Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone tried out these exhausts?
I’m going to order one, for some reason my 1989 has two mufflers one looks new the other is stock makes no sense,
DD72618F-D982-4897-9273-C61B5EAE9AF1.png

·
Registered
751 Posts
Just your typical mass produced chinese exhaust system with what will most likely be terrible fitment. Pretty sure I saw that exhaust system on Alibaba for like $90.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just your typical mass produced chinese exhaust system with what will most likely be terrible fitment. Pretty sure I saw that exhaust system on Alibaba for like $90.
Yeah there advertised for like 160 lol what exhaust dose everyone else run?

·
Registered
72 Posts
The stock system has a Muffler a resonator and a cat.

I bought a similar one from a reputed retailer and it hung to low, looked like I had a trashcan under the bumper and droned horribly.

·
Registered
630 Posts
maybe with a stock downpipe /cat (aka running it as a "cat back") they sound like a tin can...I dont know

Im running very similar cheepo exh with a 3" divorced (recirculating) downpipe and a test pipe...and without the insert in the muffler

sounds really good to me. deep low idle you can feel in your chest when you walk behind it, not much drone at hwy speed, loud at WOT and free enough you can hear the turbine whine / wind up through it.

but Triz if your in LA/cali I can't imagine you can run it like I do since you have inspections etc.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Looks like a Blitz nur-spec clone. Unbelievable how things like these can be made/sold for the prices they have. Cheap garbage.
Know all those T4 manifolds you see for sale everywhere?

$12USD each shipped when you buy 20 of them. No, I didn't miss a zero on that.

Yeah there advertised for like 160 lol what exhaust dose everyone else run?
On the quiet end: Tanabe Touring Medallion ~$580. This is a high quality Japanese exhaust.
Slightly louder: HKS Super Dragger ~$790. Another high quality Japanese exhaust.

If you're looking for something loud try to find a used Blitz Nur Spec or an Apexi N1. Barring those you're looking at chinese junk (Megan Racing etc.) or custom made which will vary wildly depending on quality and complexity.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,940 Posts
On the quiet end: Tanabe Touring Medallion ~$580. This is a high quality Japanese exhaust.
This is what I run on my FD. Extremely nice quality. Controlled and tame sound. No drone.
Yep. I remember when these GReddy clone manifolds first came out... and even then, $600 was a cheap price tag... $12 is just ridiculous. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
630 Posts
oh man that tube manifold brings back memories. the fitment / welds / everything is horrendous on that. been there done that. ended up taking it off and passing it on (never made it past the bolt it up and say wtf stage). my passenger strut tower still wears the hammer marks from that fail lol.

but IMHO you guys are a bit hard on the cheep exhaust. they flow good, don't rust, if you dick with the hangers you can get it fitting ok. don't get me wrong its a tuner can.... but its way better than stock performance wise

·
Registered
751 Posts
This is what I run on my FD. Extremely nice quality. Controlled and tame sound. No drone.
Had the Super Medallion on my 89 until I pulled it to put on my 87 daily. Nice deep tone, perfect fitment, no drone, and almost as quiet as stock with a cat-less 3" downpipe and cat delete pipe. Absolutely love it.

but IMHO you guys are a bit hard on the cheep exhaust. they flow good, don't rust, if you dick with the hangers you can get it fitting ok. don't get me wrong its a tuner can.... but its way better than stock performance wise
There's cheap and then there's shit. I've seen some of the "stainless" coming out of china that has less than 2% nickel, which isn't even close to a 3 series stainless much less the 304 that it's advertised as. The exhaust shown might be a 4 series stainless, which doesn't have the corrosion resistance that your typical 3 series does. Might be.

Better than stock performance wise, sure, I'll give it that much.

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
Know all those T4 manifolds you see for sale everywhere?
View attachment 246933

Slightly louder: HKS Super Dragger ~$790. Another high quality Japanese exhaust.

