Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know which is better as far as turbo response and boost stability.

I have heard that manual boost controllers are more stable and do not spike as much as electronic boost controllers, they also build boost more effeciently.

Most people get ebc for drivability to switch from low boost to high boost, but a lot of track cars use manual, they say that is gives better and more consistant times, it that true?

thanx,

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
UM, id say its the other way. i went from manuel to electronic, and i would never go back. i build boost quicker, and holds PERFECTLY

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ckanderson said:
UM, id say its the other way. i went from manuel to electronic, and i would never go back. i build boost quicker, and holds PERFECTLY
Agreed. I heard the same thing you did, that a manual holds better without creep and that is TOTALLY not true. My turbo spools quicker with my AVC-R holds boost ROCK SOLID, and is very easy to use once you get the hang of it, unlike a MBC where it can be hit and miss, you gotta watch the boost gauge after you adjust it.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
I've heard the same, that MBC is better and EBC is a good tool for its drivability; however I've seen many guys swich from MBCs to EBCs. Anybody who has used both?

·
Registered
133 Posts
LLCoolJ94 said:
I've heard the same, that MBC is better and EBC is a good tool for its drivability; however I've seen many guys swich from MBCs to EBCs. Anybody who has used both?
I've used both and I much, much prefer the EBC to the MBC once you get the hang of using it.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
i used both, wouldent go back, PERIOD

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most people say they prefer the MBC over the EBC is because of cost price, I don't know how true this is with Supra owners, but for some of us it's how it is. The boost selonoid is to prevent boost spiking by fluctuating the air pressure to prevent spiking and be as reliable as possible.

I'm not sure how you boost would increase faster for that's mechanical in the actuated or external waste gate(s).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I paid 10 bucks for my boost controller. its manual , but its works and gets the job done.

·
3,488 Posts
turbofiveoh said:
I've used both and I much, much prefer the EBC to the MBC once you get the hang of using it.
What did you like about the EBC?

·
Registered
133 Posts
LLCoolJ94 said:
What did you like about the EBC?
My turbo spools quicker, it holds boost much more consistently, it can change boost based on speed/gears/RPM, and it's way easier to plug in how much boost I want to the AVC-R then to turn a knob on a manual boost controller and then keep my eyes glued to my boost gauge to see how much i'm making. With a turboXS controller my car would act almost like it had a centrifugal blower, boost would ramp up quickly to about 14 psi @ 4000 RPM's, then continue ramping up to 20 @ 6500. With my AVC-R i'm making 19-20 pounds of boost at about 3300 RPM's, and it holds it rock steady to redline.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
RedRum said:
I have heard that manual boost controllers are more stable and do not spike as much as electronic boost controllers, they also build boost more effeciently.
:bsflag:

Absolutely no comparison between a good EBC and a fooking spring and BB.

MBC's spike like a mother and the spring rates tend to change if they get really hot, and in proximity to the wastegate/header, they do.

EBC's, especially the bell-n-whistle units like the AVC-R with rpm and gear functions, are the only way to fly. (Short of an EMS/boost solenoid, anyway)

·
3,488 Posts
Wow, sounds like a great boost controller! I run the HKS EVC EZ and I don't have the luxary of knowing how much boost I'm running until I "glue my eyes" to the boost gauge during a pull.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have had nothing but bad luck with my blitz sbc-id so i traded it out with a greddy tvvc and i love it. I think the manual does a better job. I used to have boost spike and my boost was uncontrolable when i used methanol kicking in at 14 psi. The boost would should out of control also when i shifted fast and kept my foot on the gas a little bit it would spike at like 27psi. I love my manual bc

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have been using a MBC for 2 years and my friends use EBCs.
Basically its a matter of preference and money.
I have had no negative comments of EBC or MBC. They both work very well.
BTW I use the Hallman MBC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts