Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if I should get a manual boost controller over an electronic one? Besides having all the bells and whistles is there any advantage of an electronic one. Ive heard they dont work properly is this true?

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
easily being able to change the boost without testing is the main advantage of the electronic (after its programed, just switch between hi and low).. otherwise mbcs work just as good..

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,130 Posts
Boost response is different.

With a MBC I'd boost say 10.5psi
With my EVC IV I'd boost that 10.5psi but much much sharper.

·
Registered
481 Posts
electronic is the way to go - - unless u have a correctly mated wastegate spring

if u got a stock 7 psi wg sring and u want to run 18 psi boost dont wastee ya time with a mbc. boost will spike drop off and like the guy above said - will be no where near as responsiove as an electronic controller.. however if u got a 1 bar spring and want to run 17 psi - mbc would be a better option for the money

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't know why anyone would go mbc over ebc. I prefer to hit the boost I set it at, instead of having to reset it every season change and hit lower/higher boost on hot days/cool days.

·
Registered
146 Posts
probably because not everyone can afford an ebc compared to making your own mbc for $20 at home depot. its worked fine for me in the past couple months with no problems boosting 10 psi. now obviously if your putting out higher boost, this might not be the best option. then again, if you can afford to boost that high (with all the other right parts that is) then you should be able to afford an ebc.

·
WhorE
504 Posts
Dark006 said:
probably because not everyone can afford an ebc compared to making your own mbc for $20 at home depot. its worked fine for me in the past couple months with no problems boosting 10 psi. now obviously if your putting out higher boost, this might not be the best option. then again, if you can afford to boost that high (with all the other right parts that is) then you should be able to afford an ebc.

:werd:

·
Powderin my balls since07
2,175 Posts
MK3Brent said:
Boost response is different.

With a MBC I'd boost say 10.5psi
With my EVC IV I'd boost that 10.5psi but much much sharper.
what do u mean by sharper if u dont mind my asking?
thx

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
some MBC's help boost quicker too. I know my Turbo XS gets the 1st three turns to sharpen the boost, then every turn from there should be +1 psi.
Ive used them both and prefer an MBC., Easy to set, less problems. MBC's arent the only thing prone to weather, your Wastegate and EBC are also. cold weather causes spikes alot

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,130 Posts
Yeah, it's like running with NO wastegate for about .8 seconds. :)

Then it allows the air to the valve.

I made a mistake in my last video, where I thought I was running different boost levels... but in fact every run was 10.5 psi. (The EVC wasn't calibrated, so turning the knob didn't do anything.)

The first run was with the EVC IV off, and the second was with the EVC IV on.

You can hear the difference.
http://media.putfile.com/MK3Brent-t-66

1 - 17 of 17 Posts