If you're looking for something loud try to find a used Blitz Nur Spec or an Apexi N1. Barring those you're looking at chinese junk (Megan Racing etc.) or custom made which will vary wildly depending on quality and complexity.
Don't forget the HKS LET - T16 75 mm exhaust. Typical, high quality HKS product with perfect fitment:

Ken.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Manzo. It’s actually pretty good. You may need to make a pipe to fit between the cat and it though (I did at least with my 1JZ swap and whatever downpipe I have). Fitment otherwise was bolt-on. Pop out the silencer plate before putting the muffler on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the Manzo. It’s actually pretty good. You may need to make a pipe to fit between the cat and it though (I did at least with my 1JZ swap and whatever downpipe I have). Fitment otherwise was bolt-on. Pop out the silencer plate before putting the muffler on.
Thanks buddy!! That’s what I needed to hear, I’m not going to be running the cat for now I may end up getting a high flow cat,

will it just bolt up without the car or is there a missing section for the cat to be welded to 🤔

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks buddy!! That’s what I needed to hear, I’m not going to be running the cat for now I may end up getting a high flow cat,

will it just bolt up without the car or is there a missing section for the cat to be welded to 🤔
There’s a missing section where the original cat may have been. My swap was so long ago I don’t remember the stock exhaust. The Manzo piping stops somewhere near the passenger seat.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've run or driven the following:

Stock. Nice and quiet, really nice construction, unsurprisingly.

HKS Sport, likely the exhaust that Ken posted above, it looked quite similar, although I can't recall if it had the inner pipes. It was a twin tip exit though. VERY quiet when cruising... but a lovely sound when you put your foot in it. Fantastic for a daily or road trip car, low drama, for better or worse, depending on taste.

HKS Hi-Power Silent. This is my current setup. Quiet and calm, but makes its presence known at a reasonable volume when cruising through the neighborhood. It's about at the limit of what I'd call a "polite neighbor" exhaust, but when kids notice that you're coming down the road and get out of it, well, it's nice and safe. Wanna get rowdy though? It'll get rowdy, and has a nice tone too. No drone on the highway.

Blitz Nur-Spec. This one was pretty loud, but man... it sounds GOOD on a 1jz. Reasonable on the highway with the silencer installed, which is easily removed with a 10mm. Again, loud, it's gonna attract attention, both in a good way and bad. May be discontinued, I bought mine used.

RS*R uh... not sure what model this one was. May have been a GTII Ex-MAG or some odd name like that. Straight as an arrow more or less. There is a knock off of this design available last I checked, the original is likely long since discontinued. This is what came on my 89 when I bought it. Sounds like a large displacement, pissed off sport bike... all... the... time. 14 hour drive to Arizona, you ask? Yeah... about hour three, you're gonna be questioning your choices in life. I mean, it's better than a kick in the nuts or an open downpipe, but just barely. Had a friend tell me once that he heard (loud and clear) me getting on the highway as he was turning off the main road to go to his house. We were at least three miles apart by this point. This was on stock twins and it was this loud...

No matter which route you go, I recommend a resonator unless you're a fan of drone. Easily removable silencers are nice too. Depends on what you're using the car for though. Short trips or having fun, go nuts. Road tripper? You'll appreciate the lack of a headache when you get there more than you'll appreciate the "awesome" sounds for hours on end at the same rpm range. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Merry Christmas everyone!

I ended up finding a full exhaust for the car on offerup

even came with a T4 exhaust manifold

installed yesterday, and man oh man whydose the elbow have to be so darn hard to take Off, full down pipe andexhaust with a newer catalytic converter, it sounds almost to quiet and I was expecting more drone but as I drove it it sounds perfect and I’m getting about 5psi of boost car fells very responsive

·
Registered
630 Posts
yeah buddy a little xmas gift for yourself right on (and merry Christmas back at you)

did you pull out the choke tube in the muffler ? if not then yeah it will be quiet and restricted since those are typically very small. a free exhaust (downpipe/entire system) sometimes puts an otherwise stock 7mgte right up against fuel cut. kind of surprised your only seeing 5psi actually. is it restricted at the muffler ?

sounds like you need some washers stacked up on the wastegate :) 5psi is just not enough imho haha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah buddy a little xmas gift for yourself right on (and merry Christmas back at you)

did you pull out the choke tube in the muffler ? if not then yeah it will be quiet and restricted since those are typically very small. a free exhaust (downpipe/entire system) sometimes puts an otherwise stock 7mgte right up against fuel cut. kind of surprised your only seeing 5psi actually. is it restricted at the muffler ?

sounds like you need some washers stacked up on the wastegate :) 5psi is just not enough imho haha
I agree!! I need a lot more, hahah I would love to get some more boost do you have a link how to do that hahah

yeah I need more boost more boost more boost

1 - 20 of 29 Posts