Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of having air/fuel issues with my Supercharged Tacoma I finally opted to give the map ecu a try and see what it could do.

The unit was fairly straight forward to setup with a tiny bit of phone guidance from OBiwan.

6 wire hook up which was 1 power, 2 grounds, 1 map output voltage to stock ecu, throttle position wire, and rpm.

The whole thing took me about 2 hours to setup and that was taking my time doing eveything.

The hardest part was figuring out how to get a vacuum source to run to the unit due to the supercharger setup.

Ben sent me a base map to start with. I loaded it up and then set the TPS open and closed parameters so it could see the proper throttle postion, and fired her up. It started a tad rich due to my elevation in CO. but I simply pulled a touch of fuel out of it in the idle areas and it was fine.

Took me a little while to dial in the boost ranges of the map (running 9 psi) and I was using a Motec PLM I picked up from Ben a couple years back. Great unit to tune with. Mounts to the windshield and is very easily moveable so I can take it out of the truck when I am not using it. Hardest part of the install of the PLM was simply having a wideband 02 bung welded on my exhaust. Otherwise the system is plug and play so to speak. You simply install the wideband sensor into the bung, then run the cord into the truck, plug the PLM into the lighter socket, suction to window, and away we go. Piece of cake. (although its not a cheap item by any means...)

So once the map areas were dialed in (my first time tuning a map ecu) it ran so much stronger then before and I was finally able to lean the A/F's out and get my gas mileage back along with what feels like 40rwhp more power. Im kicking myself now for waiting so long to do it. The money I wasted on gas would have paid for the unit 20X over by now.

I used very little tps enrichment per Ben's instructions and no MAP enrichment at all. (Last thing I needed was more fuel) The truck is a standard and it runs better then ever before and brought the joy back to owning it. :)

So big thanks to OBiwan (Ben) for helping me out with everything! The map ecu is my Tacoma's new best friend, and I cant wait for some warmer weather to take her up into the hills!

:)

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Thanks for the write up! Glad it solved the issue's for you and made that cool truck more enjoyable!

A friends father is about to set it up on his Supercharged Tacoma as well and I'll tune it next weekend.

His is an auto though so well see how the power compares.

Talk to you soon.

Ben

·
SupraForums Manufacturer/Tuner
1,002 Posts
TECHNOSUPRA said:
After years of having air/fuel issues with my Supercharged Tacoma I finally opted to give the map ecu a try and see what it could do.

The unit was fairly straight forward to setup with a tiny bit of phone guidance from OBiwan.

6 wire hook up which was 1 power, 2 grounds, 1 map output voltage to stock ecu, throttle position wire, and rpm.

The whole thing took me about 2 hours to setup and that was taking my time doing eveything.

The hardest part was figuring out how to get a vacuum source to run to the unit due to the supercharger setup.

Ben sent me a base map to start with. I loaded it up and then set the TPS open and closed parameters so it could see the proper throttle postion, and fired her up. It started a tad rich due to my elevation in CO. but I simply pulled a touch of fuel out of it in the idle areas and it was fine.

Took me a little while to dial in the boost ranges of the map (running 9 psi) and I was using a Motec PLM I picked up from Ben a couple years back. Great unit to tune with. Mounts to the windshield and is very easily moveable so I can take it out of the truck when I am not using it. Hardest part of the install of the PLM was simply having a wideband 02 bung welded on my exhaust. Otherwise the system is plug and play so to speak. You simply install the wideband sensor into the bung, then run the cord into the truck, plug the PLM into the lighter socket, suction to window, and away we go. Piece of cake. (although its not a cheap item by any means...)

So once the map areas were dialed in (my first time tuning a map ecu) it ran so much stronger then before and I was finally able to lean the A/F's out and get my gas mileage back along with what feels like 40rwhp more power. Im kicking myself now for waiting so long to do it. The money I wasted on gas would have paid for the unit 20X over by now.

I used very little tps enrichment per Ben's instructions and no MAP enrichment at all. (Last thing I needed was more fuel) The truck is a standard and it runs better then ever before and brought the joy back to owning it. :)

So big thanks to OBiwan (Ben) for helping me out with everything! The map ecu is my Tacoma's new best friend, and I cant wait for some warmer weather to take her up into the hills!

:)
Thanks for the positive write-up about the MAP ECU. Its about time.... Simply amazing what a $1000 wideband A/F meter will do for tuning the MAP ECU, isn't it LOL!

Thanks,

·
Banned
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem. I am thrilled with the unit and am just so happy to finally have my truck where I wanted it to be years ago. I was on the verge of selling it due to frustration but am now very happy that I didnt. I should have tried the unit sooner.

The PLM is an awesome unit. Though I have Knock amps in my other cars that work just as well in my opinion but are not even remotely portable. The knock amps arent cheap either but seem to integrate perfectly with the F-con's.

What can I say though, Ben has always taken care of me, recommends great products, and were all lucky to have him on board. :) Especially you, lol

You guys keep up the great work and if you come up next weekend we can all get together.

Sorry I missed you in Vegas Jarrett. Though the track was less then ideal.

·
MKIV Fanboy....
126 Posts
OH MY GOD !!!

this is what i wanted to hear.....i've been debating what to get rid of my s-afc with and I think i found the answer.

I think it's time to contact ben...!!! woooo

btw - techno, what else do you have done to your tacoma ?

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Yeah typical, when I am almost out of units I tap into a market that needed this unit badly. Story of my life :)

Let me know what I can do to help.

