Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm looking into getting a supra soon and can't figure out if i want to go to a manual or a automatic in the supra. For a supra is the automatic faster or the manual. thanks steve, what are the advantages.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Id say search, but Im sure this topic hasnt been covered....

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
End of the day there are only two options here.

1) Do you like shifting your own gears, having the option of taking the Supra to the track, and having a bulletproof gearbox? Also higher top speed and slightly more power at the wheels.

2) Are you a bit more lazy and would prefer your car shifted gears for you, and possibly have aspirations of building a drag car out of it?

If the answer is 1) buy a manual, if the answer is 2) buy the Auto.

Dan.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Sicarius123 said:

1) Do you like shifting your own gears, having the option of taking the Supra to the track, and having a bulletproof gearbox? Also higher top speed and slightly more power at the wheels.

2) Are you a bit more lazy and would prefer your car shifted gears for you, and possibly have aspirations of building a drag car out of it?

Dan.
Dude, i could drive circles around for starters(and no, i dont know you, nor do i need too to make that statement). So, being lazy doesnt have a damn thing to do with buying an auto. Maybe in list #1 you should have said "do you like being outrun on the track w/ 450whp by a 250whp mustang, then the 6 speed is for you". Mind editing the list to add that? Your comment was just as assinine as mine was

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
Hey look, personally I get bored driving an automatic, something that'll never change. I find automatic is great for a family car, or luxury car, not a sports car.

Also the lazy thing is subjective. Say you drive in bumper to bumper traffic to work every day and cbf changing gears and wearing clutches, it could be being a little lazy, or it could be just being smart for your conditions :p That was mainly what I was referring to. Was more a stock thing I was talking about with that as you could of worked out by my stating straight afterwards the Auto would be better for a built dragger :p

Dan.

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
Sicarius123 said:

Dan.
Over simplified. I'm neither lazy or interested in dragging my car and I got the auto.
Further, I road race it and it really is not that much of a problem, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Since I can go up to 80 mph in 2nd, and that covers a vast majority of a typical road course, I have no problem staying in boost.
You see, even with an auto, you can choose to shift gears, but you have no choice with a 6-speed.
Not to say I wouldn't like to have one of each (actually what I would like is a 5- or 6-speed auto).
Now come down from the 6-speed soapbox.

G

·
also, i think you should take this into consideration...is it going to be a fun extra car or your daily driver? that's something that could definitely impact my opinion

·
Registered
322 Posts
6-speed is the way to go if you want to slam the gears on the track or on any street for that matter, if you want to be "in charge" of driving, Please dont compare your auto shifting by "clicking up to your "D"" to a 6 speed tranny.... ill agree auto should be for family cars or for luxury, if you like to eat burgers while driving, auto's the way to go :bigthumb:

I have many friends that have auto's and when they get to drive standard again, they say they have much more fun. I'm not saying auto is boring or anything along those lines, or "knocking" the auto tranny, there's times I wish I had it myself. But, i would never "choose" auto over the 6 speed. Ever.

Also, Auto is cheaper, and yes, is this just for pleasure, daily driver? etc...

I think sicarius was right with his first post. Why would you auto drivers take offence to his post anyway? If you're so happy with your auto, theres no need to bash the 6 speed is there, and you wouldnt be offended by his comments anyway.

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
To4r-Supra said:
6-speed is the way to go if you want to slam the gears on the track or on any street for that matter, if you want to be "in charge" of driving, Please dont compare your auto shifting by "clicking up to your "D"" to a 6 speed tranny.... ill agree auto should be for family cars or for luxury, if you like to eat burgers while driving, auto's the way to go :bigthumb:
or if you like eating 6-speeds all day :bigthumb:

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
To4r-Supra said:

I have many friends that have auto's and when they get to drive standard again, they say they have much more fun. I'm not saying auto is boring or anything along those lines, or "knocking" the auto tranny, there's times I wish I had it myself. But, i would never "choose" auto over the 6 speed. Ever.

Also, Auto is cheaper, and yes, is this just for pleasure, daily driver? etc...

