Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, ive had my Auto supra for a few weeks but i still havent figured out how to manually shift it. There is L (1st?) 2 (second) and then D (auto). Now, there is a manual button. So if say i want to launch the car and shift manually, i start in L, shift to 2 and then to D? Sorry, ive been driving a manual since i learned to drive. ;)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
L = 1st gear
2 = 2nd Gear
D = 3rd gear
OD = 4th gear (leaving button depressed leaves car in third gear, pushing it in puts it in fourth gear, and depressing it again downshifts to 4th gear)

As for the manu mode, not pushing it in simply makes it so that the car still downshifts when starting in any gear. (ie: starting in D or 2 will give you quick accelereration because the computer downshifts automatically)

By pushing the manu mode, it takes away all function of the auto tranny. For instance, if you start in D with manu mode on, the tranny won't downshift on it's own and it will feel as if you were starting in third gear on a manual car. If you do this from a stop you'll have SLOW acceleration. Also, in manu mode, there is no OD.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Just leave th car in drive. Toyota did a great job on the tranny, let it shift by itself.

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
Just leave th car in drive. Toyota did a great job on the tranny, let it shift by itself.
True 99% of the time.
The only time I ever need to shift manually is in road racing. (Yeah, save the 6-spd jokes).

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah can it hurt shifting manually without putting the Manu mode on? Can I fuck up anything? Thanks

NOOB

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
93ttbpu said:
Yeah can it hurt shifting manually without putting the Manu mode on? Can I fuck up anything? Thanks

NOOB
I dont think it would hurt anything but I've always found my car to be quickest when it shifts itself;)

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Hi guys, I love this forum, finally found out what the MANU button is for (I don't have an owner's manual).

One question though:

If I put the shift lever in L, turn MANU on and OD off, should I press the shift button when pushing the lever from L to 2 and from 2 to 3? Or just push it?

I'm from Europe, always driven manual trannies, cars don't come with auto trannies here. Except the supras that is :D So I'm not sure how this launching thing is done. When I normally go from L to D or something, I press the shift button nicely before and while moving the lever, but maybe that is not necessary when it is in MANU mode?

Thanks!

·
Registered
386 Posts
my manu mode doesnt come on when i push the button. it used to work but a few weeks ago it went out along with the traction control.

·
Registered
183 Posts
addicted 2 b00st said:
my manu mode doesnt come on when i push the button. it used to work but a few weeks ago it went out along with the traction control.
that's correct, manual mode is disabled when you pull the TRAC fuse. i wouldn't mess with manual, if you want quicker acceleration, leave it in D and turn the O/D off. that's what i do at the track and on the dyno.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Bump, any kind soul want to tell me if you still need to press the shifter while moving the lever in MANU mode? :) If you do, that'll cost time and maybe negate any bonus MANU has over regular D mode?

I know I should just go try it, but the car is undergoing work till the weekend.

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
cherzra said:

I know I should just go try it, but the car is undergoing work till the weekend.
I can't remember. I think you have to press it when you down shift - but not upshift.
I guess we will just have to try it out. BTW - it won't cost any time since it's not like a clutch.

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
VickSupra said:
I can't remember. I think you have to press it when you down shift - but not upshift.
I guess we will just have to try it out. BTW - it won't cost any time since it's not like a clutch.
I tried it on the way home.
Upshift with no button.
Downshift requires button.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Thanks bud!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Manu

Hi

If I understand L is 1, 2 is 2, D is 3 and then we press the button OD at what speed ?, is these correct, anyone could put hear an video ??????

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
You dont have to push the O/D button at all. OD is jsut for gas savings and most built autos do not even have an od button.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts