Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the oil fill plug located? Is it the one that is to the left and above the drain plug?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The manual says to use either 75w-90 or 80w-90 gear oil.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plug is ridiculously difficult to get out. Get a good socket with a U-joint. I recommend Redline MT-90. Makes old trannys new; makes getting into reverse easier than if it had a synchronizer. You'll have to get a small hand pump to fill it, or pour it in the top where the shifter is.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
how often do we have to change this?

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Frankenstein:

The MKIII NA tranny holds 2.5 US quarts, and I think the turbo tranny holds 3.2. You are usually safe to keep filling until it runs out the filler hole. That will, obviously, be enough.

The filler hole is towards the rear, a little above half way up the case, if I remember. It's the only plug there, and it's close to the transmission tunnel and a casting ridge, so it's not easy to get a ring spanner (box-end) on.

·
Boosted NA
246 Posts
how often?

thanks!

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
still confused :eek: ... where exactly do i find the plug and where to fill for the 5 speed???:(

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wisher:

Jack up the front up as high as possible (you'll understand later) and put some jack stands under it. Crawl under and find the drain plug, (24mm if I remember) in the middle bottom of the transmission. Go up the right side the tranny case; half way or slightly more there will be a casting ridge that runs the length of the case. Go towards the rear of the car and just above the casting ridge you will find another hex plug for filling.

This is not easy to get out because you don't have room to get proper leverage even with the jack as high as mine would go; you may want get a garage with a lift and air tools to break it open for you if it has been in for several years. You can get a small hand pump to get the fluid in: there is no way you can pour it in. An alternative is to take the shifter out of the inside of the car (a good time to do the short-shift mod), and dump the fluid in through the cockpit. Be careful because it smells bad, and will not wipe off upholstery easily.

Say, is it beginning to sound as though giving the local Mobil station $29.95 to do do a synthetic gear-oil change could be a good deal?;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts