Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, question about the MANU button, what is the different between using it and not? Because you can still shift (without MANU) from L to D, isn't that the same as using MANU? And if you do use the MANU, do you switch it on, accelerate, and then what? do you lift off the pedal and shift or just shift without lifting your foot?
I've searched but nothing useful.
Thanks.

· Now...Whitesupra94
3,498 Posts
basically it allows you to shift at full throttle. Try to do that without manu mode and it'll bang against the rev limiter. low throttle shifting can be done without using manu mode but whats the point when u can just use the button for it anyway. If you race it right, it can be about .2-.3 faster at the track, because you can take the rpms right to the redline, whereas the auto tranny shifts about 300rpm short(tachs are off by the time you get to that high of an rpm so it looks like your redlining)

its fun for cornering, i like being able to keep the car in gear for weight balance, but its not great to cruise...b/c the TC wont lock and youre pretty much driving around in a 3spd at that point.

· Now...Whitesupra94
3,498 Posts
atmsel said:
so do you shift with your foot on the accl or off and shift?

where ever your foot is when you feel like shifting...thats what the button is for. It will shift under full throttle or with your foot on the brake. at the track i shift full throttle, if a turn is coming up and im playing around on the roads I may drop it into second while under braking. If you were to auto X it or something eventually you would overheat it...the O/D light starts flashing. you just have to take it out of manu and let the trans cool down a bit. at stock power levels you can pretty much do anything with it....just dont nuetral drop it...that probably wouldnt fall under the "anything" category :)

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BlackSupra93 said:
If you were to auto X it or something eventually you would overheat it...the O/D light starts flashing. you just have to take it out of manu and let the trans cool down a bit. at stock power levels you can pretty much do anything with it....just dont nuetral drop it...that probably wouldnt fall under the "anything" category :)
What do you mean by auto X?
will it damage the tranny if you lift off and shift?

· 2JZ NA-T
7,624 Posts
the tach is off t hroughtout the entire RPM range, not just high end, thats what i found out when i had my SAFCII installed, the digital RPM output was about 300-350rpm bellow then wat my tach said, my gues was that it was done so u dont actualy redline the car while thinking u do, just to keep it runing longer, but ye, that manu button really works....cant really feel it in other sedans, but in a supra u can kinda feel the difference when shifting at WOT

· Now...Whitesupra94
3,498 Posts
Ravan17 said:
why would u lift off when u shifting an automatic? its not the same as power shifting in a manual transmition....and yea, Auto X?...
because in high rpm situations under WOT (without manu mode enabled), the tranny refuses to shift when you tell it to.

but it doesn't mean you would lift off...it just means you have to use manu mode :naughty:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.