I think sicarius was right with his first post. Why would you auto drivers take offence to his post anyway? If you're so happy with your auto, theres no need to bash the 6 speed is there, and you wouldnt be offended by his comments anyway.
Those are just your opinions.
Doesn't mean they are right or that me or anyone else should agree with them. I'm not "offended" - but his comments (and yours) need "correcting".
I never bashed the 6-speed but you guys ARE bashing the auto. I guarantee you "lazy" is one word no one applies to me.
Anyway - why are "you 6-speed drivers" taking offense? Tired of losing to autos at the drag strip? :naughty:

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Its all personal preference really

If you are building an all out drag machine then auto but if you are more into just cruising around I'd go 6speed. I've had both and I think the auto was easier and didn't have to worry about a heavy clutch in traffic but those high stall autos are interesting in traffic as well

In the future please search as there are tons of threads on this very topic, thank you

·
Hayai Kuruma!
1,357 Posts
the way I see it, its all preference for u.
I personally love driving manual. Most of my cars are manual.
but u gotta put into consideration, is it a daily driver?
are u gonna be stuck on the frwy during rush hr (aka la/pasadena/hollywood area?)
see mines not a DD, but on some occasions I do take him out;
but..... when I get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, with some type of high heel shoes on and
having a ACT racing clutch its a big OUCH!!!! big time workout! :sadance:

·
Registered
322 Posts
VickSupra said:
Those are just your opinions.
Doesn't mean they are right or that me or anyone else should agree with them. I'm not "offended" - but his comments (and yours) need "correcting".
I never bashed the 6-speed but you guys ARE bashing the auto. I guarantee you "lazy" is one word no one applies to me.
Anyway - why are "you 6-speed drivers" taking offense? Tired of losing to autos at the drag strip? :naughty:

My supra has never hit the drag strip, and never will.

For drag, I have a 5litre mustang, 3 speed auto. Fast. Cheap. Smart.

If i wish to hit corners at the track i have my race bike GSX-R600....

I think I have a good opinion on if he should pick auto or standard.

and for clarification, us 6 speed drivers never took "offence" we just told the truth sweetheart. Is there something wrong with that? lol

and its not opinions, its fact. You're in charge of the car with your 6 speed much more then if you have an auto. The 6-speed is the more desireable transmission, PERIOD. That should speak for itself. Shouldnt it?

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
To4r-Supra said:
My supra has never hit the drag strip, and never will.

For drag, I have a 5litre mustang, 3 speed auto. Fast. Cheap. Smart.

If i wish to hit corners at the track i have my race bike GSX-R600....

I think I have a good opinion on if he should pick auto or standard.

and for clarification, us 6 speed drivers never took "offence" we just told the truth sweetheart. Is there something wrong with that? lol

and its not opinions, its fact. You're in charge of the car with your 6 speed much more then if you have an auto. The 6-speed is the more desireable transmission, PERIOD. That should speak for itself. Shouldnt it?
And I drag race my mustang(tremec TKO) and its a manual so you have a good opinion for YOU, not the world. You have a 6 speed supra(cruiser) and a drag race car(auto). I have an auto cruiser and a manual drag car, I have a good opinion for MYSELF also, even though we apparently have a diff taste in what we choose to do w/ diff cars.
Here is my take on it. Want the funner car, get the 6 speed. Want to win drag races(street or strip) get the auto. Before all you bastards chime in "my 6 speed will kill an auto from a roll anyday of the week", Im talkin about running your average "streetcar" from a 5-10mph roll, whos topspeed(that they race in) is about 120(geared f-bodies, mustangs). I have ran a few 6 speeds from low rolls on the street and to about 125 or so(where I let off) I was still ahead all the while making less power. Want to go kill the bigger bikes, then definatly get the 6 speed. Want a car that really shines up top, get the 6 speed(there really is no contest here)
Its all a matter of prefernce. I know I want be running accross to many vipers or "highway" racers locally so an auto supra is the best choice for me(th400).

·
Registered
322 Posts
slither said:
And I drag race my mustang(tremec TKO) and its a manual so you have a good opinion for YOU, not the world. You have a 6 speed supra(cruiser) and a drag race car(auto). I have an auto cruiser and a manual drag car, I have a good opinion for MYSELF also, even though we apparently have a diff taste in what we choose to do w/ diff cars.
Here is my take on it. Want the funner car, get the 6 speed. Want to win drag races(street or strip) get the auto. Before all you bastards chime in "my 6 speed will kill an auto from a roll anyday of the week", Im talkin about running your average "streetcar" from a 5-10mph roll, whos topspeed(that they race in) is about 120(geared f-bodies, mustangs). I have ran a few 6 speeds from low rolls on the street and to about 125 or so(where I let off) I was still ahead all the while making less power. Want to go kill the bigger bikes, then definatly get the 6 speed. Want a car that really shines up top, get the 6 speed(there really is no contest here)
Its all a matter of prefernce. I know I want be running accross to many vipers or "highway" racers locally so an auto supra is the best choice for me(th400).

I completely agree with you. Your viewpoints even though you have an auto cruiser and manual drag are the same as mine. So apparently we both have the same opinion in the end even if we have completely opposite situations.

In his situation though, the answer should be, to test drive both?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts