

#2 · (Edited)
I don't have any hard facts, but I've been doing it for over 2 years with no problems.

And I don't want to hear from other people on how pointless or gay it is. Sometimes, I want to stay in first or second longer with low throttle %, using just the torque of the engine without having to worry about the trans putting me into the next gear. Also, if I want to downshift, not playing guessing games about which gear I'll land in, etc. etc.

#3 ·
over on SM theres a guy who sells paddle style shifters...heres his site
http://www.latentsolutions.com/

i have a buddy in NH who has it for his 1j and loves it

#8 ·
well this is the classic debate of whats better, yes the r154 is a excellent tranny, but its not like the a340 is a grain truck/garbage hauler transmission that shifts so badly and loudly it jerks you back into your seat and drowns out your exhaust and subwoofers. the only fault the a340 has is its incapable of holding RHWP higher the 350 HP. but can the oem clutch on a r154 handle higher then that? i highly doubt for very long.
manuals are fun yes, very fun, but in terms of straight up drags? its proven a turbo auto mk3 versus a manual turbo mk3, if both are in good shape, the auto will win the drag, why? no boostloss during shifts, very simple.
a turbo auto supra is an amazing highway cruiser. plus a a340 shifts softly under low throttle and hard during WOT runs, it doesnt hesitate in to gear like many autos in many cars have done over the years. of course a stock tranny cant handle high numbers of HP well, a stock clutch cant, a stock auto cant, its simple basic science. i dont know why this is such a hard concept for so many people i have talked to. long story short this boils down to how you want to drive, what you want to drive and how much money you have and again its a turbo supra, WHO FUCKING CARES IF ITS AUTO OR NOT?!!?! you still pwn just as much rice as usual.

#9 ·
and you cant really damage the auto if you CORRECTLY manually shift it, letting it hang in a low gear when your revs are high is bad and vice versa. oh and my auto turbo mk3 vs manual turbo mk3 was a stock number comparison, sorry for any confusion

#12 ·
i dont think there is anything wrong with manually shifting in a auto, if it wasnt good, then i doubt they would let you manually go into 1 and 2,

#14 ·
Sorry - I haven't been over here in a while. The V4 is coming along great - it was installed in my lightning this weekend. I drove the world's first paddle shifted ford truck to work this morning... If you aren't familiar the Suprastick V4 gives you full "tiptronic" style sequential shifting, and also gives you complete control of the automatic shifting of the car. Every shift point - a 120 point table is user-adjustable. The unit is also capable of automapping to make install a snap and the car drivable like stock in just a few hours start to finish. There are 2 tables provided so you can designate 1 for race, and 1 for street - what toyota was trying to do with the ECT button. This new version is programmable on the fly by your own laptop, and displays Gear, mode, lockup, speed, rpm, and throttle information when you are not in the programming mode.

#15 ·
Here's some info on manual shifting no one brought up.
1. In manual Low, the low & Reverse clutch applies which takes some load off of the forward clutch.
2. In manual second, the Intermediate band is applied, which assists the Intermediate clutch.
conclusion, the trans has more holding capacity taking off in manual low than it does in the drive position.
On another note, the reaction time needed to shift manually is greater, (trans has to shift hydraulically as well as electrically) so you need to move the shift lever way before you reach redline. while your bouncing off the revlimiter and manually shift it can roll the sprag over :( more so in high horsepower applications.
I built my trans with raybestos clutches and a homemade shift kit, been holding up for two years with 500 RWHP

#16 ·
Anyone taken a car with a tranny like this to an auto-x event? If so how much better was it then the stock set-up?

#18 ·
garrettrowe said:
Sorry - I haven't been over here in a while. The V4 is coming along great - it was installed in my lightning this weekend. I drove the world's first paddle shifted ford truck to work this morning... If you aren't familiar the Suprastick V4 gives you full "tiptronic" style sequential shifting, and also gives you complete control of the automatic shifting of the car. Every shift point - a 120 point table is user-adjustable. The unit is also capable of automapping to make install a snap and the car drivable like stock in just a few hours start to finish. There are 2 tables provided so you can designate 1 for race, and 1 for street - what toyota was trying to do with the ECT button. This new version is programmable on the fly by your own laptop, and displays Gear, mode, lockup, speed, rpm, and throttle information when you are not in the programming mode.

So what's pricing look like on the new v4? I didn't see a price on the site.

#19 ·
It will be posted within the week - expect only a mild step up from the base model. Some of the internal hardware has been updated that increased the costs slightly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.