Thanks

Ben

1,442 Posts
I'll second that statement. It does rock. I finally got my supra running this weekend and had the car tuned in an hour. Amazing, It took my 2 years on the AEM EMS and it still wasn't perfect. To stubborn to take it to a tuner, but with the MAP ECU I had it done in an hour and finally enjoying my car. Thanks powerhouse and obiwan for the great deal on the unit.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
TECHNOSUPRA, thats awesome! I am having an extremely hard time figuring out how to convert my USDM 2JZGTE from MAF to MAP so I can run a Apexi Power FC. There are people on here who have done it, but when I ask how they accomplished this, they just tell me “I don’t know”. I wish there was a write up on this...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I am on the verge of goin' with the VPC/SAFC combo but really interested in the MAP ECU. First off, its much CHEAPER to go with. But what I am worried about is tuning it myself(I would rather learn then take to a shop that is reputable)

OBIWAN, would you help out others like you helped out TECHNA? I am talkin' tellin' him each step of the way,(basically talkin' to him like he is a 1st grader) because I gurantee you taht I will probably confuse you, lol. What major/minor changes are you goin' to change with the MAP ECU? TPS, a/f? I really wish there was a "tuning for dummies" to guide you through the way. I know my stuff but just intimidated caus' I haven't had too much experience with tuning.

Is this the new verison you are sellin' in your sig?

·
Premium Member
10,090 Posts
No offense, but why ANYONE would go with VPC + anything is beyond me. Its so antiquated! MAP ECU cost LESS and does so much more. The VPC pressure sensor is discontinued and out of stock at HKS and MVP. So when your VPC pressure sensor goes out, and its WILL - its a sensor, your VPC just became an expensive paper weight.

If you do the VPC, do NOT NOT NOT NOT hardwire an AFC between the VPC and ECU. That is a HUGE mistake that Ben, Jarrett, and myself have been jumping up & down screaming from the rooftops for YEARS telling people not to do it. It can screw up everything! Its VPC + GCC ONLY. Never, ever, ever hardwire anything in between the VPC and ECU. 3 years after its discontinued and I'm still screaming it...

Good luck with your decision,

Dusty

·
SupraForums Manufacturer/Tuner
1,002 Posts
V8 Killer said:
No offense, but why ANYONE would go with VPC + anything is beyond me. Its so antiquated! MAP ECU cost LESS and does so much more. The VPC pressure sensor is discontinued and out of stock at HKS and MVP. So when your VPC pressure sensor goes out, and its WILL - its a sensor, your VPC just became an expensive paper weight.

If you do the VPC, do NOT NOT NOT NOT hardwire an AFC between the VPC and ECU. That is a HUGE mistake that Ben, Jarrett, and myself have been jumping up & down screaming from the rooftops for YEARS telling people not to do it. It can screw up everything! Its VPC + GCC ONLY. Never, ever, ever hardwire anything in between the VPC and ECU. 3 years after its discontinued and I'm still screaming it...

Dusty
I didnt even know there were any VPC's left out there for sale LOL!

Damn newbies ha ha....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
8secsupra said:
I didnt even know there were any VPC's left out there for sale LOL!

Damn newbies ha ha....
huh? newbie? obviously i wasn't clear enough. I was reffering to buying a used vpc/safc combo with the fields harness. :scratch: I knew they were discontinued. ghees..

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
RichGT said:
I am on the verge of goin' with the VPC/SAFC combo but really interested in the MAP ECU. First off, its much CHEAPER to go with. But what I am worried about is tuning it myself(I would rather learn then take to a shop that is reputable)

OBIWAN, would you help out others like you helped out TECHNA? I am talkin' tellin' him each step of the way,(basically talkin' to him like he is a 1st grader) because I gurantee you taht I will probably confuse you, lol. What major/minor changes are you goin' to change with the MAP ECU? TPS, a/f? I really wish there was a "tuning for dummies" to guide you through the way. I know my stuff but just intimidated caus' I haven't had too much experience with tuning.

Is this the new verison you are sellin' in your sig?
Are you installing this in a MKIV? IF so then the plug and play harness is the way to go and will take away 98% of the install issues.

Allyou have to do is connect the harness, run a vacuum line from the engine bay to the map ecu, and then put a resistor in the MAF plug.

Thats it, plain and simple.

Takes me 15 minutes on average.

Let me know what you woudl like to do and Ill see what I can do to help.

Just contact me directly. [email protected]

Thanks

Ben

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Obiwan said:
Are you installing this in a MKIV? IF so then the plug and play harness is the way to go and will take away 98% of the install issues.

Allyou have to do is connect the harness, run a vacuum line from the engine bay to the map ecu, and then put a resistor in the MAF plug.

Thats it, plain and simple.

Takes me 15 minutes on average.

Let me know what you woudl like to do and Ill see what I can do to help.

Just contact me directly. [email protected]

Thanks

Ben
great, will your sale on the map ecu's end soon? My next paycheck will go towards that. I know my gas mileage sucks and california aint no joke!!! Of course, I want the power of lean. ;)

Is this your new map ecu? Is that what TECHNO was using?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
can the map ecu and s-afc be hooked up together? if its possible i would like to have this done just so i can use the map ecu for tuning but also so i can use the s-afc for some simple monitoring

·
Registered
191 Posts
BWsupra97 said:
can the map ecu and s-afc be hooked up together? if its possible i would like to have this done just so i can use the map ecu for tuning but also so i can use the s-afc for some simple monitoring

Why would you want to use the S-AFC if you get the MAP? MAP does everything that the S-AFC does and much much more. Just get a wideband with the map and call it a day. :)

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
It could be done. Its redundancy to the nth degree but it could be done. Just piggy the AFC off the Map Ecu but dont connect the voltage input or outputs. Then you can monitor all the same things you normally would without affecting anything.

Hope that helps

Ben

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
V8 Killer said:

Dusty
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4116474#post4116474
Post #19

1 - 20 of 25 Posts